The AI and it's fear of the water

CladInShadows

Chieftain
FFH is the only civ I've played for almost 2 years but I've lately been becoming more and more frustrated with why the AI won't colonize or attack by the sea.

When I play BTS I always use the PerfectWorld map script and I'm nearly always beaten by the AI at being the first to found cities on the many islands that are generated around. In FFH however, islands are completely ignored, and any map with more than one contient simply becomes two seperate games as I've never seen an AI successfully send a single boat of units accross to the other side. Even the Erebus mapscript becomes pointless because the AI cannot nvigate around the mountain blocks that run through the land.

In my current game I actually found a Balserapf Settler on an island of their coast. Excited I played a few more turns and went back to see if he'd founded a city, but instead he was still just sitting there!

It just seems to me, that the AI had no trouble using its Navy in Vanilla civ, and things aren't that different at all in FFH, with a nice selecton of boats to build for different purposes, so I don't understand why they've suddenly lost that ability. It may seem like a major issue to some people, but I love playing on Erebus maps and it really ruins the mid - late game when you know that there's no threat from any remaining teams because they can't access you by land, or Hyborem iscompletely useless bcause he spawned on the other side of a mountain range from everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game and I've played it more and longer than anything else ever really, and I really appreciate the work everyone has put in so I'm not being ungrateful or whatever. I was just hoping that seeing as there is still going to be some level of work done on the AI, that this is one of the issues that is looked into :)

Try my options mod. The sea AI is still not good, but better. Though I'm a few patches behind on updating...

Still won't help if the AI is cut off by mountains. It will consider both sides the same continent and be clueless as to why it can't get to the other side. Avoid such places if you can.

*edit* I see you've already found it :lol:

I have only played one game where the AI made a real invasion fleet. It was huge!
The invading AI was Decias as the Calabim .

He managed to take out all of the competition on his continent very early into the game so that he had free run of the whole space .
He didnt really do anything until I had just taken control of my own continent .
A turn after defeating my last opponent Decias declared war on me and steamrolled me over with a massive invasion force by the sea.

I was very impressed . Sadly such a scenario has not happend again :\

I've seen varn gosam reach out and establish a city on a nearby medium sized island. Just after I finished purging the Lanun from it.

Top Bottom