Term 1 Nomination Thread - Chieftain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions to both candidates:

On which level and settings do you normally play [civ4]? (If at all :p)
How would you describe your usual strategy?

Questions to both candidates:

Usually I play on Prince for a sure victory (and to test out strategies) and for a challenge I play monarch. A general strategy can be found here, which was requested by another citizen. Again, I would like to state I plan to follow the citizens will, whether it be my strategy or not.

More detailed strategies can be found here (also previously requested.)

Do you think the Chieftain should have a role in fostering citizen involvement? Do you have any plans for the citizens role?
Do you have any ideas for ways to make the game fun for the most people possible?

I believe its everyone's role to help foster citizen involvement, including the Chieftain. One aspect that both Ice and I seem to fully agree upon, is keeping subjects in their own thread. This is one of the reasons I really like Locke's citizen group idea. Everyone of us has our own reasons for why we enjoy playing the Demogame. Some like the RP'ing, others the legal side, and so on. By keeping threads focused on their own subject we'll tend to keep citizens involved in the aspects of the game that they like. Letting a thread stray to several differing topics causes players to skip over the thread and their interest begins to wane. With any luck from our now resident moderator (and his ability to split off posts), hopefully we can keep the involvement and excitement of each and every citizen alive and well.

:hmm: That's a tough one. All of my solo games are submissions to help increase my Quattromaster rank, so I don't really have a normal level or settings I play. I've played nothing but Deity level games for several days and than Settler level, so picking any single level is tough. If I had to pick one, I'd guess Monarch.

Again, I'm primarily a HoF player, so my strategies coincide with the victory condition I'm aiming for. Since the Demogame won't have any specific VC we're going for, I'd say my primary strategy for the Demogame would be:
  • Worker first, but only if the worker completes just as a worker tech is researched.
  • Building a strong research base and boosting research as much as possible (i.e. Pottery and cottages if the terrain is available).
  • Expanding while keeping our economy stable. Fast research isn't any good if our economy can't support itself enough to keep the slider high.
  • Well placed cities. Making sure any new cities are placed in the best locations and setup for specialization.

I thought we always use GMT, (and other timezones as addition).

good idea i want to use gmt, being british as nothing to do with it honest!

First, after much thought, I shall decline my nomination.

Secondly, on the topic of "fostering citizen involvement" I'm not completely satisfied. One thing that I felt like you missed in your responses is that in my opinion every leader has the responsibility to promote discussion in their area (as a Warlord without officials that's everything). If something important doesn't come up for discussion a leader needs to bring it up, and if necessary start a new thread especially for it to make sure that it is visible and to draw people into that discussion to give input.

Other then that you both look like you'll do a good job :goodjob:

First, after much thought, I shall decline my nomination.

Secondly, on the topic of "fostering citizen involvement" I'm not completely satisfied. One thing that I felt like you missed in your responses is that in my opinion every leader has the responsibility to promote discussion in their area (as a Warlord without officials that's everything). If something important doesn't come up for discussion a leader needs to bring it up, and if necessary start a new thread especially for it to make sure that it is visible and to draw people into that discussion to give input.

Other then that you both look like you'll do a good job :goojob

Valid point, i guess if he dosen't bring it up and it appears he didn't consult the citizens that would be grounds to launch a coup if the decision was big enough especially if it went against public opinion and if he/she avoided bringing it up because of that.

To what level will your involvement be with the other offices? Will you try and make the decisions of the other offices co-incide with your own? Or do you follow your own agenda?

To what level will your involvement be with the other offices? Will you try and make the decisions of the other offices co-incide with your own? Or do you follow your own agenda?
I will not dance around this subject as my stance is pretty firm. I believe the Elder, although as important as the Cheftain in running our nation, is below him. I do plan to come to certain agreements if I'm far left and the elder is far right, but I rather let the citizens work out what is best in the instance. Since I do plan to be more of an organizer of the citizens then an official who plays the game as if it was his own, my orders will be for the most part the citizen's orders, and the elder most certainly should work his orders into the citizen's orders.

From my understanding of the duties of Chieftain, I would be the similar to a supervisor at work. My job would be to make sure progress is going as planned and that my fellow officers are working together. In other words, I'd leave the other officers to their job and typically only step in if I was needed.

As to my own agenda, that would be based off of what the citizens prefer. I would not force my own agenda if the majority of my fellow citizens and officers disagree with it. I will instead seek out the best way to implement what my fellow officers and citizens have decided on. That doesn't mean I won't attempt to persuade my own opinion or ideas, but I will not use my powers as Chieftain to force them on the empire.

Again I must state, I prefer teamwork to individuals who run everything. I believe that respectful disagreements and debates help the learning process of the game and don't want everyone to agree with each other. In SGOTM9 we had two excellent players who disagreed and debated strategies throughout the whole game and did so respectfully and in a friendly manner. Be it known that we took the Gold Laurel that game.

BTW, I apologize that I haven't been active the past several days. Next week are finals week so I've been trying to stay away from CFC. Note that I said trying. It's kind of like the "Just...one...more...turn" bug. :lol:

Two part question...

When do you expect to pursue the creation of new office(s)?

And what do you expect those offices to be (ie. Domestic, Military, Culture, Civic, etc.)?

Yes, I realize new offices are initiative based (this within the power of the citizens). However, the Chieftain has a major role in this as overall leader of the country and the one who will be making the appointments

I doubt that we will reach a point in the term when a bunch of new offices need to be created. I think once we create our second worker, we may want to delegate infrastructural duties to a new position, such as a domestic minister. The early game is pretty easy to handle and micromanage. I do want to create a Military leader as soon as we meet our first barbarian warrior, or whenever we have both our first and second city properly garrisoned. Until either of those two, were not going to have any real military plans. As for religion and civics, were not going to be changing those so often that we need an official for it. Citizens can handle that duty. However, if we do found a religion, I would like the citizens to consider creating an office for just the spread of our religion. The building of wonders should be a duty delegated by the people. Other than that, mostly everything should be covered, until we decide to form a new government.

In my eyes it would be good to have a Warlord, Elders for each city, an official to handle workers and infrastructure, a Military Leader and possibly a Religious Minister. All other duties should be delegated by the people since they don't occur so often. However, officials used to serve the purpose of analyzing their area. Although the Foreign Minister didn't make that many in-game decisions, it sure helped when he analyzed all trade possibilities. I don't want offices like this being elected as they create way to many offices, and we'll start to get those pesky uncontested elections again. My plan to deal with this is to use deputies for the more analytical, logistical jobs. I'm a bit tired so I may of left some stuff out. Just tell me if you need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom