1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TETurkhan Strategy thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by anarres, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Nuclear Winter

Nuclear Winter Chieftain

I´d like to know if there is any way to play the real world version with cities in a multyplayer game ( a PBEM)
    I´d be thankfull for answers

2. Sasebo

Sasebo Prince

Not sure if this is the right thread but will put it here anyway... To answer the person who said Can Tibet survive??? Oh YES, They Can!!! I finally finished my 1.7 version today as cambodia. 191 hours 48 minutes, etc etc....yes it was a bear. I finally wiped the pest Ghandi off and got a cultural victory the next turn halleluyah! Ok I was my own worst enemy, I had never played with the propaganda machine before and I had a field day... and ended up with cities on every continent but europe. :( My turns toook like 30 minutes each ack!
    I was using regicide and found some good and some bad things about it. I enjoyed the balance between the good leaders and the bad ones it made it interesting,and I actually looked up a lot of the history so it does catch your eye... Wiping out ghengis was an awful pain,and I never even got close to the Dhalia Lama! Leaders with good defense are worth a ton. I had a major set of troubles due to my early wars with china and India...When Xerxes got himself killed with ten cities still in his empire it made India into a BEAST! When I was finally able to turn against India he had all of persia, most of arabia and a Ton of island bases.... that fight was EPIC. It can be done and I say if the Khmer INf. were one bit less tough it probably would not have been able to be done.... Nice balance there TeT, that was a massive struggle,but well worth it!
    I played with map and mod with cities,it is a total different game from just the mod. I think all can be played but some just scream PAIN! England and the celts,Korea also Oh and for sure Israel. If you win with them you earned it for sure. I think Cambodia is way hard,stuck between the rock and the hard place... but your UU and early Golden Age can make it bearable. Still there were times.... I went after China early....and they had HORDES!!! and the money and lux to back them up :( There were times when they had me up against the wall...and then backed down. I have no clue why,maybe other fronts? I did ally anyone I could hook into the melee,most of asia was in flames in this war,Korea got Pelted...
    For some reason almost EVERY nation sent settler/combat troops up into siberia....literally throngs of people went throught my territory it was VERY annoying...and a big waste of their time and resources if you ask me,don't know what you could do to fix that.
    Oh let me say again...I wiped out China, Korea,the Malysians the Mongols, and finally India.... and Tibet survived. Until you have seen just how sick their defenses are with those monks in the mtns.... Don't even try it trust me :(
    Sasebo

3. BobTheTerrible

BobTheTerrible Just Another Bob

4. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

i am playing as china and the history goes destroy mongolia (mongol hordes a possibility and i want their horses) :D then Turkjidistan because they demanded money and techs, then korea, greece, japan, and all the others and now i am researching future tech 9 and i am in 1988 and only songhi, aztecs, Incas, Iroquis, asbania, zululand, songhi, egypt and me. songhi has only island cities that are spread far and wide, zulu has 1 island city, asbania has conqured madagascar and i am slowly advancing on their cities, egypt i have rop, i obtained 5 cities from propaganda from the incas at the bottom of south america, and 1 city near LA from the aztecs and planning to blow a D-day on the incas with my 5 cities that are equiped with airports. 59 modern armors, 39 tactical nukes, 1 ICBM, 7 battleships 1 aircraft carrieer, tons of bombers, 7 jet fighters, and 5 stealth fighters. 4 stealth bombers stationed at pearl harbor ready to airstrike any target on the map. i plann the game to be over by 2010 with conquest victory :king:

5. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

to deal with Tibet, you have to either chuck flamethrowers or use modern Armors, they were my friend until they got mad at me destroying everyone else in europe and asia. i am pleased to say that their monks did not succed in destroying a single tank, but they managed to reduce 1 to a single health.

6. EddyG17

EddyG17 King

I am playing with england on regent, i just with 3 archers i destroyed cardif and dubling which had 3 or 2 settlers there. then I sued for peace and some cities. Angora Oslo and Cholegeme(?) are all. any advice on waht to do next?

7. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

settle mainland Europe. get an army there. blow up spain.

8. Pampant Chief

Pampant Chief Chieftain

Tibetans are a crazy civ !!!

I played with them on emperor and by middle ages, i conquered, china, india, and turkestan. I slaughtered their armies as they tried to invade.

Just build lotsa warrior monks and garrison them and few conventional armies will be able to roll them.

The starting techs, mysticism and mysticism, also puzzled me ...
    any ideas ?

9. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

the Tibetians are esentially a peacefull civ, and if the ai is the tibetieans, they won't attack much.

10. Pampant Chief

Pampant Chief Chieftain

im playing as greeks now ...

its 380 BC and i have taken over almost a half of Europe, most of Asia Minor (presend-day Turkey) and some areas arounc Caucasus. I got 3 luxuries and both iron and horses. I have all the ancient technologies except construction.

Greek hoplites are simply amazing on the Teturkhan mod and i seem to be lucky with Greece.

Try them out ...

