Swedish PC Gamer preview of Civilization 5 in March 2010 edition

The idea that each tile can only contain one unit is very unrealistic, I think instead they may impose a maximum number of units per tile, or alternatively as some have already suggested introduce the concept of armies to increase the number of units in a tile.

Hexagons:

The game has a new engine composed of a hexagons. Jon Shafer thinks this change is good, since it gives you lesser options of movement but each option is therefore more important. It also means that for example mountains and forests can have a more natural pattern.

Panzer General:

The new hexagonal change is specifically useful in the new, improved combat system. Now you may only have a maximum of one unit in a hexagon. This includes the cities. Shafer says that Panzer General was the main inspiration for this change into a more tactical battlefield. The new system forces your units out of the cities and out into the terrain, forming natural frontlines and taking advantage of good defensive positions.

I played the PC game Panzer General (PG) and I like it, but here I have a suggestion for CIV 5 that not just copy the battle system from the PG. Although, CIV 5 allows a ground unit to share the same hexagon with a air unit, but not another ground unit. I nethier don't like the rule "a maximum of one unit in a hexagon" nor "no-limit units in a square". I suggest that the CIV 5 should allow maximum 2 ground units and 1 air unit to share the same hexagon, that the other ground unit ,eg. infantry, can protect ,eg. artillery.

I used to expect the government systems can have more funs: more options, more combinations, more limits in "governing" the state. And the Power Balance of military, law, and finance can shape the so call characteristics of civilizations rather than the fix ones.

I used to expect the Non-government organizations can play more and important roles in the "free market" such as private police station, Mercenary, private hospitals, private universities, private banks. Without players investment, low tax rates. And them can cross all sates and form the capita empires beyond borders of states, powerful than the religions, because a government can step into the "unhealthy financial habits" like heavy debts and uncontrolled welfares. The "oversea assets" can access any resources wanted without warfare.

I used to expect the international events like F1, world cup, Olympics, financial crisis, international conferences, etc.

I used to expect the United Nations can be more powerful and execute some military tasks to be a real peace keeper. And its goals should be more.

I used to expect the so called "Judge made laws" can play important roles in some civilizations. And Laws production - both Ius and Lex - should occupy player more time because they also present the culture difference like languages. religions and types of entertainments.

I used to expect to rivers can be more useful and let ships cross. Canals, should be allowed to build.

I used to expect the "government budgeting" and "National project" can replace the unit "worker". I just do not like to manage every single of units.

I used to expect the "military advisor" can help to build army units which including different kinds of units. And the place of building unit does not matter at all, the place of units to be placed does matter. e.g. a fleet may include many different kinds of warships in classes and versions and ages, and this fleet is placed in a zone far from their nearest motherland. Thus, the expenses of maintaining and using this fleet should be different from the other fleet.

The uniform, equipment, structure, size, and training level can be adjusted, the expenses can be separated into the maintaining and using expenses. And the "budgeting" can limit and supporting the military power as one of the triangle powers mentioned above.

An army of fleet unit can only occupy one hex, but as the culture influence does, its effective zones or areas should not be limited into one hex or its attacking ranges. I used to expect the "patrol" function of the army unit. Its adjustable "patrol zone" can let one army unit to defense a large areas lands/seas/air zones which we have to product many units to achieve in the past.

I believe the air transports is an optional to transport land forces to the battle zone in time. And paratrooper should always be an option. The Supply Line, must be introduced into a game like civilization because its the strategic level thing. Battle zone or front line should be not the main focus, or at least not the only one. By cutting the line, it should reduce enemy unit's power without direct engagement. Of course, the areas supply line passes will not be a straight line but it is hardly be a secret to enemies.

Finally, there should be an options to empower one or more lived generals player produced to carry out the war. As the unlimited wars will be bored to anyone at last when you play one hundred times. Was is not everything in this game. It should not be.

I used to expect to create the unique government system, laws, musics, sports, arts, companies and new religions. Because they are more interesting than buildings. Because they are the major parts of civilizations.

Why this brave new world has no crimes, drugs, and sex problems? Don't they at the civilization level? Can't we build Las Vegas? Can't we produce drugs for trading. just like British did to China in 1840? Can't we build a Gotham City and read Batman's news? How about AIDS? How about the 300 gays and the bisexual acts? (Suetonius tells us that Caesar was called "the man of all women and the woman of all men")

Is it possible the mod supporting the other races civilization such elf, drow, dragon, orc, etc?

Hexagons:

The game has a new engine composed of a hexagons. Jon Shafer thinks this change is good, since it gives you lesser options of movement but each option is therefore more important. It also means that for example mountains and forests can have a more natural pattern.

Panzer General:

The new hexagonal change is specifically useful in the new, improved combat system. Now you may only have a maximum of one unit in a hexagon. This includes the cities. Shafer says that Panzer General was the main inspiration for this change into a more tactical battlefield. The new system forces your units out of the cities and out into the terrain, forming natural frontlines and taking advantage of good defensive positions.

I played the PC game Panzer General (PG) and I like it, but here I have a suggestion for CIV 5 that not just copy the battle system from the PG. Although, CIV 5 allows a ground unit to share the same hexagon with a air unit, but not another ground unit. I nethier don't like the rule "a maximum of one unit in a hexagon" nor "no-limit units in a square". I suggest that the CIV 5 should allow maximum 2 ground units and 1 air unit to share the same hexagon, that the other ground unit ,eg. infantry, can protect ,eg. artillery.

seldom meet another HKer in this site. But your idea is more like a battlefield commander rather than a state ruler. In the view of a ruler, it does not matter how an army operate. The ruler just push the army to do the right job in the right place at the right time. It is the politics. Ruler set targets and control budgets. Generals do the bloody jobs. In this game, players are not generals, they are rulers.

Why there is no separation or distinguish of the breakthrough and improvement in the technologies?

An improved old technology in use may be more economic and powerful than a non-improved new technology.

Latin isn't extinct.

It is used in England in law and Finland play a radio station in Latin.
The pope speaks in Latin too.

Latin is extinct in the fact that there are no new words or any group of people that calls it their mother's tongue. The whole point is that its a dead language. We're just speaking the latest version which ended many centuries ago. Quecha on the other hand is very much alive, still have many people who speak it as a native language and new words and meanings are happening.

The most vibrant language so far is English. Ever year, hundreds of new words are recorded in the dictionary. Its estimated that there are over 1 million words so far.

In short, Latin is dead. Fortunately, many European language have roots in Latin, thus learning and understanding Latin isn't too difficult compared to other extinct languages.

Latin isn't extinct.

It is used in England in law and Finland play a radio station in Latin.
The pope speaks in Latin too.

That was my point both lanuages are still in use.

That was my point both lanuages are still in use.
Oh please, pretty pretty please ... let's fill another 40 posts of this thread with this silly & completely irrelevant esoteric argument!

:deadhorse:

Top Bottom