Tech Tree Editor

hi all, im trying to use this tech tree but it doesnt load....do i just put the file into the mods folder in warlords? when i tried to load it the game crashed and it displayed something about the tech tree editor.exe

i have to admit im new and have not been able to use new mods in the game yet. errors always seem to happen when i go to load a mod. anything new i have added to the game i just did to the original game folder. i know thats a no-no but its only some basic things that i always want in the game anyway.

so if anyone can help guide me to getting this tech tree to work id love that....all i want to do is add a new tech kama shastra, and then a new religion hedonism......its all corny but i like it :)

so far i cant get it done :(

Lionhawk: Are you useing the correct version, the download with the w at the end is for warlords, if you dont have warlords use the other one. I suspect thats your problem. And stop modifying your default assets, see this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=138043 about why not to do that and how to practice safe modification.

i think i just started modding the original files because when i tried mods they didnt seem to work for me. it would load with all kinds of errors first.....so i just started looking at them and making a few tweaks to the originals like the 24 city dll and added 2 civs with default units etc......ive saved the original files as i go incase i need to go backwards. but i havent tweaked any game play aspects or anything. does this tech tree editor let you add a brand new tech or just change an existing one? by teh way it still didnt load for me :( even with the warlords.

Impaler[WrG];4951930 said:
And stop modifying your default assets, see this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=138043 about why not to do that and how to practice safe modification.

Hmmm.... but what if I'm comfortable with the default files? Like, I've worked with them for a long time now, I feel like I know them so well. We've been through alot together. :love:

Do you think I still need to practice safe modification with them? You don't think I'd get a virus from them, do you? :eek: :lol:

Hi!

I'm having problems merging the XML files, isn't there a program that can do it??? Thanks

See my Modular Loading DLL for that, Lopez is going to include it in future versions of the editor as they work so well together, its easy it combine the code if you have a compiler (but you probably dont).

Lopez would you like me to post a DLL combining my modular loading with the code of your last release or would you rather do it yourself in the next release?

Hmmm.... but what if I'm comfortable with the default files? (...)Do you think I still need to practice safe modification with them? You don't think I'd get a virus from them, do you?

The possibility of crashing your game and having to reinstall Civ4 is one of the lesser reasons why you should not edit your default files. Wanna hear some better ones?

1. Management of mods. As long as you make one or two small changes and stay with them, fine. But as soon as you work with or use several different mods, the default files are a pain in the ass. You'd have to manually replace each mod file with your backup file or reinstall Civ4 each time you want to play another mod or a default game.

2. Distribution of mods. Imagine what would happen if every mod would be installed in your default directory instead of a mod folder.

3. Multiplayer compatibility. Multiplayer depends on you having unchanged files in your default-folders.

4. Data safety. When you patch Civ4, it will overwrite quite a lot of the default files. If one you edited is among them, bad luck (if you don't have a backup).

2-4 are actually extensions of 1.

The possibility of crashing your game and having to reinstall Civ4 is one of the lesser reasons why you should not edit your default files. Wanna hear some better ones?

1. Management of mods. As long as you make one or two small changes and stay with them, fine. But as soon as you work with or use several different mods, the default files are a pain in the ass. You'd have to manually replace each mod file with your backup file or reinstall Civ4 each time you want to play another mod or a default game.

2. Distribution of mods. Imagine what would happen if every mod would be installed in your default directory instead of a mod folder.

3. Multiplayer compatibility. Multiplayer depends on you having unchanged files in your default-folders.

4. Data safety. When you patch Civ4, it will overwrite quite a lot of the default files. If one you edited is among them, bad luck (if you don't have a backup).

2-4 are actually extensions of 1.

Relax man, I was just joking around. :rolleyes:

Please move the add button above or left of the list of techs and maybe add a "long technology names are bad" warning.
If not long technology names cause this (ony any resolution):

If the name of any technology is too long (also when the CIV4GameTextInfo has an error or is missing entrys and it displays "TXT_KEY_TECH_...") you can not add any new prereq-Techs because the "add" button is moved out of the window by a long name.
Making the longest names short enough moves the add button back to left, klickable.
I have the same problem. A horizontal scrollbar would be great maybe to fix it or just put the add buttons to the left. Else I don't have anything to complain.:)

Edit: Okay forget about it. I noticed the Editor just doesn't like any unreferenced txt_keys.

First off thanks for this utility, TheLopez. :goodjob:

It makes this tech tree stuff simpler for folks like me. I am having a problem getting it to save my tech tree though. :( Whenever I click 'save' A message box pops up that says "Files not saved!" then I have to click OK. I am using the 0.6.1 version for 1.61. Not sure what to do. :confused:

EDIT: Oh yeah, also I noticed that if you remove the pre-reqs for a tech (make the white arrow go away) then shift the techs around you won't run into the problem with the white line segment not disappearing. I think the white line segment is a graphical glitch when you move techs around that are connected to one another. But if you disconnect them before moving them you don't run into the problem of the little white line segment being there. FWIW.

how do you create a dds file

Hi Lopez, i could use your help for a second. I merged the SDK, and checked it twice already, no problem whatsoever and everything in the game works just fine, but when i press these "movements-buttons" to move the tech around, i get a "unidentifiable c++ exception" at
line 1833 in drawArrows

more presize,
if(gc.getTechInfo(j).isPrereqOrTech(iUpdatedTech)):
this one is bugging me..

any ideas why it would give me an error on this? i mean, upon loading the screen, this thing is beeing executed once already, no problem then, why it suddenly bugs me when i press these movement buttons?

Thanks TheLopez for the tech editor, I think you should post an account for donations in the case of civilizeditor... if each interested guy put one buck in maybe you can get rich ;)

Is it possible to leave the already existing techs marking them as already researched??? just as another option for the modder.

Thanks

This may have already been asked so sorry if this is repetitive but, does anyone now of a tutorial or program to make good tech buttons? I'm using gimp and they always look fake and stupid next to the real one.

That helped but the buttons still look really bad. Is there anything to make them more like the ones in the game?

Top Bottom