Tech Tree editing questions

BeBro

King of the Krauts
Say I'm making a medieval scn and want some modern techs out of the tech tree. I know I can deactivate techs by setting the disable value to 1, but then they're still there, just in red.

Now I deleted one tech completely out of my (custom) Civ4TechInfos.xml to see what happens. That works, but only with the side effect that it affects mutltiple other files, meaning whenever that tech is mentioned in other files dealing with buildings, units, even events I'd need to edit those entries too (or receive error msgs), which of course means much more work and is prone to making more mistakes while editing.

Is there a simpler way to get unwanted techs out?

Short answer, nope. XML editing is trivial in a sense, but yes, you'll need to remove all references to the techs you remove. Also for apearance sake, it's better in the longrun to just remove the techs altogether instead of setting the cost to -1, and reformat the tech tree by adjusting the positions using the X,Y coordinates.

Ok, thx. This is tedious work. However, I tracked down most references for those techs I deleted and edited them so the mod doesn't produce those errors anymore :)

You could make the disabled techs disappear graphically by resetting their x and y coordinates. 0,0 is good.

Top Bottom