Tech cost in hotseat

Kalina

Just lurking...
Hi,

I'd like to ask if it's working as designed:
In MP hotseat game I was playing today with friend we noticed that tech cost are different for our civs. I was playing with India (3000BC start) and my Meditation cost was 476. But my friend who was playing with Carthage needed only around 350 (don't remeber exact numer but lower then 476).
I also noticed that tech cost were increasing while I was discovering them - Math went from around 1000 to 1250 in couple of turns.

Hi,

I'd like to ask if it's working as designed:
In MP hotseat game I was playing today with friend we noticed that tech cost are different for our civs. I was playing with India (3000BC start) and my Meditation cost was 476. But my friend who was playing with Carthage needed only around 350 (don't remeber exact numer but lower then 476).
I also noticed that tech cost were increasing while I was discovering them - Math went from around 1000 to 1250 in couple of turns.

I'm not sure exactly how these things work - but the tech costs are dynamic.
This is done by certain modifiers in-game that can change based on certain circumstances (most notably - empire size)

Tech costs are modified by the era. Did you trade for a new era tech?

No. I overexpanded and needed Writing for Libraries, and was around 5 turns away from it. When I was 3 turns away, cost increased and was again 5 turns away, this happened one more time - I was chaising this tech ;>

Tech costs are dynamic. Here are some rules that I know of:

Tech costs are reduced when more civs that you are in contact with know the tech in question.
Tech costs for classical civs are increased until 600AD.
Tech costs are increased 8% for every city you have after the 10th.
Tech costs for the Maya are reduced 40% until Astronomy (I think).

I believe it is likely one of these reasons is to blame.

Is there any way I can see the modifiers or change them in some .ini file? The differences between tech costs of early and late civs seems way out of the mentioned modifiers in my game

So I just did a little test:

started single player as egypt - mysticism cost: 122 (after the initial settle)
started hotseat with all civs: mysticism cost for egypt, india: 148, china and babylon: 133

all versions are up to date

somehow this doesnt look right to me....

Babylon has decreased research cost, so it can achieve its 1st UHV.

I'd just like to bump this because I've had the exact same problem and it ruins an otherwise excellent game.

It seems to be quite common - was a fix ever developed for it?

I'd just like to bump this because I've had the exact same problem and it ruins an otherwise excellent game.

It seems to be quite common - was a fix ever developed for it?

I've also experienced this. This forum seems to be quite dead though.

Top Bottom