Tech Diffusion

Luv u long time if you do tell.

Also does the tech "diffusion" rate change with the game speed?

No, but it doesn't need to. It's based off your civilization's research rate, which IS scaled for gamespeed.

As for the formula, honestly, I'm not a mathematician, I wouldn't know how to write it in numbers. I'd just look at TechDiffusion.lua, the variables are fairly well defined. ;)

Thank the Gods for Lua-users wiki

No, but it doesn't need to. It's based off your civilization's research rate, which IS scaled for gamespeed.

Seems like the formula is based off the research spread.

As for the formula, honestly, I'm not a mathematician, I wouldn't know how to write it in numbers. I'd just look at TechDiffusion.lua, the variables are fairly well defined. ;)

Okay then, a non-mathematician question.

There is a variable/function -> iFreeBeakers

-How does that variable/function work?
-Is iFreeBreakers the amount of free science a civ gets EACH turn (for as long as the civ is behind)?
-Or does it reduce the cost of techs (essentially applied ONCE, for each tech, as long as the civ is behind)?

Anything else you know about how iFreeBeakers works would be much appreciated.

Okay then, a non-mathematician question.

There is a variable/function -> iFreeBeakers

-How does that variable/function work?
-Is iFreeBreakers the amount of free science a civ gets EACH turn (for as long as the civ is behind)?
-Or does it reduce the cost of techs (essentially applied ONCE, for each tech, as long as the civ is behind)?

Anything else you know about how iFreeBeakers works would be much appreciated.

iFreeBeakers is the amount of beakers * 100 that the player will receive towards that technology, per turn. It changes each turn, based on your technology situation, and modifiers.

is there any way of scaling on individual techs the rate? something along the line it's just about impossible to hide the concept of currency (or horseback riding, or ...) but the details of iron working might be a bit slower to spread.

is there any way of scaling on individual techs the rate? something along the line it's just about impossible to hide the concept of currency (or horseback riding, or ...) but the details of iron working might be a bit slower to spread.

I suppose you could hardcode techs into the Lua, and adjust the modifiers that way manually.

Tech Diffusion

[...]manually merging InGame.xml[...]

This may be a very stupid question, but how does one go about doing that?
I'm using Active City Defense (Oh yea!), and I'd love to give this mod a try.
How do I merge that file, and with what? O_o
I was also wondering about this. I too use Active City Defense and have been looking between the two InGame.xml files and can't find a difference between them, or figure out what I'm supposed to merge.

Look at Line 55

55 <!-- Added by Afforess -->
56 <LuaContext FileName="BuildingEffects" ID="BuildingEffects" Hidden="True" />
57 <LuaContext FileName="TechDiffusion" ID="TechDiffusion" Hidden="True" />
58 <!-- End add -->

This is what your modded InGame.xml should look like, for both ACD(line 56) and TechDiffusion(line 57)

Look at Line 55

55 <!-- Added by Afforess -->
56 <LuaContext FileName="BuildingEffects" ID="BuildingEffects" Hidden="True" />
57 <LuaContext FileName="TechDiffusion" ID="TechDiffusion" Hidden="True" />
58 <!-- End add -->

This is what your modded InGame.xml should look like, for both ACD(line 56) and TechDiffusion(line 57)
Afforess maybe you should add this merged file to both mods and this should resolve incompatibility issue for all users :) This isn't generates any errors if only one mod will be enabled.

doesnt seem to work for me, got cautios balance tweaks on terra incognita and some civs added in mods, how can i tell if and what is a conflict in mods?

I think this mod really needs distance as a factor. Maybe as a lessening factor as time goes on?

This will allow situations like eurasia and the americas huge tech gap by the 1400s. Maybe distance between capitals? Or even simpler.. Maybe just if you are in contact with that civilization or not??

Also, maybe if you capture an advanced civilization's city you gain a large number of beakers towards one of their techs that you don't have.

I think this mod really needs distance as a factor. Maybe as a lessening factor as time goes on?

This will allow situations like eurasia and the americas huge tech gap by the 1400s. Maybe distance between capitals? Or even simpler.. Maybe just if you are in contact with that civilization or not??

Distance from what? One border to another? Figuring out where the borders are closest would take enormous computational time. Distance from capitals would be the quickest method. But I don't see how distance even matters. Africa is very far from the US, yet much of our technology has spread there.

Also, maybe if you capture an advanced civilization's city you gain a large number of beakers towards one of their techs that you don't have.

That's not tech diffusion, it's technology from conquest. Still a good idea, Probably will be in the next version. ;)

That's not tech diffusion, it's technology from conquest. Still a good idea, Probably will be in the next version. ;)

In the same way, something like technology from combat would be nice. Like if you kill (in melee) an unit that you can't make you gain a few research points toward the tech needed for this unit.

distance is not much of an issue in modern times. The world is a tiny place now as far as ideas go, but in 3000bc, the world was enormous and ideas did not travel like they do now. That's why I said in my post distance should be a diminishing factor as time goes on.

But definitely you should not allow techs to travel between civs who have not met eachother.

distance is not much of an issue in modern times. The world is a tiny place now as far as ideas go, but in 3000bc, the world was enormous and ideas did not travel like they do now. That's why I said in my post distance should be a diminishing factor as time goes on.

But definitely you should not allow techs to travel between civs who have not met eachother.

Meeting one another is a prerequisite for any beakers to even begin to flow. ;)

I think this is a good enough solution, at least until you feel the need to implement distance into the equation. Was this restriction in version 1?

Hey Afforess,

Do you think you can slow the tech spread rate down a bit? I liked the balanced back in AND, which was significantly slower. You normally don't really notice it unless you are an era behind...but right now, I can often get half a dozen techs cheaply every time I research one expensive tech (e.g., after I rush iron working, all the ancient techs are basically half way done) All in all, seem to make the game a lot easier for human players AFAICT.

But of course, designer's decision :D

Top Bottom