Tactical realism mod

Cadbro

Chieftain
At the moment, the mod is giving me error messages, if anyone can help, please download and use. It may or may not work for others.
Thanks
Cadbro

THIS MOD IS FULLY MAC COMPATIBLE (BtS 3.17) Thanks to the J for pointing out that it is also compatible for 3.19
Note that there are some files unused in this mod. This is from where I took out some stuff. Tell me if anything doesn't work :)

This is my first mod that works well enough to post. It's pretty small, but I'm hoping to build it up a bit in the future, however distant that is (It may change shape from military to something quite different, probably with a change in name). It basically works on making units more survivable and the late game a little more interesting. I realise that much or all of my mod has probably been done before, it is so simple, but that is a risk I am willing to take.

Blue denotes version number (none denotes original mod)
Spoiler :
In history, armies hardly ever fought to the death, so all units have at least a 50% chance of retreat. 1.1 Max retreat chance is 99%.

Tactical nukes are now very tactical, as they only strike the square they hit, allowing a powerful weapon that doesn't ruin the terrain (as much), so it can be used in a dedicated conquest rather than just a scorched-earth nuclear apocalypse.

The civilization games have always had a fairly linear unit tree. Even though civ 4 is much better than its predecessors, it is still a little inaccurate in the modern era. In its version of events, once you know how to build tanks/mech infantry etc. you no longer have any exposed infantry on the battlefield. This is, of course, not true, so these powerful mechanised units (gunship included) have been given higher upkeep costs (modern armour highest at 5 extra) so as not to put a definite limit on your use, but to make it harder to field dozens of modern armour units. Instead, players use infantry, marines, paratroopers and AT troopers (all non-upgrading) to fight most of their battles, while using stronger, more expensive units as sledgehammers or very powerful defensive units.

Barbarians in the early game are just that, but in the later game they seem to represent more rogue states or pirates, rebels and the like. To this end, I have removed most of the limitations on their building. Now they can use most units (1.2 including tactical nukes, but not ICBMs, battleships, missile carriers, modern armour or mech infantry) and can build almost all buildings (not wonders)

1.1 Nukes are now much more dangerous, killing more than double what they originally did. In the next update, I will change the hammer cost to reflect this.

1.1 The units on air patrol no longer go lazily about their sharp turns above their base. They now go much quicker around a larger radius at a greater height (this is purely for graphic effect)

1.1 Nukes are now really dangerous, able to obliterate larger numbers of troops even more efficiently than before. They also do lots of damage to cities (taking out the majority of the buildings present, for example. 1.2 ICBMs cost 600, tactical nukes 300.

What I'm thinking of doing next
Spoiler :
Something involving barbarians cropping up as pirates and separatists (around more unhappy cities)

Making diplomacy a little more flexible, adding fear of powerful civs in there [Could somebody tell me if this is possible using only XML? I can't find a way to do this. If anyone can do something like this with Python (I think I have seen options for this before), their contribution would be much appreciated :)

A couple more units I think the game is missing (commandos, galleas ships, medics, bigger transports and maybe more)

I've always thought that resources aren't valuable enough. I might try something making the world economy more precarious (reliance on trade, higher costs maybe? I'll need to figure out something to work with in the early game). Also might add more resources... Would anyone know if you can change the conditions for trade routes without SDK (and preferably without python)? As in, say, if the commerce of the city you trade with is higher, the trade is more lucrative...

Occupying cities doesn't take as long if you've got the culture (have to work through BASE_OCCUPATION_TURNS in globaldefines and a couple other things to work it)

Feedback is nice :D
Spoiler :
I'm a little worried about how easy it is to retreat, could someone please give their opinion?

Also, does the higher support cost system work? Can you still crank out lots of tanks, or is it too much?

One last thing, is there anyone who can implement a nuclear bomb drop without SDK? I tried to put one into this mod but I only got to the point that lots of other people got to where the plane just dropped out of the sky when it should have been bombing...

Thanks everyone (however many of you are still playing civ 4 and looking at new mods :mischief:)

Cadbro

Download is here

If it's Mac compatible, then it doesn't have a dll. Which also means, that if it's 3.17 compatible, it's 3.19 compatible too.

So, screenshots, download?

Didnt know that, probably cuz i dont have a mac:crazyeye:
And haha i didnt even notice theres no link to download haha

Sorry about the link thing, I tried to edit it to put in a newer version and the server wouldn't let me. Link coming very soon. Also... there's not much in the way of screenshots because there isn't much to see, only a modified air patrol animation, and that's not very interesting...

Ideas for screenshots: post-combat showing "Infantry has withdrawn from combat" and barbarian modern units

Anytime. :) :) :D :p :p (I love the christmas smileys)

Top Bottom