Term 5 - Ministry of Finance and Labor

Minister,

we had a lot of talk about finance, but what about the "labor component". There are a number of points which may be worth discussing at your discretion:
- Should/may the DP <shift>"A" worker? How many?
- Do we manually build roads on all tiles before using <shift>"A"?
- Do you recommend extensive forrest operations in the new provinces?
- (When) Should we join workers to cities?
- Guest workers (because we loose less worker turns)?
- Native workers (because we save the upkeep)?
- Should we cash-rush workers (Donovan Zoi's question)?
- Do you recommend razing all but 1 English cities to get more workers?

I would be very interested to hear about your views and plans.

- <shift>"A" - That is to AI the Minister of Finance and Labor. I am not a robot, nor an AI. <shift>"A" is not acceptable; ever.
- n/a
- No. Forests increase shields, which are lost to corruption anyway. Irrigation for the new provinces. For close to DR or Groton cities mining always works better than forests.
- Hard call. When we have growth-possibilities and some worker farms in the far south completed. But incidental joining is no problem. And of course when our workers are just standing there looking for work.
- Guest workers can be merged immediately, when their homeland is destroyed.
- Native workers are for working mainly and join later.
- Cashrushing of workers is very nice; if our funds allow it. That is not the case at this moment.
- No. We should keep 2 or 3 cities there. 1 for harbour (or airport) and 2 more as land fillers and lux-grabbers with some units in those cities to kick out any other new non-fanatikan cities. English workers first improve the tiles the cities can use and then are either to be shipped home to join cities, or join cities in Fanatikan-England iteself. I can't judge that now; perhaps after the TC.

Originally posted by Rik Meleet
- <shift>"A" - That is to AI the Minister of Finance and Labor. I am not a robot, nor an AI. <shift>"A" is not acceptable; ever.
Fine with me. I was just thinking about turnchat duration when the DP has to manually contol 100+ workers per turn. Maybe some SHIFT-I (irrigate this city only) for corrupt cities?
- No. Forests increase shields, which are lost to corruption anyway.
I was thinking about planting and chopping each tile once to get the 10 shields.

Forests also don't have an effect with rails, so any railed forest should be chopped (unless they're not in a city radius. They just look nice. ;)).

Rush all Nihilon's Workers and have them irrigate all nearby mines! :D

Sorry, I haven't looked at the save yet so I don't have specifics. I will get back to you tonite or tomorrow.

Also, none of my 5-6 workers from last t/c stuck around, although it looked like they were caught putting a mine in Mill Valley? :eek: I haven't confirmed this yet, but if this happened, we may need to determine some kind of radius structure so that mines are verboten beyond a certain point. What do you think?

@DZ: I think this unneccesarily complicates things for the DP. The preturn lasted 5 hours, no need to increase the DP's burden by asking such requests.
I've said before that the efforts of the corrupt provinces will be repaid; maybe not immediately, but they will in due time. National priorities always surpass regional interests. But you can count on it that I will keep instructing to improve the parts of the nation which are not yet very productive. Your province is part of that.

Originally posted by Rik Meleet
No cashrush requests or worker requests for the upcoming TC yet ?

If you do have requests; do not hesitate to post them here.

I respectfully resubmit our request to sell the bank in Desolatem and rush the temple in Almaren. (The cost of the rush is now 76g.) I know this was approved by your department previously, but the bank is still in Desolatem and the Almaren has no temple. And I'm not sure of the procedure to follow here. I will post in the president's thread and re-request this in my instructions.

Thanks,
donsig
Governor of Norwich

PS - please have the workers irrigate the mines in Norwich.

Minister,

with all due respect, could you give me some explanations on your tc actions:
Worker actions
- Plant forests on Tundra tiles.
- and most important: Railroad every tile within the 21 tiles of any Fanatican city
Use workers in groups; that way individual tiles are improves 'instantly'.
Why plant forrest? Mining is faster. Or do you want to order lumbering? But you don't say so. And if you want to plant forrest, it is much faster to build railroads before the planting. :confused:

Why do you want 21 tiles railroaded if cities can only work 6/12 tiles? :confused:

And never ever should more than 1 worker (for flat land) moved onto unimproved tiles!

