tech support people please help me

wacko

Chieftain
hello. im having problems while playing with civ iv it ALWAYS hang up in the middle of the game and sometimes the program just closes by itself. my pc specs are: windows xp pro (service pack2), 512mb ram, 128 video card tornado geforce fx 5200, downloaded patch .5or something but not the other one available on the civiv web,... what should i do please help me. and please could you explain it one by one (on how to fix it) coz im sort of pc "technical" illiterate. thank you very much.

Have you tried updating to 1.52? There is an option under "advanced" from the main menu to update the game. You need to be connected to the Internet.

If so, then it sounds like the "CTD" (crash to desktop) problem that has afflicted many users. There is supposedly a patch to be released someday.

Make sure you've got patch 1.52 installed, the ingame update system will pick up the most recent patch.

I could use more info on whether there is anything in particular that you're doing in game before it crashes. I have practically the same spec as you though, and the only thing that causes the game to hang is the wonder movies, so it might be worth you turning those off to see if that helps. To do this, open the Civ4.ini config file (a search should find it, and there's also a shortcut in Program files/Firaxis games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4), and change "nomovies" from 0 to 1. (you can just edit the file in notepad).

If that doesn't help then it must simply be a case of the game slowing to crashing point, though as I say I have the same spec as you (don't know about processor) and it doesn't occur for me. Does it make any difference what size map you play? A smaller map should work better if this is the cause of the problem. I can run a large map fine, and a huge map somewhat slowly with that spec.

In addition to MrCynical suggestions:
- Goto nvidia control panel, switch Image Quality to 'Performance' and turn off any AA here and in the game settings.
- Increase AGP aperture in the BIOS (note: the effect will be marginal at best but it may speed things up alittle).
- I would suggest you upgrade the RAM alittle too, perhaps to 768mb or 1Gb. This alone will help massively.

Hope it helps.

hi to all and thanks for the replies.... i have updated it to v1.52 and it didn't work. i still got the same problem...
to mrcynical, im not doing anything, it just simply crashes..... the wonder movie is fine got no problem with it..... my processor is pentium 4
to zanmato, forgive my ignorance but how do i increase agp aperture and up to how much? also, what is AA and how can i turn it off in the game settings?
many thanks!

AA stands for antialiasing. The Nvida control panel has an extra (nonintuitive?) panel that pops out on the leftside of the normal advanced screen setting panel (I dont have one handy anymore to show a screeenshot with)

The AGP aperature is how much of the graphic card can be changed in go (memory window) increasing it is basically performance related, not stability. You have to fiddle in the BIOS and if you're not technical - don't

Ok whacko, i was having the exact same problems, exact. It usually happened during an attack or at the end of the move for me. And it would either freeze or shut off.

1. The first thing I did was run it in windows mode so I did not have to shut down my computer when it happened.

2. I found and installed an older driver for my Graphics card.

3. I turned off Autosave, and that fixed it, why? who knows, but it worked and now its flawless. But as cheap as memory is nowadays you might want to add some.

Top Bottom