Resource icon

TCS - Corruption 1

thecrazyscot

Spiffy
thecrazyscot submitted a new resource:

TCS - Corruption - Adds a Corruption mechanic to the game

Corruption is back!

The main idea of this mod is that the larger and more far-flung an empire gets, the greater the problem corruption poses to its cash-flow.

The following are taken into account when calculating a city's Corruption:
  • Distance to the Capital
  • Whether a Governor is present
  • Whether a Government Plaza is present
  • Whether the player is in a Dark or Golden Age
  • What Government the player currently follows
Corruption manifests as a negative modifier to...

Read more about this resource...

These are the tables I am using to determine the gold percent modifier:

Distance | Base | No Governor | No Plaza | Maximum Base (sum of previous columns) | In Dark Age? | In Golden Age?
1-6 tiles | -1 | -1 | -3 | -5 | -2 | 2
7-12 tiles |-3 | -3 | -4 | -10 | -4 | 4
13-18 tiles | -5 | -5 | -10 | -20 | -6 | 6
19-24 tiles | -10 | -10 | -15 | -35 | -8 | 8
25-30 tiles | -10 | -15 | -25 | -50 | -10 | 10
> 30 tiles | -15 | -20 | -30 | -65 | -10 | 10

Government | Modifier
Chiefdom | -1
Autocracy | -6
Oligarchy | -10
Classical Republic | -8
Monarchy | -8
Theocracy | -10
Merchant Republic | -12
Fascism | -15
Communism | -20
Democracy | -10
Corporate Libertarianism | -25
Digital Democracy | -15
Synthetic Technocracy | -5

Last edited:
Interesting idea. It addresses a couple of the issues I have with the current game: excessive gold in the later turns, no penalties for unlimited expansion.

One thing that rubs me the wrong way though is the No Plaza penalty. As implemented, it's a "feels bad" mechanic, since almost every city in your empire will suffer from it. If you were to increase the the base distance penalty and have the Plaza negate it, I think it will have a similar effect, but feel better to the player and be a bit easier to keep in one's head.

Steam yet? Interesting idea forsure. Definitely would love to see you build on it

Interesting idea. It addresses a couple of the issues I have with the current game: excessive gold in the later turns, no penalties for unlimited expansion.

One thing that rubs me the wrong way though is the No Plaza penalty. As implemented, it's a "feels bad" mechanic, since almost every city in your empire will suffer from it. If you were to increase the the base distance penalty and have the Plaza negate it, I think it will have a similar effect, but feel better to the player and be a bit easier to keep in one's head.

Thanks for trying it out! I understand about the No Plaza penalty, but it's primarily my fault for how I described it. The intent is for the Plaza to counteract the corruption as you stated, but the way I set up the modifiers it comes at if kind of backwards, I guess. I could describe it differently, but the underlying modifiers wouldn't actually change.

Steam yet? Interesting idea forsure. Definitely would love to see you build on it

I am planning on building on it and releasing on Steam, but right now my main modding focus is still on my Pedialite mod at the moment. This should be next though!

Some small countries like Salvador might have larger corruption issues than coast to coast ones like Canada. Often Palace is the most corrupt place in the country -- why the distance from the palace must be the determining factor? Only because it was made so by Firaxis in the previous Civilizations? Lets come up with something more creative please.
How about tying corruption to education. There is a base ammount of corruption in society, modified by government type. Now, give every campus building regional effect -- like factory or entertainment. Pingala might have these effects to stack up for one city to benefit from all regional campus buildings.

Some small countries like Salvador might have larger corruption issues than coast to coast ones like Canada. Often Palace is the most corrupt place in the country -- why the distance from the palace must be the determining factor? Only because it was made so by Firaxis in the previous Civilizations? Lets come up with something more creative please.
How about tying corruption to education. There is a base ammount of corruption in society, modified by government type. Now, give every campus building regional effect -- like factory or entertainment. Pingala might have these effects to stack up for one city to benefit from all regional campus buildings.
I'll be sticking with my implementation, thanks.

Top Bottom