Tech path decision - Writing vs Monarchy

Need the temples for a prophet as well, or at a minimum for a faster prophet.

If I'm not wrong, we can produce temples with 36 real hammers with OR. So practically the same as Axes, as Vrnasm pointed out. And with temples, our border pop beyond BFC will be significantly faster. -> More land revealed. -> Less units needed for fog busting & early warning.

Borders will pop 5 turns earlier given we get a religion in that city and are able to build the temple the very same turn a religion is spread to that city. Which will be almost never the case. For +1 happy though a temple can be somewhat useful. Although I prefer anytime an axe than a temple :)

Yeah, based on seeing vranasm's T100 save and my limited testing last night, I think Monarchy is a bad call. That means we should also skip PH and go straight into Writing-->Maths-->Currency regardless of whether or not we build the Pyramids. Getting a religion and connecting Gold has really changed the happiness situation pretty quickly, and I no longer think Monarchy is worth the huge detour.

This means Temples won't be available for a little while still, but their benefit is small enough that it's not worth getting PH just for this.

I can understand delaying Monarchy in favor of Writing. Not sure of all the dificulty modifiers but Monarchy is 300 beaker base cost while Writing is only 120. But skipping Priesthood seems a little crazy. The tech is only 60 beaker base cost and gives some very handy capability not to mention a slight discount on Writing. Priesthood is a tech we will get at some point, might as well get it now and get maximum benefit. I like writing too but don't understand why there is such a rush all of a sudden.

I'm with 1889 here. I don't see that delaying Writing ~5 turns (and all the attendant delays in Libraries and Academies) will be enough of a dent in our snowball to warrant passing up Priesthood which will recoup the research dent anyway when we get Monarchy.

I can understand delaying Monarchy in favor of Writing. Not sure of all the dificulty modifiers but Monarchy is 300 beaker base cost while Writing is only 120. But skipping Priesthood seems a little crazy. The tech is only 60 beaker base cost and gives some very handy capability not to mention a slight discount on Writing. Priesthood is a tech we will get at some point, might as well get it now and get maximum benefit. I like writing too but don't understand why there is such a rush all of a sudden.

we need to beeline currency with the economy how it's evolving since our s/w curve is going quicker then our commerce curve.

delaying writing even for 3-4 turns needed for the detour into PH can mean that we will either delay some settlers settling cities or delaying currency for 10+ turns easily.

Our maintenance will start spike very soon.

I will make today 1 more test without going Mids and going straight Currency to confirm my feelings about the tech situation, but seems to me that ninja, me and yos are already in agreement for very quick writing based on our tests.

I am calling for two votes to be organized:

One is :"Do we try to build The Pyramids" with simple "yes" or "no" options.

The other is a vote for our tech path. Possible candidates I saw discussed are:

1. Writing-Math-Currency
2. Priesthood-Writing-Math
3. Priesthood-Writing-Monarchy
4. Priesthood-Monarchy-Writing
5. Monarchy-Writing-Math
6. Writing-Monarchy-Math

Or other option/s I overlooked.

I would like the option with over 50% of the votes after 48 hours to win immediately. Otherwise, if no option have more than 50% votes, a second vote with the 2 leading options is organized for 24 hours. (this must fit in the remaining time till we need to set research the next turn - t71)

Good mention, Talons :thumbsup:

And while we are on that, isnt it time for new votes for official elections?

Pyramid poll posted. Should the results of the Pyramid vote inform the 2nd question about tech path or should both polls run concurrently?

I think they must run at the same time. If there are many who thinks Monarchy is viable option, they wont vote for Pyramids. And vice versa.

I think they must run at the same time. If there are many who thinks Monarchy is viable option, they wont vote for Pyramids. And vice versa.

Hmmmm, this can lead to confused results though if both polls are running simultaneously. Perhaps we should have formulated this as one big question with mulitiople pyramid/tech combinations and a run-off if needed... oh well, the Pyramid yes/no poll is already up.

Does going for the Pryramids pretty much rule out going for Monarchy next? If so the Pyramid vote could be considered a first step in narrowing down the tech path.

Yes, Pyramids will certainly rule out Monarchy. Thing is we need to decide on tech before next turn finishes, which is about 48 hours from now, so we wont have full time window to run both one after another. They have to be up parallel.

Whoever read the discussion must be already clear on that Monarchy and Pyramids contradict and one must be chosen. Basically Pyramids give what Monarchy gives + other things.

Has anybody tested it - If we go PH->writing->math do we get math in time for Pyramids chops, if we decide to build Mids? I am not a big fan of monarchy, so normally I would just vote for 1), but with us being spiritual civs - and research bonuses if we research PH before writing, option 2) also looks interesting. Somebody mentioned we do not need writing soon for libraries, so the remaining question is are we getting math in time if we decide to go for the Mids?

I understand many are hesitant to try Mids - this is a huge undertaking - but I agree with 2metra it looks like win-win situation. First of all, with OR, stone and math - and no IND civ playing - we do have a real chance and Mids are great. Getting Mids failgold is almost as good - or some would say better - with OR and math and stone bonuses we would get fantastic hammer to gold conversion rate :)

Top Bottom