Tech pacing too fast

Sephykrowd

Chieftain
I usually play on slower game speed and I feel like the tech pacing is way too fast. I know I can adjust tech costs in xml files but that would be really inefficient. Is there another more efficient way to slow down tech pacing?

I usually play on a huge RI planet generator map, monarch or prince difficulty, legendary game speed, ancient start, no tech trading, no tribal villages.

I've been feeling that tech moves too fast in my games, sometimes. It's not constant, but in ~60% of my games, Islam is founded in 300 BC, which seems wrong.

I think the upcoming nerfs to the Great Library should help slow down the pace of technology in most games. Especially games in which the human player builds the GL.

True. We should be able to build our troops and buildings faster than we tech so as to have them during a particular time period. I tend to play on slower game speeds to slow the tech speed, but it also tends to slow the building construction to ridiculous snail speeds. I am not sure what the best balance is. I know everyone has different tastes.

I still managed a pickup of Islam in 500BC... of course, it was made easier to access.
BTW, 5 mujahids at that point in the game, where my best unit was a Nordic Warband or Mounted Warrior, I think it's too much for something you get purely from tech. A lot of AIs were still using the first archer class, and armies were not too strong.

I've generally teched fast (monarch difficulty) when the game is right. The problem is Pastoral Nomadism is way too good, especially on America. Either the Ranch needs to be nerfed, or Pastoral Nomadism in general should be nerfed, probably with -50% GPP so you don't have nomadic steppe philosophers teching hard before the Greeks became a thing. Alternatively, a hit to research - maybe -10-20% - would balance it. I can tell from the presence of cows in my capital whether I'm going to do well or not. I see Pastoral Nomadism as a way to play a light development strategy to get a lot of settlements up quickly, either for a war machine or for passive expansion, but it needs to be punishing on research so that it's not an automatic decision. I don't know the AI's exact behavior regarding that civic.

I play realism speed, no tech trading, no tech transfer. I think the building construction time and worker improvement turns are way too slow compared to how fast techs accumulate and how fast cities grow. The result is having an excessive number of buildings and tiles that can't be built/improved.

Top Bottom