Chieftess
Scalefang
Donovan Zoi
Abstain

This poll is open for three days.
Link to the Nomination Thread

Should they choose to make them, their platforms will go below:

Chieftess' Platform
My platform will be to make sure we have a ready defense, and promotions that will best fit the surrounding situation. (Rather difficult to see what it's like without even playing the first turn. :) ). If we do not have bronze, horses, or iron, I will try to push for construction (catapults). Catapults are deadly in Civ4. Very deadly.

UnitQ's Platform
As you all know a nation’s military is the base for its survival. If you don't have a strong military you won’t have a strong civ. Wile having a strong military you need to put your troops in certain parts of the nation for them to be effective. For example when Germany tried to bomb England, the RAF was stationed close to the channel instead of being in Scotland. It does not take a person who will just make millions of troops, it will take a person (like me) who will use his head and put the troops to use. As Secretary of War I will make sure our military is put to the right use and not far off in the distance wile an enemy civ eats out or heartland

So please VOTE UNITQ

Scalefang's Platform
There can be no solid strategy without knowing what our UU is and what the territory is, knowledge is most important in any strategy. For example, should we recieve the Immortal, I would push for Animal Husbandry and early barracks to strike down our enemies. A far off UU, such as the Panzer would mean that we should look to Bronze and Iron Working to form the basis for our military. Axemen and Spearmen are for more imtimidating than Warriors and Archers huddled in cities. A defensive stance protecting our cities while our enemies pillage our improvements will get us nothing. Not only must we defend our cities, but we must also protect the surrounding countryside.

We must also not be divided, there will be no instances of our great empire cut in half by our neighbors, that ain't right. We must strive to be whole and complete.

I will also be on the lookout for wars of opportunity, for if we can grab all the iron or all the spice in our vicinity we will have a mighty advantage and will be able to reap very nice rewards because of it. (increased trade opportunties or military advantages)

Under me, I can assure the people that we will fight wars of opportunity, wars of expansion and will defend our lands. No civilization will take that which is truely ours.

Good luck to all participants because in the end, it is all of us who will prosper.

-the Wolf

UnitQ

xclxcl

Scalefang, you used the phrase "wars of opportunity" several times in your campaign.

As you know, starting an early war can have late-game consequences. Increased military production causes a decrease in production of workers, settlers, and improvement buildings, as well as an increase in upkeep. This in turn stifles population growth, tile improvements, culture and city expansion, and research. We may severely cripple (or wipe out) a civilization, but it may also put us behind everyone else in the long term. We may eliminate a nation who would contest our borders, but that nation could also become a potential ally, and would be one of the few nations that we could trade with (until we research Astronomy). We may win many battles, but we will also lose men that could be defending our civilization at home.

There are many other factors as well. How do you define a "war of opportunity"? How would you determine whether or not we should go to war? What factors would push you towards war, and what factors would push you towards peace?

Although this question was directed to Scalefang, the other candidates may answer if they wish.

Sigma said:
Scalefang, you used the phrase "wars of opportunity" several times in your campaign.

As you know, starting an early war can have late-game consequences. Increased military production causes a decrease in production of workers, settlers, and improvement buildings, as well as an increase in upkeep. This in turn stifles population growth, tile improvements, culture and city expansion, and research. We may severely cripple (or wipe out) a civilization, but it may also put us behind everyone else in the long term. We may eliminate a nation who would contest our borders, but that nation could also become a potential ally, and would be one of the few nations that we could trade with (until we research Astronomy). We may win many battles, but we will also lose men that could be defending our civilization at home.

There are many other factors as well. How do you define a "war of opportunity"? How would you determine whether or not we should go to war? What factors would push you towards war, and what factors would push you towards peace?

Although this question was directed to Scalefang, the other candidates may answer if they wish.

Thanks for the question, I'll answer it to the best of my ability.

First off, I'll admit that ANY war puts infrastructure on the backburner. Workers cannot improve border cities over the risk of losing them, and Libraries and the like cannot be built, slowing research and increasing upkeep. There is also the problem of score increasing faster than the military to defend it, which creates a juicy target for aggressive opponents.

War is a tool, and it's best uses are when knowledge is also applied. You are surrounded by three other civs: Spain, Aztec and America. You and Spain have different religions. In an optimal situation, one would try to cultivate a continuous friendship with America, watching the Aztecs and the Spanish. For the Aztecs are a civ that will war with you if it sees an "opportunity," as in it's military is greater than yours or a nice juicy city with cottages. An "opportunity" for you is if/when the Aztecs go to war with Spain or America. Joining a side in this instance can apply the up to +4 military campaign bonus in diplomacy, which could be enough to make Spain or America like you more and be more generous in trading. However, let us say that the Aztecs are annhilating America, razing their cities and pillaging their land, in that instance, I would vote that we go to war with America and take what we can, especially if they have a wonder or a resource that we need/want. It is better in our hands than the Aztecs, long-term trading partners can and will turn on you in this game if they feel they have a chance or the upper hand, particularily the more aggresive civs; China, Japan and Greece as other examples.

