Team Opinion on huts/events/vasssal states/barbarians/tech trading?

And now image you suffer a barbarian uprising near one of your backwater cities, while your opponent receives a empire wide pop increase. :thumbsdown:

They are fun in SP. In competitive MP they have the potential to destroy any detailed planning and scheming.

mh

If you want barbarians on, it seems hypocritical, to me at least, to want to prevent barbarian uprisings by turning off random events. Barbarians are much more random than random events, ironically, and having a couple of axemen and spearmen storm into your civ while everyone else is only suffering from Archer invasions, and you're screwed for the rest of the game thanks to an unlucky roll of the RNG. No random events have as much influence as barbarians, apart from the barbarian uprisings (which are disabled when barbarians are off anyway).

I really do agree with mh, I enjoy them in sp, but that's only because it doesn't matter if something stupid happens, if your angry enough just delete them or reload or what ever, but that isn't an option here, and I'm not ready to see potentially a year's worth of effort down the drain because we were hit somewhere when we were concentrating on somewhere else, and wasn't ready for an event where 5 enemy infantry were generated when we destroyed our rival's city with our battleworn troops (which happened to me my last game in sp).

That sounds like the partisens event, which occurs when you raze a city of a Civ in Emancipation. Which is fair enough, IMO.

I'm personally fine with either Prince or Noble. But nothing too high, like immortal. That's just too close to deity for me.

That sounds like the partisens event, which occurs when you raze a city of a Civ in Emancipation. Which is fair enough, IMO.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, just couldn't remember the name for some reason...:crazyeye:

Still though, for me it just seems too risky to have on for something this important.

Like I said, Barbarians are much riskier than Events.
I don't know, for me at least you can guard against barbarians, they generally appear in major amounts at set intervals, they can't appear where there's no fog of war, etc, while the same doesn't seem to hold true for me with random events.

In any case though, it isn't a huge deal, if the team ultimately decides to vote for random events that's fine, just remember that I warned them. :p

Edit: Wow, it took me this long to get to 200 posts? I've done far better on other forums...

A spare cache of gold makes almost every bad event preventable.

Plus, if we have someone on our team who understands the mechanics in depths...
you can plan for random events (i.e. don't be the first to enact slavery)

also you can run the probabilities of certain events happening and prepare for them (I do this in high level single player)

from my experience the random seeds group certain events together. So once we know about like 4-5 of them we can predict our seed, and as such....be the only team prepared for nagative events.

people don't like the negative events when the catch them off guard (barbarian uprising) but if your defenses are accurately planned you can respond to it with minimal loss :)

Memphus
we're at an advantage with events.

Regarding what I've learned since Sullla's post:

We have some brains on our team.

If these brains can recognize which set of events we're going to get and we can discuss and prepare for the bad ones, I don't see the harm. I like them enough to have them on. Hell...this is a game, after all...let's have fun with it.

As to difficulty level, I truly have no preference on, as IAmJohn, have traditionally played on lower levels. This being the case, as long as we have people who are accustomed to, and capable of, executing a successful strategy on a higher difficulty then I'm all for it. I'm hoping some of your wisdom/insight might wear off!

Barbarian on gives the same risks to all teams. Events happen to one team only. I don't plan to hoard lots of gold in the early turns to be prepared for a mine collapse or what not. And even knowing the probabilities of the events we are facing, what good will that do? How do we prepare for the 5% chance of being hit by a barb uprising? By having counterstacks parked every 5 tiles?

My view on this is, that we as a team have lots of opportunities to discuss every single decision, so a very detailed and refined micromanagement will take place from turn 1 to give us an edge over our rivals. Certain events just have a too drastic impact on these long thought through plans.
I am also less worried of being hit by a bad event, but by our rivals being hit by a good event.
As I said earlier, everyone expects to get techs from huts and the promotion events and all the goodies, but does not take into account that our rivals stand the same chance of getting them. And there are a lot rivals out there.

Anyway, I am fine either way, just want to make my point.

mh

There is something to be said about 'best laid plans'. After reading through here I like the thought of having events and barbs on. I have never not been able to beat back a barbarian attack...but being attacked by a barb hoard has an upswing too. If your units are managed properly and you have the right ones (anti-horse/anti-melee) you should be able to get nothing but promotions out of an uprising. I like free promos.

Huts: on
Events: on
Vassals: on
Barbs: raging
Tech trading: normal

I don't think huts are a big deal, but it is a strategic choice to go after them or stay closer to home and choice is good.

Events are fun. They will be much more fun in MP where they can provide oppertunitiy for stories or RPing of some sort. Besides again the events are based largely on how you choose to manage your empire.

I'm less certain on how vassals will effect the game but am in favor of giving them a try.

This game will most likely be won by domination and so will require warfare. That being the case raging barbarians will be an assist in both xp and mental preparation. Remember, you keep what you kill!

I'm not a huge fan of war, but I like one now and then. I don't like domination or conquest. How about Diplo.

Diplo victories do happen...after all the other teams have been decisively defeated in war.

Well, the first one ended in diplo.

A back-door diplo at best, though. We only ended it that way to avoid some painful months of waiting for Epsilon's eventual domination or spaceship victory. The point still stands that you cannot win a diplo victory in MP without having almost won by other means anyway.

if we don't go to war someone will attack us. The game is much easier on offence then defence.

We don't need to run the map, but enough of it so we control how we want to win.

I think it is very difficult to win peacefully in multi player - the AI will let you, cause they are trying to represent the way an actual country would work - humans want to win the game.

Even if you want to win by peaceful means, if you get to the point where you might, someone will attack you.

Top Bottom