Team Pitboss DaveShack

4000 BC - starting stuff. Even though the thread is labelled as spoiler, I'll put the first few posts inside spoiler tags too. Once it's more than a reasonable browser screen, the info can go in regular posts.

Spoiler :

I counted down the list to the 6th entry. Hopefully they appear in the game in the intended order and it wasn't meant to be someone's preferred pick.

The leader turns out to be Gilgamesh of Sumeria. Creative and Protective. That means early border expansion and defender promotions. The game settings are continents, temperate, large, normal speed. No tech brokering, no barbs, huts are on. I popped a hut right off, for 54 gold.

Corn, clams, incense, and stone in the capital's BFC. That's an acceptable start. :D

In MP games I usually start towards Bronze Working unless there is a compelling reason to go somewhere else. I don't have mysticism or a high commerce level, so early religion is out. I have agriculture and wheel, and start research on mining. First build is a warrior, due in 15 turns. That will go faster once pop growth in 8 turns.

Fishing might have been another choice. In fact, typing this prompted me to change to fishing. The start isn't very food-rich, and I've learned from another pitboss with similar settings that population growth is more important. The clams are 2f2g but I can't work them. The 2nd build can be a work boat, unless someone contacts me that soon.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0042.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0042.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 170
Good entry (spoilers are good). Do you think the others should post here (avoiding six threads to the game) or make our own journals (separate threads) as to practice and track the game? I wouldn't mind doing it myself just for the heck of it.

You have a much more interesting start then I did...

Ok, good plan. I'll forget everything I read here.

Disregard post, another new start to fix a missing civ.
Spoiler :
New game, same thread. For the 1st time in a very long time, I didn't settle the starting square. In fact, there will almost certainly be another extra move before I settle. Hopefully it won't cost too much.

On this next game, I'm swimming in food with no happy resources in sight.
Twice in a row, the best place to settle needs movement.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0043.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0043.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 145
  • Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 151
So many food res I 've in the game before and you starts with fishing, bon.

If you settle at the pig, you get no food-bonus, but the cow and 2 :health: from freshwater and later the wood to chop.

WOW! This is a perfect starting point for Hannibal. Place your city where you are and build a working boat with 4 hammers.

While it loses 2 turns, I would consider settle 2N,
for 2 clams, pigs,corn,stone (as in the initial place)
plus cows.
Great food,good commerce, reasonable hammers from
hills,cows and stone, more the chance of the 3
unseen tiles.
Best regards,

Actually you got good lands to start with... but I really don't have a clue, where to settle perfectly.

I'd probably settle in place and build a workboat (using the stone plains hill) first.
That way you can settle another city in the north grabbing cows and clam. It seems that the jungle beginns right north of your current line of sight in the north.
(Having stone at cap and being charismatic I'd think about stonehenge;))

I ended up settling 2N. Workboat in progress, I prefer to grow before building a worker.
Research bronze working. Some jungle to the N, so might end up needing IW to be able to expand that direction.

Demographis -- looks good, tied for 1st in GNP and food. Last place in land area, which is no surprise given the coastal start and two turns before settling. None of the rest are notable.

Next turn, I get to test my luck with a hut.

3680 BC

Population will grow in 2 turns, bronze working will be in 8 turns or less.
Workboat build still has 24 turns but will drop if the 2nd citizen works a hammer tile.

Justinian of the Byzantines says hello. He seems somewhat robotic and animated. :lol:

There is only room for 2-3 cities in the nice terrain, before I have to start building in jungle. The choice of researching bronze looks to be a good one since iron tools will be needed.

Some villagers taught us how to hunt. This will be a useful skill one day, but at present there do not seem to be any animals about.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0046.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0046.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 112
Hey Daveshack :).

Next time you start a city like that, allways place yourself in the top of that plain mountain with stone.

Youll make the first settler in half teh time than any other civilization.

Youll have a really explosive start.

Isn't it still true in Civ4 that building a city on a resource only gives you part of the resource's bonus that the improvement would have given? :confused:

In this case the seafood lured me to this square.

If you found a city of the ressource, you get no improvement-gain, only the resource production, if you 've the necessary tech you get also the bonus for your state.
So a plain/hill gives 2 :hammers:, with stone 3 :hammers:. For the +1 :hammers: allways you lost the benefit of quarry.

btw
You 've contact I play Robinson.

From my experiments i got to the following conclusions:

- Food is allways 2 (no mather whats on the tile).
- Production is what the tile would normaly produce in an un-improved tile (minimun 1).
- Comerce is what the tile would normaly produce in an un-improved tile (minimun 1).

Since the commerce bonus of the palace is much greater than the commerce bonus of gold or silver, it really only worths to place your city on marble or stone.

When you discover masonry youll have inmediate access to the special resource (wich is a HUGE advantage for getting early wonders like stoneghenge or piramids) but the tile production dont improve.

The point in this case is that having a production city tile of 3 gives you a "2" production advantage from other civilizations wich allow you to build first worker in half the time normaly required and warriors in one third the time normaly required.

Top Bottom