Tech Tree Versions and discussion

boogaboo

Josef Popper 4ever
Hi,

I have always been disappointed by the way the Tech Tree is presented in Civ4 (BTS).
My goal is to introduce some more readable and accurate versions of the tech tree, for players to choose, use, print, edit and highlight as they wish :)

I'll do this in this thread.
This post is all about the files.
The files will come is 2 forms : PDF, which cannot be edited, and ODG (LibreOffice Draw..), which can be edited.
Each set is a set of these 2 files.

The files are supposed to be A4 Landscape size in height (21cm), but very long... (currently 100cm).
Printing currently takes just over 3 pages. I'm not sure 3 pages can or should be achieved..

Legend :

Arrows differ ONLY for their effect on the technology (TECH_NAME) their arrow points to.
There are 2 types of arrows :

1. Black arrows. [Strong prerequisite]
All black arrows that end with TECH_NAME must be learned to learn TECH_NAME.
Arrows ending with a full arrow give 20% bonus to bulbs researched for TECH_NAME.
Arrows ending with an empty arrow do not give any bonus to bulbs researched for TECH_NAME.

2. Green arrows. [Weak prerequisite]
At least one green arrow that ends with TECH_NAME must be learned to learn TECH_NAME.
All green arrows are full and all give 20% bonus to bulbs researched for TECH_NAME.

Files :

SET 1 ("Bare") :
The bare naked tech tree. No additions.
Just arrows and tech names, since the in-game tree lacks a lot of arrows!
I've also placed the tech squares in their exact location in the in-game tech tree, with the exception of the few sciences at the bottom, which were supposed to be lower by 5mm.

SET 2 ("Basic") :
I've added 3 items on top of set1 :
1. Eras. (Ancient to Future)
2. Tech cost in bulbs without any bonuses on {Duel, Noble, Normal}.
3. An image explaining how to know the real bulb cost in your game.
It is important and reads :

Assumes Duel Map Size, Noble Difficulty Level, and Normal Game Speed.
Factors for other conditions are:
– Map Size: Tiny ×1.10, Small ×1.20, Standard ×1.30, Large ×1.40, Huge ×1.50
– Difficulty Level: Settler ×0.60, Chieftain ×0.75, Warlord ×0.90, Prince ×1.10, Monarch ×1.15, Emperor ×1.20, Immortal ×1.25, Deity ×1.30
– Game Speed: Quick ×0.67, Epic ×1.50, Marathon ×3.00 (!)

PLEASE tell me if you find errors or have suggestions of any kind.
Will be edited with other (more advanced) versions I'm working on!

Booga.

Attachments

• Bare_Civ4BTS_Tech_Tree.zip
    58.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Basic_Civ4BTS_Tech_Tree.zip
    533.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Now, for the discussion! :grouphug:

I've found and read the following important quotes in 2 different threads, and they seem to differ on this one issue.
It is about tech bonus bulbs multiplier, so I'll be very specific :
Does Polytheism (which has an arrow in the in-game tree) always give 20% bonus for Monotheism (you have to research it anyway)?

Irgy's quote says no :
"Note that if there's only one arrow leading to a tech, then it's effectively the same a compulsory prerequisite. "
Elitetroops quote says yes :
"A direct prerequisite tech is a tech that has an arrow to the tech on the tech tree. If you have one such tech, then every beaker you research counts as 1.2 beakers"

Irgy said:
In the tech screen:
* Arrows mean optional prerequisites.
* The little icons mean compulsory prerequisites.

You need to have both:
* The compulsory prerequisite, if there is one.
* At least one optional prerequisite, and get a bonus for having more.

Note that if there's only one arrow leading to a tech, then it's effectively the same a compulsory prerequisite.
If it also has a compulsory prerequisite then you need to have both techs to research it at all.
There's no difference then between the two requirements in that case, and I expect the choice of which to put where was made based on giving the tech tree a nice layout.

elitetroops said:
20% bonus towards the tech per direct prereq, not 20% discount.
A direct prerequisite tech is a tech that has an arrow to the tech on the tech tree. If you have one such tech, then every beaker you research counts as 1.2 beakers, if you have two such techs, every beaker counts as 1.4 beakers.
You also get 5% bonus towards the tech for every AI you know that has already researched it.
These bonuses are not applied to beakers gained from bulbing with Great People, which is why Astro (no direct prerequisites) is a great tech to bulb, while for example Scientific Method often is best to research with 40% bonus.

Help me help you help me help you... help?
Booga. Freak.

Yep, 20% bonus per "arrow".

"You also get 5% bonus towards the tech for every AI you know that has already researched it." is slightly inaccurate though, it's closer to 4%.

Thank you for this important info!

I'll have to introduce special black arrows that also give 20%.
I think I'll just use a double arrow ending to denote that :)

In any case, I've been on this for too long today. I'll fix it tomorrow and then also post my nearly completed second tree, called "Basic".
It has science costs and Eras :)

Booga.

Ok,

I've hit a major milestone and edited the first post :smug:
I've changed my red lines to black and deleted my rant (about those 2 techs that are going backwards). they would just be placed differently in later versions.
There are now 2 versions.:nuke::nuke:

Personal notes :
I'm actually just clearing my own Civ4 dust/rust and to even start strategizing properly I first need a good tech map! Then I need to practice and relearn what I once knew..
Also, my printer has only blue and black and I can't seem to print it correctly unless I do 85% size. I need to now go back and see what I want changed in the next version.

Oh, and please, someone, dear someone, please see if anything is not correct. I know it's a lot of work. Someone has to do it. Although I'm perfect. Or am I? Who are you talking to? You.
It's always you. And me. Booga. Out.

Just did some cosmetic changes (to the basic version only..) and updated.

Some things I decided I won't do :
I'm not going to move any techs to a different location on the paper -
Moving any techs (including the combustion/computers techs) may have some small organizational benefits, but would disturb most players.. like changing the keyboard layout..
This is supposed to be a reference guide alternative to the F6 view, but players still have to choose their techs in F6 and are familiar to its' structure.

I want to stress that this is supposed to be a template for users to use as a reference, print, use magic markers and generally have their way at it.
This is why I'm don't want to enter most advanced topics, like dead end sciences, military sciences, wonders, effects, etc.
If I do any specific topic, it will be on private versions for my own specific games.

Currently, I have in mind only a third version with the great people who can bulb each tech (scientist for education etc..).
The issue is that bulbing is a queue, so it also depends which techs you already researched and cannot be placed in the file in a nice fashion. (If you have a link to the queues I would thank you, I know there are icons in Buffy..)

If you think of a general idea which can fit in, please tell me.
Right now, I'm taking a break!

Booga.

Making some sort of chart for bulb-preferences will probably be problematic, as it changes radically from minor things, the chart would look entierly different with or without fishing for example, or with/without meditation.

I want to state that except the image attached to the Basic set, the files in the first post are all my work, and I give permission to use them in any way anyone would like. :)
Besides that, I have unfinished business with you guys ;)
I need advice :
1. This site is huge. and there's all the wikis.. Is there a place you think I should post these files?
2. Still haven't found the great people queues despite searching.. Anyone has links to them ?

Have a good time (victory)!
Booga.

Is this obsolete? I don't know.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/great-people-tech-prefences.140952/

I look in buffy to see, hoover over the great person and see the bulb order, I cobbled together them all now, had to place the GSci to the right of the others because it was so large.
Spoiler :

Bulb Preferences.jpg

Thanks for the image and link!
I'll try to check sometime if the lists match the icons.
I don't think I'll add this to the tree, it seems impossible. I just want it on my computer for now :)

So thanks again.
Booga.

Top Bottom