Tech Tree with all lines drawn

weakciv

Prince
Ok so I'm a picky person. While playing a game I don't mind looking at an icon and looking back to find out what tech links to the one im looking at. But while NOT in game I want to see all the links drawn.

Those who saw my Pre-Release info version of the Tech Tree know that I did it using MS Project. And I have again duped my employer and used it again. Because we do not know for sure which if any links are required, please read my tree as if the links are all "or". (ex Pottery is reached by Fishing or The Wheel or Agriculture)

(for those that know MS Project the Red line is the "Critical Path")

Civ 4 Tech Tree

yeah. that seems logical. I think spearmen and archers should be removed from the game because I don't like pointy stuff..?! jk :p

weakciv said:
Ok so I'm a picky person. While playing a game I don't mind looking at an icon and looking back to find out what tech links to the one im looking at. But while NOT in game I want to see all the links drawn.

Those who saw my Pre-Release info version of the Tech Tree know that I did it using MS Project. And I have again duped my employer and used it again. Because we do not know for sure which if any links are required, please read my tree as if the links are all "or". (ex Pottery is reached by Fishing or The Wheel or Agriculture)

(for those that know MS Project the Red line is the "Critical Path")

Civ 4 Tech Tree

Not bad but you missed one thing... If a tech requires two prereq's, like Flight for example, then your "critical path" should cover both of those, not just one like you have with Combustion there.

Discovering flight takes into acount a whole slew of advances along the tech path.. For example (and this is merely a fragment of what's neded), Flight needs Combustion and Physics. Combustion needs Railroad. Railroad needs Steam Power and Steel. Steel needs Iron Working and Chemistry. Iron Working needs Bronze Working which in turn needs Mining. Chemistry needs Engineering and Gun Powder. Gun Powder needs Guilds and Education. Guilds needs Feudalism and Machinery. And on and on and on.

There won't be a "short cut" to get to the advanced tech's, but some things will be able to be skipped sure. I have faith that the designers made things as logical as possible given the limited scope of the game. :)

Ozymandous said:
Not bad but you missed one thing... If a tech requires two prereq's, like Flight for example, then your "critical path" should cover both of those, not just one like you have with Combustion there.

Discovering flight takes into acount a whole slew of advances along the tech path.. For example (and this is merely a fragment of what's neded), Flight needs Combustion and Physics. Combustion needs Railroad. Railroad needs Steam Power and Steel. Steel needs Iron Working and Chemistry. Iron Working needs Bronze Working which in turn needs Mining. Chemistry needs Engineering and Gun Powder. Gun Powder needs Guilds and Education. Guilds needs Feudalism and Machinery. And on and on and on.

There won't be a "short cut" to get to the advanced tech's, but some things will be able to be skipped sure. I have faith that the designers made things as logical as possible given the limited scope of the game. :)

That is the reason I said to read all links as "or" links. At this point we assume that flight will "require" those 2 techs.

Based on previous pre-release info "techs will not require all pre-requisites". Now I know that means that some may require multiple pre-reqs, but we do not know for sure which ones. Based on the tech tree picture we COULD assume that the pictures in the upper right are the "require" techs. But I have not included that in this version. (I am working on one that does)

The Critical Path in MS Project was calculated based on the longest progression time wise (i put each tech as needing 1 day).

I've just seen the CIV4 tech-tree and I must say that it sucks, have you noticed how military tradition is so close to feudalism? needless to say, there will be no "renaissance/age of discovery" environment, pretty much as it happened with CIV3. Or if there is, it will be very quickly.

I'm so disapointed...I was hoping for a tech-tree similar to the "Rise and Rule" MOD....lots and lots of techs, lots of variety so that each civ could choose its own path based on available resources, neighbours and starting location.

I think I'll wait until someone comes out with a "Rise and Rule" MOD for CIV4 and THEN I'll start to play CIV4.

:(

I was hoping for more techs as well, and communism is definentely the best government out there.

Mathias

Aleph-Null said:
You know, I think communism should be removed from the game.

For what possible reason??!!

eddie_verdde said:
I've just seen the CIV4 tech-tree and I must say that it sucks, have you noticed how military tradition is so close to feudalism?
But MilTrad is AFTER Nationalism, and it REQUIRES Music of all things!
Basically, you are falling into the age-old trap of basing opinions on the previous game.

Actually, Feudalism seems quite a ways back compared to other relationships on this tree. Some have even reversed their order compared to civ3.

Of course, we have no idea of what COSTS are involved (easily adjustable through the XML files).

Yea, We didn't spend trillions of dollars to eliminate a "better" goverment, so please inlighten the heathans of the civilized world to how communism is the best goverment.

weakciv said:
That is the reason I said to read all links as "or" links. At this point we assume that flight will "require" those 2 techs.

Based on previous pre-release info "techs will not require all pre-requisites". Now I know that means that some may require multiple pre-reqs, but we do not know for sure which ones. Based on the tech tree picture we COULD assume that the pictures in the upper right are the "require" techs. But I have not included that in this version. (I am working on one that does)

The Critical Path in MS Project was calculated based on the longest progression time wise (i put each tech as needing 1 day).

Hmm, regarding the accented bit above, I thought that meant there weren't "Ages" as in Civ3 where every tech for that "age" had to be discovered before being able to access something further up, not that you could skip something like Chemistry before discovering Steel and then Flight (to use the previous examples). In Civ2 I had an "optimum" path I generally always choose where I could get the Hoover Dam and Electronics/computers long before I had combustion because I only researched along that path. I expect something similar here, where players can beeline (in a long, drawn out way) to where they want to be abd essentially ignore some whole sections of the tech tree, unlike in Civ3 now.

That's my guesstimate based on Civ2 and how things were done (and how it makes more sense to do, IMHO).

Regarding Communism, I think people are forgetting there aren't government "types" like in Civ3 but merely different degree's of Civic enhancements or detractions. You might have a government where the State owns all the land and people don't have much personal freedom but they have free markets, etc. Play SMAC a time or two and you'll see how that works. It's a prety good system, and much more "tweakable" than the current version of Civ where there generally is one best and worst government.

To support the comment about "not all pre-reqs are needed"

In the Pre Release info you will find the following quote:

The direction of your research will have an impact on the kind of Great People that are born. The player is free to choose any path whether it be all-military, all cultural, all-science, balanced, etc. You also don’t need all the techs that connect to the one you want. A connection to it is all that is needed.

Now I dont remember, nor can I find, the exact quote from an article. But all items in our pre-release info have come from that type of information.

Top Bottom