The AI seems to intentionally set out to upset you

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by VladTepes, Oct 18, 2010.

1. VladTepes

VladTepes Clown Prince of Wallachia

I start on a Huge Lakes map. Wonderful map, I found sites for my next five cities within the first forty turns. On turn 58, my scout encounters Japan. Not a city, an exploring unit. If I haven't encountered him before now, it means he's not close, so I can expand initially without touching borders. On turn 80, he RUINS my game by plunking down a city within 10 hexes of my capital!!! :mad::mad::mad: He sent out a settler a significant distance from his capital just so he can become "hostile" since I'm now "too close!!!" :aargh::aargh:

2. ZanderC

ZanderC Chieftain

Oddly enough, if you raze that city he will probably like you better in the end.

3. Alki

Alki Prince

Best get at Japan and kill him before he gets Samurai.

4. VladTepes

5. zonk

zonk Prince

Yup.

Perhaps the AI is smarter than we all think... By being completely illogical and stupefying, it pushes you to shut down the game in disgust.

What they haven't perfected just yet -- coming in a patch, I'm sure -- is to complete the "behave like a pouty brat" AI behavior, where, after you shut down Civ V in disgust, it then mocks you from the system tray occasionally popping up IM-like messages such as "I win because you quit! Thbbbbpppptttt!!!! :nya:".

6. BubbaYeti

BubbaYeti Warlord

The AI seems to be following the "Let us taunt it! It may become so cross that it will make a mistake." strategy :crazyeye:

7. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Prince

It's the infamous "creepy guy on a bus sits next to you" strategy.

8. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

The way they designed civ5 AI sucks the fun out of the game for me. Civ4 AI had its faults but at least it was fun and had rhyme and reason to it.

Civ5 AI will do anything to screw you over even if you are your friend and not only that they will act in a most illogical manner most of the time.

Besides that, i don't think xpacs can fix the core issues this game has.

9. d4everman

d4everman Chieftain

Its not just the AIs. I was gone for a few days, had business out of town. Getting back I just can't force myself to finish any of the games I've started. It feels like work, not fun.

10. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

No, that's the Civ III AI. I was playing a game, and the put a horseman in my border and fortifed it for YEARS. They were trying to cox me into war I think. I hate that AI.

11. VladTepes

In Civ2, Liz placed a city within 3 hexes of one of mine and demanded I leave *her* land. I never played 2 again after that. :rolleyes:

12. Neofelis Nebulo

Neofelis Nebulo Chieftain

The upsetting thingy with the Civilizations is nonsense anyway. I can't count the times other Civs just passed by just to insult my civ/strategy/whatever, when I was clearly superiour in every single term of power. I was bigger, more advanced, had more military than them, had the more powerful units to add up to it, had more money, more per turn income, more culture and so forth.

And then this stupid AI really thought it would be clever to insult me? ME!?!

Needlessly to say I straight up took the taunt and declared war. And won, took all his cities, and and and.

AI is FUBAR

13. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

They surely are better at upsetting players than winning against them.

14. Megatherion

Megatherion Chieftain

To quote Pratchett:
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
    (Hogfather, I think)

So, this is like the reverse:
    Artificial stupidity beats real intelligence.

15. Baleur

Baleur Prince

So just like in Civ5? :(

16. jahsoldier

jahsoldier Warlord

Consult the Book of Armaments!

17. Stoney the I

Stoney the I Prince

hehe thats a nice way of looking at it. in civ6 the AI will be able to save and reload the game, use worldbuilder and quit when it cant win.

18. Yngvi

Yngvi Chevalier du Tastevin

Just take his city. Who cares? They do it to me all the time. Free city. It's not like he's a threat if you anger him, especially halfway across the world.

19. Maxor127

Maxor127 Warlord

I've seen the AI do that a lot too. At least two instances come to mind where he built on the other side of a continent for no reason other than to piss me off because it was still early game and more than enough space to build near his capital. I've also seen the AI plant units on tiles where I plan to build a city.

20. spfun

spfun King

this is another thing which should get changed, him sending his first settler all that distance basically cripples that AI nation... Its annoying for the user & pretty much removes 1 AIs contention of winning. Remove it.