Tech stops at modern age?

SlyDevil

Chieftain
Hi, I just started playing this mod and I love it, so please forgive me if I'm being an idiot and just missed some option somewhere to enable the later ages, I looked for it but couldn't find anything.

This was hard for me to notice at first, because I haven't gotten to the later ages at first, but I noticed that Analyze strings costs about 10x more than the tech preceding it, and I took a look at the tech tree...it seems to end at the modern age? The last six techs I can research are cloning, astrobiology, solar propulsion, quantum teleportation, machine learning and Wearable computers. Is that where the tech tree is supposed to end?

I'm playing the SVN version I believe.

I actually had v34 installed a while back, but never managed to have the time to play it, but the ages were all there then.

Ok thanks. Sorry for the late reply, I got busy with a sick dog. I'll try that either tonight or tomorrow and report back.

So I tried that (multiple times, in fact.) It didn't work. During my second try, oddly enough, the technologies did show up in the tech tree...but they were invisible (only the text showed up) and the icon for "analyze strings" seemed to be covering the "Unmanned naval vehicles" tech. I could click on them to research, but even when I started a game in the "Future" mode, I was stuck with all research being done up to the modern age. I tried again, and wound up with the same problem I originally had.

Ok.. there's a hidden game option to turn off future techs. You'll probably need to go into worldbuilder to find a way to shut it off (and you'll be able to make sure the rest of your options are correct there too.)

Any idea how I could access it in worldbuilder? If not it's okay I just haven't had the time to look at it yet.

Also one odd thing I noticed: Upon starting a new game, I can actually select the invisible techs to research! The icons that show at the top of the screen, before you have selected any research, include the "invisible" technologies, and you don't need to meet any prerequisites to begin researching them. For example, I was researching something like Cybernetics (forget the name exactly, but it was one of the future invisible techs) in the stone age, without meeting any of the prerequisite technologies.

No I mean I know how to get into the worldbuilder, I'm just wondering where exactly to look in the worldbuilder for the tech option.

In world Builder select Game data from Edit Data list. This will bring up a dialog. Press the Game Options button. This will bring up an unordered list of all the game options. Unfortunately there more than fit on the page and no scrolling was added. The "No Future Era" option is near the top of the middle column, it needs to be unchecked.

edit Press esc to get out of the options screen.

Hmm I did that, but the "No Future Era" option was already unchecked...I checked it and then unchecked it, it didn't have any effect.

I should note: While playing, all the "invisible" techs that are not in the tech tree are still accessible in various ways, as mentioned before I can actually choose to 'research' them at any time by choosing from the drop-down tech list even though I meet none of the prerequisites. This means when I get a free tech building, such as the oracle, I can potentially use it on one of the end-game technologies! All the "Discover tech" options for the great people seem to default to contributing research towards end game tech as well.

This may be a long shot, but did you overwrite the v34 files instead of deleting them before using the SVN version?

Nope, deleted them. Even if I hadn't, in my effort to get it to work, I deleted everything to do with the mod and re-downloaded the SVN version from scratch.

Edit: Revision to what I said earlier. When I check the "No Future Era" option, all of the 'invisible' future techs no longer appear (as in, I can't have my free tech buildings select far-future techs for my free technology anymore.) So it does have some effect.

Sometimes its the kind of thing that took place when the game loaded that can't be reversed fully. You might need a new game.

I've started multiple new games to see if that cleared up the issue. It shows up in every new game across a variety of settings.

Top Bottom