Temporary Happiness from Events, etc

I don't know how you manage it. Would this be early game when you've only got one city? The odds of getting multiple temp happiness hitting the same city aren't that great once you get a couple of them.

Thats because Zechno lives in a wonderful fantasy land full of witches. I bet he even has seen that wonderful, magical animal that provides 3 different types of meat: ham, bacon and pork...

I have seen that wonderful animal as well. A hill giant came along and said they were his. Then he ate them. Now that was an event I enjoy, major kudos to whomever came up with it.

Further chronicling of my dislike for temp-hap:

I got an event where I had a few choices. One of which was +1 happy for 15 turns in all of my cities. Now, there were plenty of other, reasonable choices there, so I'm not going to complain about this event in particular. I was rather dismayed at the thought of someone taking the time to let all there cities grow into that happiness then starve them all down. Is that kind of micro really all that fun? Is it good gameplay? I don't think so and would never want to spend the time necessary to milk out the small benefit that one extra population would provide. If I'm dealing with only one city, the micro becomes trivial, but so does the benefit. Growing and starving to knock, if I'm lucky, a couple turns off the city's production? Not worth it. In multiplayer games especially, there's already enough going on that I don't want to make my friends have to wait even longer.

Haven't been active on the board for a while, but the thread title instantly drew me in. I have never, ever, seen the benefit of a temporary happiness boost. I am a micromanager, and I recognize my condition for what it is, and welcome any and all reductions to micromanagement in Civ. A temp happiness boost is an increase in micromanagement.

However, I never go for it because I simply don't see the payback. It is often that my cities aren't at their happy cap, so a boost does nothing for me (I don't play for points). Those cities at their cap are not always ready to grow to the next level (since I often stop pop as soon as I hit the cap), so my city may not even get the extra pop in time to benefit for long. Then, even if I can get some benefit from it, I have to keep an eye out for when the bonus expires so that I can starve out the unhappy peons.

Even during a long war I wouldn't have much incentive to go for the temp boost. I like permanent stuff. Or stuff that has an obvious, in-your-face benefit (e.g., a magical artifact that will help in the war but will disappear in ten turns).

I love the random events. They add a lot to the game. But, temporary happiness boost? Just not sexy.

Top Bottom