Summer Project

techumseh

Deity
As a project for the summer, I've restarted the Burma scenario I was working on a year or so ago. I've reduced the scope of the map, which originally included Malaya and Singapore, to just Burma-India and S. China. The Malayan campaign was really
quite separate and pretty much a forgone conclusion anyway. It will reduce
the complexity of the Japanese offensive and allow it to be handled by the
AI with event support.

The British, what with Chindits, Merill's Marauders and the odd flanking landing, will be more interesting for the human player. The Chinese will be split: those under Stilwell's command will be under the control of the British player, the remainder will be run by a separate AI. Thai forces (a Japanese ally) will also have their own civ. There will be two sets of Rules and Terrain files: dry season and monsoon. It will run from Jan. 42 to Sept 45 or 45 turns. Here's the Title page:

Attachments

• Title.gif
    Title.gif
    195.3 KB · Views: 240
Great! I was really looking forward to this scenario. It is a fascinating, though often overlooked, theatre. So many interesting units and innovative tactics not used in other theatres. If it is half as good as your other scenarios we're in for a treat!

Thanks Curt. I really would love to finish B&I, as I have a complete set of Gareth's best units. The diplomacy, which is central to the concept for the scenario, presents some unsolved problems. Bismarck fought wars with clearly limited objectives; for example, he decisively defeated Austria, then refused to keep any of it's territory, in order to forge long term German unity for the next war with France. I'm still trying to figure out how to build that into the scenario. How do you decisively defeat another civ, without capturing any of it's cities? There are a few other problems to be sorted out as well.

Indeed, dude - I can totally appreciate the barriers the CIV2 engine throws up at us when trying to recreate historical situations.

Once the Burma scen is over, we could launch a thread to look into the issues and see if we can formulate some fixes...

In the meantime - Looking forward to some hardcore fighting in the tropics!

Thanks, CS. That sounds like a good plan. Perhaps we can get some creative collaborative ideas to succeed where my poor brain has failed. Or maybe I'll just have to throw out my obsession with historical accuracy and make it a conquest of Europe scenario.

However, I really want to build in a strong diplomatic sub-game, where correct diplomatic choices (mostly researching the correct technologies in the correct order, but also including refraining from ocupying enemy cities in some cases) by the Prussians keep other powers out or in of the various wars, eg. Sweden out and Austria in when attacking Denmark, Italy in and France out when attacking Austria, and Austria, England and Russia out when attacking France. Bismarck's objective was not the conquest of Europe, but the unification of Germany, and that's what I'd like to simulate if possible.

Burma will be simpler, the main specialized features being the Chindits (based on the airborne system in Market-Garden) and the Monsoon, using file switching to replace terrain graphics and rules files. I've got the map, rules and most graphics ready to go, I'm just waiting on a few units from Fairline. I hope to have it ready for playtest sometime in early Autumn.

Thanks Curt. I really would love to finish B&I, as I have a complete set of Gareth's best units. The diplomacy, which is central to the concept for the scenario, presents some unsolved problems. Bismarck fought wars with clearly limited objectives; for example, he decisively defeated Austria, then refused to keep any of it's territory, in order to forge long term German unity for the next war with France. I'm still trying to figure out how to build that into the scenario. How do you decisively defeat another civ, without capturing any of it's cities? There are a few other problems to be sorted out as well.

I know I should save this for the appropriate thread, but I'm worried I may get busy and forget to post it. I'll post this B&I idea here and now, then. Perhaps, regarding the Prusso-Austrian War, have the objective be the destruction of certain specialized units and have Austrian cities protected each by a nigh-indestructible defender (a forseeable possible issue is if the stupid AI decides to hole up the special units in the cities). Just a thought...

I know I should save this for the appropriate thread, but I'm worried I may get busy and forget to post it. I'll post this B&I idea here and now, then. Perhaps, regarding the Prusso-Austrian War, have the objective be the destruction of certain specialized units and have Austrian cities protected each by a nigh-indestructible defender (a forseeable possible issue is if the stupid AI decides to hole up the special units in the cities). Just a thought...

A further suggestion, before I go to bed and forget, is, you might ask, "How can I arrange for the destruction of a few trigger units to bring peace, as the computer usually only offers on the capture of a city and, of course, it can't be event-triggered into peace." That's simple. You just swap rules.txt files and render all Austrian units a move of 0. So, while they may well be 'war enraged,' they can't do anything about it. That tactic could be used for the other wars as well.

I'm resuming work on Burma Campaign. Fairline and Tanelorn have contributed some outstanding units. Here's my working units file. Some screen shots to follow.

Some units, eg. French, Dutch and some naval units will not be used, as I cut down the map to exclude Malaya/Singapore so I could concentrate on the Burma theatre.

Attachments

• units.png
    units.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 227
That is good looking... On the issue of B & I, you could do the following: put Austrian fake cities (only image) and generates a unit or more capacity building (but without moving so it can not generate cities): this will allow civilization to work for AI, and disappear when they are destroyed. That's all I can think of. I hope it works, because I'm willing to enjoy that scenario. Best of luck.
Salud, pan y trabajo.

Forgive my gap in aviation roundel knowledge, but whom does the dark blue ring surrounding a white represent? I figure the light-blue ring around a white circle is the RAAF, but the one with the dark blue ring seems to have quite a few aircraft on that units file.

I like how the monsoon palette suggests clouds and fog. I'm looking forward to it!

Forgive my gap in aviation roundel knowledge, but whom does the dark blue ring surrounding a white represent? I figure the light-blue ring around a white circle is the RAAF, but the one with the dark blue ring seems to have quite a few aircraft on that units file.

The red dot was removed on British aircraft in the Asia/Pacific theatre to avoid confusion with Japanese aircraft with their red sun markings.

EZRhino said:
I like how the monsoon palette suggests clouds and fog. I'm looking forward to it!
Thanks. A little river flooding too, it's a 5 month downpour!

The red dot was removed on British aircraft in the Asia/Pacific theatre to avoid confusion with Japanese aircraft with their red sun markings.

I wasn't aware of that. Would you mind terribly if I borrowed the roundel to update my one or two RAF planes in my EotRS scenario, for when I (eventually) get back to it?

I wasn't aware of that. Would you mind terribly if I borrowed the roundel to update my one or two RAF planes in my EotRS scenario, for when I (eventually) get back to it?

help yourself - the brits used blue on white like NZ and Aus in the Pacific and blue on dark blue in Burma as shown here.

I'm resuming work on Burma Campaign. Fairline and Tanelorn have contributed some outstanding units. Here's my working units file. Some screen shots to follow.

Some units, eg. French, Dutch and some naval units will not be used, as I cut down the map to exclude Malaya/Singapore so I could concentrate on the Burma theatre.

There's some pretty nasty old stuff there Techumseh. If and when you finish this I can make some new versions.

Sorry that sounded a bit arsey from me there....
What I meant to say was would you like me to update your units fine :)

Do you need the ki-51 for this btw?

Top Bottom