Summer 2017 Patch Notes Discussion

Do I get this right?

The settler and district part of the patch note do not have anything to do with each other. It's just phrased weirdly, but the patch notes are kinda meh anyways.

Increased the discount for districts you have less of from 25% to 40%

Can someone explain this? I'm not feeling too bright today.

But anyhow, I've not played a lot lately but these all sound like good changes.

As others have mentioned, I am a bit skeptical of the settler cost increase as it relates to peaceful expansion. Seems like its just another incentive to warmonger.

Overall great changes, Norway might be my new go-to civ.

But anyhow, I've not played a lot lately but these all sound like good changes.
In certain situations (if you have fewer of one district than your average - there's a whole argument to this), some districts are given a discount.

So, say you have 2 copies each of all districts except no holy sites, then previously they gave you a 25% discount on holy sites - now that's 40%. So it encourages you to build districts you have fewer of.

You get a discount if you have less of a certain district than others. We are still working out exactly when it happens, details are in a thread called district costs.

As others have mentioned, I am a bit skeptical of the settler cost increase as it relates to peaceful expansion. Seems like its just another incentive to warmonger.

Overall great changes, Norway might be my new go-to civ.

Norway's Holy Sites are going to be mini Industrial Zones if placed correctly. I foresee a lot of people favoring peninsular placement over Woods. If you can manage to corral a 1-tile island within range of a city, even better.

Norway's Holy Sites are going to be mini Industrial Zones if placed correctly. I foresee a lot of people favoring peninsular placement over Woods. If you can manage to corral a 1-tile island within range of a city, even better.
It doesn't matter where the holy site is placed in relation to the resources correct? It just says it gets a bonus for all of the resources within the city boundaries.

Not a big fan of the font changes. There was nothing wrong with them to begin with. I guess I just get used to things a certain way.

The production menu color seems different as well, or maybe it's because I'm playing Nubia?

Doesn't it apply simply to all resources in the city with a Stave Church? That's what I thought from reading the patch note.

I'm on board with about 90% of the changes. Not sure about settler cost, I will say that even in peaceful games there's a little too much incentive to just spam settlers as opposed to building up districts.

Decreasing district costs, but increasing building costs is nice. There's less incentive to just spam victory districts and buildings and just neglect everything else. Spy cost reduction seems overpowered and unnecessary. Huge fan of the city wall changes. Would have liked to see a complete overhaul of the warmongering penalty system, would also liked to have seen civs offer more balanced trades when suing for peace.

A lot of good changes here, including some much needed buffs for the weaker civs. I especially like the Stave church bonus for Norway. Norway was already not terrible on water maps, but now, it should be fairly good. It's the first time my country is represented in Civ, so I would be happy if it's not in the bottom tier anymore.

I will need to update my analysis on Egypt vs Nubia in the other thread, as the Chariot Archer doesn't suck quite as badly any more. I still think Nubia is a great deal better though.

Anyway, this looks like a very good patch. :)

" increased per settler cost bump by 50"
Bye bye peaceful builds, just encoutrages more war

This is a HUGE change.. massive benefits all over, wellk doine Firaxis! well worth the wait

i agree, on paper looks like a great patch overall. would have liked to see a settler price reduction, bummed about this change. prior to patch, 15-20 max built settlers was imo the practical limit of settlers in the early to mid game. will have to see in practice, but 10-12 built settlers may now be the practical limit. definitely encourages more war and higher difficulty settings.

I will need to update my analysis on Egypt vs Nubia in the other thread, as the Chariot Archer doesn't suck quite as badly any more. I still think Nubia is a great deal better though.

It's less of a delayed investment, that's all. Its actual cost over the course of the game is exactly the same since its upgrade cost is increased to reflect its lowered building cost (30g to 50g). And the global decrease to districts means Egypt gets fewer "free" hammers than it did before. Overall Egypt is just a little bit weaker than it was, and a bit easier to play.

Last edited:
i agree, on paper looks like a great patch overall. would have liked to see a settler price reduction, bummed about this change. prior to patch, 15-20 max built settlers was imo the practical limit of settlers in the early to mid game. will have to see in practice, but 10-12 built settlers may now be the practical limit. definitely encourages more war and higher difficulty settings.

Well that and the AI becoming more aggressive when you are about to win could cause issues since it skews it once again to war.

I'd be worried even more about the later change, since that makes diplomacy even less appealing.

Good changes overall, although if I'm honest, I would have liked some more considering we had to wait 4 months for this update.

Top Bottom