For me, wars of opportunity are defined by the moment and the global situation. On the other hand, if our infrastructure cannot handle it, I will not advocate the war, libraries should be built and cottages planted, if there is constant war, none of these would be accomplished and we would loose, for we were not balanced enough. All the Axemen in the world mean squat against an opponent with Infantry.

Sigma said:

I also don't like "Wars of Opputunity" in Civ4. In Civ4, you can easily get bogged down if you don't prepare, and that means both militarily, and economically. There's nothing like sending a stack of 25 swords 1 tile out of your territory and having your economy plummet to -5gpt, and having a "Units on Strike" ruin your whole day. Furthermore, Civ4 is a game of metropolises. Gone are the days of 150 cities, or even 15 cities to start off with. You only get 1-3 cities from the start before the first war is typically fought, and that means a lot more management.

Also, lots of short, little wars will hurt our reputation with other civs, and inhibit trading. Unlike Civ3, they may simply choose not to trade for the rest of the game.

I do not see why SoW candidates are discussing "wars of opportunity." The objective of this position is not to determine the feasibility of war under any circumstance, but to make darned certain that we are fully prepared should the Secretary of State convince the populace that war is necessary.

You can rest assured that I will be fully engaged in all State discussions, and that I will take a proactive approach to our miltary so we are not left with our pants down. On the flipside, I will not put any hawkish tendencies above our need for infrastructure.

DZ, I am a huge fan of you and have a great deal of respect for you, but how can you have the time to do this office well when you haven't had the time to play one turn in the Cage Match in almost two months?

Sigma said:

My gole in office is not to make millions of units and strain or nation, my gole is to make sure we have enoughf troops in the right possitions to be able to deffend or nation until the need for us to mass produce is needed. For example doring peace time there is no need for a huge military when are neighbers might be the weekest civ on the planet. If we are next to a "super civ" then I will have a enughf amount of troops always stationed at the border so if we get attacked at does cities, they could hold out untill we could switch production from domestic to military. The civs in this game no longer send huge waves of units like human players do. they will send about no more then 10-15 units every 10 or more turns. My gole is to have a good number of units in or bordered cities to deffend against atleast 2 waves of unit stackes untill production can be switched and by planning we could make a strike back at the enomie.

A "war of opportunity" to me is when a civ has attacked us and they are a week adverseary, then witch we could eseally take over. Im not going to push to invade a civ, im going to push to deffend our civ. I make sure that we never start wars but we finish them. A true 'war of opportunity' is not declearing war on a civ you think is week, but is take what you need from a civ that has already assulted you on the feild.

Whether or not we go to war is determined by one thing, if that civ attacks us. As I said before I will finish wars, not start them. There is no need to start a war with a civ when that civ has not physicully harmed us. We should not harm or domestic production, science, and wealth just becoulse "the lovely grassland next to spain look cute and is flourishing with cow". Ill only go to war with a civ that had attacked us first. Like I said millions of times I will insure this civs surviviel by strenghening its deffence not feul the war matean to take over the world. I will always acceped peace from a civ if we have inacted equall damage to that civ as it has done to us. PEOPLE im not going to be a pushover. If a civ takes a city or two of ours I will not make peace untill I get does cities back or we get two of there cities.

All in all I would make sure are civ and its citizens have a happy time doing what they want without haveing to worry if the "mongolieans" will burn there house down tonight.

I voted for DZ, hands down. As long as he stays in Office for a full Term ;)

Oh, and please make sure our Settlers are protected. :lol:

Cyc said:
Oh, and please make sure our Settlers are protected. :lol:

If I hadn't spent all the time in the archives when writing the Code of Laws, I wouldn't have got that. :lol:

All in all I like Warm Tummy Fuzzies, Go DZ! :rotfl:

-the Wolf

I think that Chieftess knows her stuff and is obviously the person to vote for.

Very close and although i did nominate Donovan i will vote for Chieftess, because donovan might quit :)P Just kidding but i had to make up some reason)

Question for the candidates – What is your position on nuclear weapons?

Well, it's kind of early to be on that topic, as we'll probably only get to the Classical Age (Middle Ages if we're lucky and research the right techs), but I'd never use them. True, you'd only need 2 nukes (on average per city) to completely clean out a city of its', but the global warming effects in Civ4 is really stingy.

------------

Wow, nice tie going on here. Even the 3rd and 4th place canidates are tied! :eek:

koondrad said:

The only way I would ever recommend the use of nuclear weapons is in retaliation to a first strike. However, I must agree with Chieftess that doing so would jeopardize the very life we, um, aren't even leading yet. :confused: :D

koondrad said:

Allthogh I know I have lost the election ill still answer your question. To me nuclear weapons are a unit of last resort. I would never be the first persion to use a nuclear weapon, but the last persion to us them ;). But since the rest of the world will build them, I would also build them in deffence.

I know for a fact I wount win, but if I do I know that my term in office wount last that long :(

Top Bottom