Terra Nostra

That should be the correct process, damn. I'm sorry for this :( I will try myself tomorrow and upload a zipped version again in any case.

The zip is here.

I was able to unzip the .civ5mod file successfully though. I just did the following process:
  1. Create folder "Terra Nostra (v 4)" in the MODS folder
  2. Extract everything there
  3. Play
I also had the "Install Mods" button appear because I left the .civ5mod file in the MODS folder, but didn't click it. This step is not necessary, it simply unpacks the mod files. The button disappeared after deleting said file and restarting the game.

But it doesn't really matter, the zip should do it ;) But you can try this again maybe for other mods.

Enjoy!

That worked! The trick was to not execute the install from within Steam since all items were already extracted. No need to move the maps either. Thanks.

It runs on current mac version of Civ 5 !

Wonderful :goodjob:

I play Rome

Good to hear :)

I found a bug that barracks gave no XP for the Turks. Fixed it in 4.1, now in the downloads database (linked in OP).
I removed the "no barbarians" version, as it seems to have no effect on colonization :( Attached a screenshot in 1955, with the new world still largely empty (check mini map). In my previous games it were Carthage and Songhai who did most colonizing though, and the United States of Africa (me) made no such attempt.
I fear it's beyond my control. The AI needs to have the value for ocean tiles reduced in its distance calculations, or have some different rule (segment) for different landmass cities. Something like that probably requires the source code.

PS: Bureaucracy is crazy :eek: With Big Ben and that -25% policy I could rushbuy buildings each turn. I am playing with my other mod here, which offers more economy boosters, resulting in these ridiculous figures. I'm gonna nerf some buildings ;)

Attachments

• diplo.jpg
    diplo.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 257
Tried playing a game as India on Prince, but I gave up on it. Is Persia supposed to settler rush? Because they took almost all the good spots in India before I could even build a settler (Admittitly I did build Stonehenge before the settler).

Yes, some AI's can be quite fast. But now you're prepared for it :) If Persia founds Pasargadae on the Indus river, you can still found Mumbai two tiles south east of it (on its approximate real life location) to block further expansion. Be careful because Siam may also go for south India, but at least you have a good choke point there.

New version (v 5) is here! For now only in the downloads database.

I put quite some effort in it and I'm happy to inform how it was applied ;)
I mention the original creators of used work; please check the OP (bottom) for links to their respective topics. The civs all went through a balance pass (also to ensure perfect compatibility with both my other mod and vanilla). I use the :c5plus:-sign here to indicate stuff I put in; may be of interest to those familiar with the originals. To know what it all does you'll need to play ;)

New civs:
  • Poland (by zjb): Trait = Golden Liberty :c5plus:, UU = Hussar (incl. graphics), UB = Stud Farm :c5plus:
  • Kongo (by Cyon): Trait = Glory of the Manikongo, UU = Pombo, UB = Raffia Mill
  • Zulu (by Hukkak): Trait = Buffalo Horns :c5plus:, UU = Impi, UB = Ikhanda
  • Korea (by Hukkak): Trait = Ancient Scholars, UU = Hwacha, UB = Seowon
  • City states: Nineveh, Kiev, Sibir, Watarishima, Igloolik

The map got a good deal of attention. It's three factors I try to balance:
  1. Historical Accuracy
  2. Interesting player choices
  3. Limit bad AI city site picks
And so...

The map:
  • Larger Korea, Japan (there are now a few options to settle a city in the south using vanilla spacing) and Europe: added space between France and Germany. This also allowed...
  • In Europe: thicker Greece and Italy (room for Venice, Genoa, ...), added the Copenhagen location (though no plans to include the upcoming Denmark DLC).
  • Replaced some narrow sea straits by rivers (as was already the case between Wales and Devon/Cornwall). It's a trade-off, but I think it makes the map look more natural. This allowed me for instance to add some "fjords" to Norway. But the Copenhagen and Sicilly straits do not show unfortunately.
  • Removed most instances of luxuries being one tile from another, as the AI would walk halfway across the continent to settle there.
  • Removed some useless one tile islands the AI insisted on settling.

And for completeness' sake:

Graphics/Text:
  • Impi (by Deliverator)
  • New icons for Zulu, Korea and Norse. Hukkak's splash for Norse.
  • Generic dialogue (greeting and defeat) for new civs that didn't have any. I took the light-hearted Civ4 approach. If anyone is put off by this; tell me.

Enjoy! :)

I am having issues installing and playing. I managed to get the v.4 from the CIV5 service DL's. I ran it and chose Carthage and did not start in North Africa. I choose the 18CM map. When I download the v.5 I put it in the mod folder. I click install in game and it unzips to about 80% then skips. When I look to enable the v.5 mod it is not there. What am I doing wrong?

I just tried again and managed to get all the civs selectable but I am not starting in the correct spot. I only see a 18 map, not a 22

Maybe your problems stem from conflicting versions. It's best to delete older versions before installing the newest. This is true for any mod. That may be why you still see the Earth 18 maps.
I would recommend doing this and to be sure, also clean out the cache before: delete the contents of the "cache" folder in your Civ5 directory (the same that contains the MODS folder). Then try installing again.

As for not starting in the correct spot: make sure you tick the "load scenario" flag, otherwise you will indeed start in the wrong location. Civ selection seems messed up, but that's beyond my control :( Just follow the provided instructions. I had hoped they would fix this in the recent patch.