11. froglegs

froglegs Chieftain

I have played every version of this mod since PTW came out. It is the best IMHO. I always play with the full 31 nation starting cities and most often play as Rome in crowded Europe. Recent versions permit no settlers early on so what you see is what you get. I always play at the highest level of difficulty. Rome is tough to play but fair.

I have never played as China or India for several reasons. First of all, they are not a real race but rather a conglomerate of peoples. I lived in China for 3 months several years ago. People in Beijing look and talk as differently from people in southern China as do Italians and Germans. Yet, China is presented as a unified nation whereas Europeans as not. My Indian friends say the same of India. It was only unified by the English language.

Play Rome if you want a challenge at the highest level. Hint -- the Hungarians are your greatest foe.

12. wurkwurk

wurkwurk Chieftain

In my memory, Hungary is the one to really watch out for (if you play a European, at least). They always seem to have endless hordes of those F***ing archers. Also, no matter who you are, watch out for Turkistan. Their nomadic horseman rolled over the Middle East and Europe more times than I can count.

IMHO, Mongolia, Korea, and Isreal are the toughest to play with. England, though small, is nice and protected. The two times I played with England, I first (easily) conquered the isles then proceeded to make serious inroads in eastern and Central Europe. At one time as England, I defeated a Turkish army in Poland (only having Warsaw and France on the continent) and stopped their inevitable advance on 'christendom' ;) .

As Israel, STOCKPILE, and blitz Egypt with dozens of veteran Bowmen and with an alliance with Carthage (suggested). Do it too late...and feel Persia's wrath :D

13. Doctala

Doctala Chieftain

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best locations for Palaces and FPs? I know a lot of people reckon Budapest is the best place for a european palace, where would be the best place for the other (assuming you owned the whole of the old world, or plan to) also american civs, whis cities are best placed?

Yeah i know its probly possible for even me to work it out, but i'm lazy, and i'm hoping someone else will do it for me (or already has)

Thanks
    Doc

14. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Paris is THE most productive cities if you build Hoover dam and put all the production improvements there. it generaties something like 214 sheilds or something.

15. Doctala

Doctala Chieftain

I've noticed that about Paris, was thinking of something from a corruption reducing point of view though...

16. mattarch

mattarch Chieftain

Just curious. Why is "America" omitted in the "TETurkhan" mod?

17. Ranger99

Ranger99 Ranger99's Going to NAVY?

im currently playing with Carthage right now (I LOVE those mercs) im doing pretty good, first off i got a few units and defended my cities from all those barbs, then i went and founded a few cities near important resources in Africa. After that i was bringing in some nice cash, i had all of Spain and started the great Library THE GREAT LIBRARY RULES IN THIS MOD mostly because China and India are so far ahead of the europeans that you can get A LOT of techs, a couple turns later, and i was half-way through the middle ages, and the GL was obsolete, BUT i was the most powerfull Civ in Europe, i built an army and DESTROYED the french. I now have the most land too, thats were i am right now, im trying to choose between attacking England or the Romans, i think ill go with the English because the Romans have spread out and have cities all over the place.

LONDON"S GOIN DOWN!!!!

Great Mod TET!!

18. opus95

opus95 Chieftain

I've played at least 4 games as the Iroquois, at each of the lowest levels (increasing difficulty level each time). I'm sure all 3 New World Civs are not allowed to build ships. I did manage to build a Pirate ship once I reached the year 2000, at the very lowest difficulty level, but that's it. In general, though, I feel that the American Civs are too advanced, and the Europeans are 'way too primitive to be realistic.

19. opus95

opus95 Chieftain

Hey BobTheTerrible:

I've seen that place where TeTurkhan posted his 1.66 and 1.93 upgrades, and had gotten as far as downloading those things into "my downloads". Can you please tell me in detail (I'm not proficient in computers) what I need to do to get those things from "My Downloads" to actually modify what's in the disc that I bought.

I have Civilization III Gold Edition (including Play the World) and also Conquests.

In order to upgrade what I have, do I play with the Civ III disc, or the Conquests disc? Do I upgrade with the disc in the computer, or without? How is this done? Sorry for being such a dunce. I just don't know anything about downloading.

opus95

20. opus95

opus95 Chieftain

Hi Lord Apollon.

When you played with the Mongols, didn't the computer give you the ability to build leaders at will? I've played as the Mongols several times. The free leaders, which only took 1 turn to build, allow the Mongols to Have a ridiculously easy time completing Great Wonders, such as The Pyramids (on turn 3), thereby denying these to more deserving civilizations. Also, these leaders create many armies, and the computer allowed me to load 8 units into each army (after I achieved Military Academy -- also rushed by a leader). Eight Keshiks per army, and a group of about 10 of these armies, (with many more possible) made it amazingly easy to conquer all of Eurasia, and it was very easy to reach 66 percent of world population.

Now ... I realize that I have been playing without upgrading to that 1.93 variant, because I don't know how to do that. Maybe everything changes after that upgrade.
    Could someone please explain to me how to install the 1.93 upgrade into my computer, so that I can play the official, latest authorized version?