Term 2 - External Consulate

@ RegentMan & Nobody:

Well, until Dave appoints a new External Consul, I guess I’m minding the store (and doing a lot of fishing!).

Thanks for your thoughts re Japan.

My thoughts:

1. We still have an MA with the Hittites against Japan, so until that expires I wouldn’t want to jeopardize it.
2. Do we really want to take one of the Japanese towns in a peace settlement? They’re at the other end of the world surrounded by potential foes. At the moment I don’t think it’s worth the trouble of taking such a town (it’d probably flip, anyway).
3. That leaves us with the 3 gold we could get from the Japanese. Nice, but hardly an inducement to ending the war. We want the rest of the world to be fighting as much as possible so they’ll be slow to develop their infrastructure. IMO it’s worth passing on the 3 gold in order to keep Japan at war.
4. With that said, we don’t want to actually fight the Japanese at the moment: we’re focused on the Dutch, and after them the Portuguese. If we see Japanese troops I think we’ll want to talk peace then. Or if the Japanese discover a tech and are willing to give it to us for peace, that would be worthwhile, too.
5. Although the External Consul prefers to remain at war with Japan for the time being, if you want peace you’re talking to the wrong office: the Director of Commerce has the power to declare wars and make peace. (Although I'm sure the Director would be very open to considering a treaty should the External Consul request one.)

Bottomline: I'm inclined against actively seeking peace with Japan at this time for the reasons I've outlined, but if you think my reasoning is weak or I've overlooked something, I invite you to set me on the path of correct thinking!

@RegentMan & Nobody:

I just checked the save and noticed the MA against Japan expires quite soon. I still don't think we want the city, but I'm thinking it might be an interesting idea to take the city & gift it to another civ in hopes we'll be able to stir something up between that civ & the Japanese. This might be a lame idea, though, so I've started a discussion about it HERE .

Bertie said:
@ RegentMan & Nobody:

Well, until Dave appoints a new External Consul, I guess I’m minding the store (and doing a lot of fishing!).
I thought that the deputy would automatically take charge. If that does not happen, then this constitution is truly :crazyeye: .

classical_hero said:
I thought that the deputy would automatically take charge. If that does not happen, then this constitution is truly :crazyeye: .

Hi Classical Hero,

I'm not interested in holding elected office at this point, so I asked our President to appoint a new External Consul. I'm holding down the fort until the new help arrives. At that time, I'll resign: a new person should appoint his own deputy.

Bertie said:
Hi Classical Hero,

I'm not interested in holding elected office at this point, so I asked our President to appoint a new External Consul. I'm holding down the fort until the new help arrives. At that time, I'll resign: a new person should appoint his own deputy.
Have you read in the Judicary thread about Dave's proposed changes to the constitution? I think that finally this office will get the respect it deserves. We see a thread for this office, but not for the Director of Commerce. This shows that the External Consul is already doing that work, so why don't we give this offifce it's dues. Unfortunately this bad constitution has cost one person, hopefully you will be staying on as deputy.

No time to think about the demogame until this evening at the earliest, so this is a drive-by post. I just want to let anyone interested know that I think it’s time we open up a couple of discussions, which I’ll do ASAP (again, this evening at the earliest).

First, we’re about to go to war with the Dutch. Our policy has been a quick war, deprive them of iron, a luxury, & their food city, and then move on. However, we may want to rethink this, particularly since they are out of despotism and can’t pop rush any more.

Second, taking the wind out of India and the Netherlands and setting ourselves up to secure our continent have been Phase I of our Manifest Destiny. We need to start planning Phase II. We’ve already discussed attacking the Portuguese, so that will be the start of Phase II. It might be logical to take out the French and the Spanish during Phase II as well. And eventually we'll have to deal with China . . .

Here's the most recently revised version of our policy:

External Consulate - Policy for Term 2

Long Term Foreign Affairs

1. For the time being China should continue to be developed as a trading partner, and as a buffer against more distant civilizations.
2. Any demands made by civilizations further from us than China, or from India and the Netherlands, should be refused.
3. Once our nation has reached a size of 12 cities, no demands should be paid, and this paragraph supercedes paragraph 3 in this case.
4. When treasury allows, further embassies should be established and wars instigated between distant nations. The more tangled and complex the alliances the better.
5. Portugal and the Pyramids are a priority target for the time immediately following a government switch.

Long Term War Plans

1. War must be declared on The Netherlands on or before 400BC.
The aims of this war are:

a) Deprive The Netherlands of Iron
b) Deprive The Netherlands of Horses
c) Secure a source of Spices
d) Deprive the Netherlands of High Food City sites
e) Acquire a harbor on the northern shore of our continent
e) In order to satisfy these aims we should take the following cities: Ultrechect, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, The Hague, Groningen, Holwerd, & Arnhem.
f) After we take these seven cities we will assess the situation, and most probably offer the Netherlands peace. In a peace treaty we should acquire technology, specifically the Republic if we haven’t already acquired it, and more territory.

2. War must be declared on Portugal on or before the year 0.
The aims of this war are:
a) Capture the Pyramids and the Statue of Zeus
b) Capture the cities of Lisbon, Oporto, Guimaraes
c) If feasible, eliminate Portugal from the map

Long Term Trading
1. Trading should be performed to maximize profit.
2. Monopoly techs should not be bought unless a subsequent 2 for 1 deal (or better) is available.
3. Strategic and Luxury commodities should not be sold to Countries that we believe we may be at war with during this term.
4. No GPT based deals should be entered into with any Country that we believe we may be at war with within the following 20 turns.
6. A harbor should be built in a town that is connected to our capital as soon as is practicable; or acquired in war with the Netherlands.

Do you want me to paste this into the first post?
Maybe you could start your own thread?
Good job BTW. Dave's in no hurry to replace you is he? ;)

@mad-bax, if you could post the revised policy into the first post that would be great. No need to start my own thread; I think that might just confuse things.

And thanks much!

im kinda new around and i want to help in anyway please forgive my newbish posts but i would like to contribute to this office so i'm ready and waiting to help out if you need

Hi, Kentharu, welcome aboard! I’m actually a n00b at the demogame too!

Is there a particular area where you’d like to help? Or are you just offering your general help?

Some background on what we’re trying to accomplish: we’re trying for a 130,000 point cultural win (we’re playing on a big map, so that’s why it’s not 100,000 points). We’ve decided the best way to achieve this is to battle the rest of the civs in order to acquire as much territory as will just take us to the domination limit. Then we’ll expand like crazy, fill each town with temples, libraries, etc. We’re going to need somewhere between 100 – 200 towns, so we need a lot of territory.

The External Consulate has been focused on developing a strategy for how to acquire that territory. Thus far we’ve had an initial war with India (we’ll have another later); and are about to begin a war with the Dutch (we’ll have a second war later with them, too). After that we’re going to take on the Portuguese in order to annex the Pyramids.

We’re currently developing our post-Portuguese strategy vis-a-vis other civs IN THIS THREAD. One thing that would be really useful is if you could develop some ideas and contribute to the thread.

Thanks for your offer of help! And I’ll certainly think of some additional things for you to do.

thank you Bertie. i was hoping to help out with the tech trade with other civs but whatever i can do to help ill do it just give me something to do. . i just finished reading the thread you suggested and the cultural victory we are striving for seems a bit out of reach but if we do breack through the dutch and take the pyramids then things look bright. i personally have never acheived a cultural victory in any single player games so i don't know how much help ill be

Current State of the External Consulate:

We currently are at war with the Dutch and are discussing how long to extend the war IN THIS THREAD.

Our peace treaty with India has expired. We are discussing whether to extend it IN THIS THREAD.

We plan to enter into some MAs in order to get the other half of the world fighting, and are discussing this IN THIS THREAD.

After the Dutch our next military objective is the Great Pyramids, and we're wondering whether we'll need to enter into ROPs in order to transport troops. Discussion is IN THIS THREAD.

Currently we are strong militarily against all other civs, and we have moved up in score from being pathetic to middle-of-the-pack. Current rankings:

The Netherlands, 602
The Byzantines, 471
France, 434
Persia, 416
Maya, 408
Spain, 409
Fanatannia, 378
China, 341
Japan, 337
India, 327
The Hittites, 303
Portugal, 267

We only have two embassies established (China & the Hittites) but will be establishing more next turnchat.

Top Bottom