Not to mention forests have NO effect with rails. The only effect is to stop a city from constantly starving.

tao said:
Why plant forrest? Mining is faster. Or do you want to order lumbering? But you don't say so. And if you want to plant forrest, it is much faster to build railroads before the planting. :confused:

Why do you want 21 tiles railroaded if cities can only work 6/12 tiles? :confused:

And never ever should more than 1 worker (for flat land) moved onto unimproved tiles!
Forests on Tundra. I was under the wrong impression railroaded forested tundra tiles gave 1 more shield than railroaded mined tundra tiles. That is not true. Either mining or foresting gives the same result. Mea Culpa.
Railroad before forests. Of course a tile needs to be railroaded before it's forested. The DP knows this. I want to give the DP as much room for maneuvering as she/he needs. I don't want to limit the DP's options by giving very strict instructions, nor do I want to state the obvious, unless the DP shows she/he needs that specific guidance in this. Suggesting the DP is not smart or experienced enough to know and do these things is an insult to the DP I don't want to make.
Railroaded tiles. There are 3 reasons for a fully railroaded continent. 1) workers can reach any tile immediately to clean up pollution. 2) Units can reach any tile immediately to attack invaders. 3) we are going to merge workers into cities someday to increase population, thus tiles used.
Move workers onto unimproved tiles. I do not agree. By moving multiple (but limited) workers onto unimproved flat tiles they can build a road in 1 turn; 1 sole worker can't (we are Industrious but not in Democracy). I definately didn't mean to move a huge worker group onto 1 unimproved (for instance plains) tile. Again; the DP knows this; why insult her by instructing the obvious ?

Thank you for your feedback. It is good to know citizens are concerned about the well-being of the nation and that they follow their leaders with the right amount of critisism, as they should.

P.S. Anyone for cashrushes or upgrades; besides the ones already posted ?

Rik Meleet said:
By moving multiple (but limited) workers onto unimproved flat tiles they can build a road in 1 turn; 1 sole worker can't (we are Industrious but not in Democracy).

We may not be in Democracy, but we do have Replacable Parts, we can therefore build a road on flat clear land in 1 turn with 1 native worker, but it will take 2 foreign workers to do the same job.

Minister,
I want to request 208g to hurry the cathedral in Kadessa. Building it is delayed because my tc instructions (build mines!) was ignored and I want to strengthen its culture and happiness.

Dear Minister,

Would you please authorize funds for the completion of the temple in Almaren. The current cost would be 128g. The great province of Norwich has sent many workers out to build up our contries infrastructure, and has also relocated some of our population to some of our industrial cities. Yet we have no funds to raise a simple temple in the great city of Almaren. Please buy us a temple!

donsig
governor of Norwich

PS - I see the CC against you has run into yet another snag. Oh well, maybe next term... ;)

@ Donsig: I absolutely do not see the need for a second temple in Almaren. Why do you want 2 temples in 1 city ?

@ tao: I see the usefulness of a Cathedral there; cultural pressure on Egyptian cities and cultural aid if we capture them. And the happyness is good. This rush is approved

Requesting an upgrade of 1 catapult (120g I believe).

Hey, I can't request upgrades at work. :p

BTW, here's something for you when you wake up. Buto (we've nearly run out of names, and pretty much not bothering with the next 50 cities. ;)) is building a harbor. This is over 300 gold, but will take 79 turns to complete. While a low priority (very low), I'm requesting a rush towards the end of the Egyptian war (if not then, at the start of the next turnchat).

Buto has 3 forest to cut. Get 30 shields from lumbering, hurry afterwards, and it will be less than half the cost.

Top Bottom