Term 8 - Secretary of War

Oldbus

Chief of Confusion
Term 8 - Secretary of War

Welcome to the Secretary of War's thread for Term 8. Please post here if you have any matters for the SoW. There are threads about the war though, so if you have a cunning plan, it may be best to post there.

Current status: PEACE (just signed for peace with Germany)

Most recent War thread: War and Peace

Term 7 SoW thread

Current Edition of the Great Atlas
Please note that I will not be able to keep updating the Great Atlas as I have been doing over the last couple of terms or so. I intend to do one more. If anyone would like to take it on ;) please let me know. If anyone would like to the traditional job of 'Cartographer' (simply producing military unit maps for the SoW) let me know.

Governors and other officials will need to upload their own screenshots and maps as appropriate.

Oldbus

Are you considering during the peace time to run some fast units to the south of Russia as I suggested in a thread last term. We have 10 turns of peace before hostilities can open again.

DaveShack said:
Please participate in this thread on the budget. There is a question if we need any unit upgrades.

OK, will do.

robboo said:
Are you considering during the peace time to run some fast units to the south of Russia as I suggested in a thread last term. We have 10 turns of peace before hostilities can open again.

Hmm. My first instinct is to say no to this. We are the weaker party and if we divide our forces I think we make it easier for Bismarck to pick us off. As I said in the War and Peace thread, I think it will be 15 to 20 turns before we should think about re-opening hostilities. If we send units (I presume you're thnking about horse archers for speed) south, that will leave us weaker in the north.

I doubt if any force we send south will distract any of Bismarck's forces from the north - I suspect he has enough forces in the south to deal with them.

However, some pillaging might help us. Are folks prepared to lose 4 or 5 units in order to get gold and possibly hurt Bismarck?

I think I need to post a poll about re-opening hostilities asap after this TC. Given the possible consequences, I think it only fair. I want to make sure I'm genuinely following the will of the people.

Actuallly it doesnt have to fast units. Using the Russian roads will get them there in time.

You dont need topoll until you are ready to open up the war. I was just giving a suggestion as to how to open another front. We pretty much can fight defnsively up north but in teh south we may be able to throw a offensive blow and perhaps raze a few cities. Unless we want to win by domination then we need to start taking cities and holding them

I've decided to post my instructions without a southern unit at the moment. I think we will take 15 to 20 turns to be ready, so we've got time to move units south even at the end of this turnchat.

In my experiences against even or slightly stronger opponents, hitting a single point hard enough to overpower it and raze seems to work better than spreading the forces too thin. Once we start injuring defenders, it is important to have enough units on the spot to finish that target off.

SoW Oldbus, we are reorganising Toot Uncommon to provide more production, and will be replacing cottages with farms. Please pillage the cottage West of Toot on the river to gain the gold, as it will be farmed about 3-4 turns into the TC.

Ooops. Sorry, I did forget. Should have thought about it when I sent a worker there to build that farm.

Top Bottom