I'm sorry this caused you problems, I'll add the "delete previous versions" condition to the OP. I hope it will now work for you (checked and no problems here). Happy to help :)

Dear Moriboe,

It appears that I find it hard to Install The newest version, 5.1. I already deleted both the older version and the cache but no matter how many times I do it, it doesn't want to be installed.

Your Friend and Fan,
HisAwesomeness

Thanks for help, I'm stupid and didn't click the 'load scenario' flag on the map first time around (in my defense its kinda small)

Played through on the 18 map as Carthage and had a lot of fun taking out Rome and spreading out. Just recently played the 22 map as Germany and as I finished annihilating my last opponent the game didn't end. When I went to check the victory condition it showed me as the only one with a capital still. Aside from that the victory condition tab shows no route to victory except time as i recall :(

Also is there a way to change the difficulty? I think mine is stuck on 2. Maybe i just misclicked at start.

Also is there a way to change the difficulty? I think mine is stuck on 2. Maybe i just misclicked at start.

I had no problems with choosing other difficulties. Maybe try to first change difficulty and then checking "load scenario"?

@HisAwesomeness:

Too bad. Does this sometimes happen with other mods also?
You can try to extract manually, following the steps in this post. Good luck!

@KaiserKevin

You are right, there are no victory conditions enabled; my mistake. Strange, I was sure they were all available in v4. I will fix this in v5.2 later today (edit: done), thanks for pointing it out!

And as mutant-enemy says, you can set the difficulty, but as the LAST action before starting the game, because selecting a civ will put it at chieftain, no matter what you had selected before.

I'm also happy reading some experiences from good gaming sessions :)

Interresting mod, but am I making up trouble or has anyone else seen as berserker alive in here? ¨Re-installed & replayed but I`m only ending up with longswordsmen, no berserkers.
Btw, the berserkers period ended with theocraty and they shure was no holy warriors:lol:

I can't positively recall seeing one either... though I mostly play African and eastern civs. But do note that the unit uses the longswordsmen icon also, so you would need to distinguish them by appearance.
It could be the Norse AI simply delays theology and doesn't get the chance to build some before steel (the obsolete tech). If no sighting is reported here I will increase its AI flavors and add flavors to the "holy warrior" template; maybe the AI checks these also (though for buildings at least it doesn't matter).

As for the historical perspective you do have valid points. Berserkers were outlawed in the period Christianity was being adopted in Scandinavia and for sure they weren't carrying out God's work on earth. But I stand by my decision on other grounds:

First the (short!) time frame: the viking age started with the raid of the holy island of Lindisfarne, in a time when the Christian empire of Charlemagne was expanding northwards. Both swords and longswords don't fit; it's somewhere in between, so I followed the "christian connection".
Secondly, berserkers were Odin's special warriors, armed with spears. Killing someone with a spear was considered making a sacrifice to Odin (as was strangling). So religion is interwoven with the berserker. Per strict definition theology is the study of God, but this would also exclude eastern religions as buddhism, taoism, ... So I took the liberty of theology being interpreted as the study of the Norse pantheon here.
Oh and "holy warrior" is just a template. Only the Norse have a replacement unit.

---

On a related "has anyone seen..."-note: I've been trying to get the Japanese to build a third city in the south, to no avail. Has anyone seen the AI do it? I might just move the whales there to "force" Japan to become more powerful :mischief:

Moriboe: I`m a Norwegian and aren`t new to this;)

I`ve off course checked the pre-techs and had both theology & steel in every attempt but still no berserkers:sad:

Due to written (British) history the Vikings "appeared" at Lindisfarne, but they`ve been trading & fighting for centuries before that. Archeology shows viking-settlements as old as 4-5000 years, and surprisingly cultivated for that period.

The socalled Berserkers were professional Norse warriors, known for using drugs or dop to get "in the mood". Dop here includes their religion.
To understand the vikings you`ll need to know their warrior-culture; every little boys dream back then was to became a good enough warrior to be picked for one of the kings longships,to make himself a name. Much like a boys dream to be a football-pro today.
Every boy would practise with toy-weapons from early days, and a some would be picked by local chiefs to join their troups to test them out in battle and see if they could be trusted. Before beeing considerated even on a smaller/local kings ship every man had to be tested for courage, no weakness was accepted.
Then some of those who made themself a name might be offered a place in one of the kings longship.

They were not just armed with spears or axes but a tactical mix of bows, spears, axes & swords.* No need to tell they all had great weapon-skills, what most does`t know is that they allso was known for their skills without weapons, with bare hands.
Not only did the East-Roman empirer choose them as lifeguards, they also were used as instructors in bare-hand battle for his royal guard since they were known as the best in that too.

It`s not too easy trying to make all this right in the game, some compromises has to be done. Yours are not the worst I`ve seen;)

* http://warviking.tripod.com/realweaponsandarmor.html

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10460968#post10460968

I`ve off course checked the pre-techs and had both theology & steel in every attempt but still no berserkers:sad:
My mistake, I thought you meant the AI didn't build these units. Take care that you need iron working, not steel! Steel is already the obsolete tech, so if you have steel: no more berserkers. I just did a test (using the Have Fun! cheat mod) and gave myself iron working, theology and an iron resource and the berserker appeared in my build queue... but I will play a game as Canute next and make sure.

P.S. I love Norway! Only been there once (three week tour with lots of hiking) but hope to go again next year :)

@HisAwesomeness:

Too bad. Does this sometimes happen with other mods also?
You can try to extract manually, following the steps in this post. Good luck!

Dear Moriboe,

The previous versions and my other mods work fine, I just can't make the latest version, v 5.1, to work.

Your Friend,
HisAwesomeness

Top Bottom