Switch from internet game to cloud game (in steam)?

Bernaar

Chieftain
With our group of 5 we would like to spend an afternoon to startup a multiplayer game of civ quickly via an internet game. Then when turns get longer and more thinky our plan is to switch over to a cloud game so we can take more time for our turns and don't have to actively wait for each other.

My question is whether or not this is possible (take an multiplayer internet save game and load it as a cloud game)?

Second more general question: I read a lot about problems with cloud games getting stuck at one point. Is this fixed now and is this specific to certain systems? We will be playing via steam and I love to hear good news about cloud games being finished without problems.

It's possible ofc :) You have to keep in mind to join in the same order as you were in the live game though. I would recommend that the live game host saves the game at the start of a new turn and then loads the save as pbc. He then tells the rest of you who the next civ is and this players joins with the join code. This player tells the next civ as well and the next one can join and so on. If you are in a voice chat while you play the start this is even more easy.

I didn't have many problems with cloud games lately. Sometimes the servers are unavailable for an hour or two but thats just a little bit more time needed for the game.
I heard about mods causing some issues very very rarely after patches. You can always save your game on your turn though so you can always reload if anything happens with the game - or if you want to continue as live MP at some point.

Thanks for your answer and the tips related to the correct player order to join the internet game! Glad to hear the plan we have is possible.

One thing I did find when testing cloud game a few days ago is that I cannot save a cloud game myself, since it is saved on the server. Unless I missed something, I think there is no save button during a cloud game, so this means no way of going back to an internet game once you committed to cloud?

Only the player whos turn it is can save a cloudgame. Maybe that was your issue? Also the last player should automaticly get an autosave each turn (if you play multiple online games this might get overwritten though). I already did both live to cloud and cloud to live myself so I can definitely tell you it is possible both ways.

Top Bottom