The Americans

Ision said:
Actually, the traits are better the HIGHER the level you play. It is usually the higher-level players that appreciate this CIV the most.
Ision

Agreed, I won my first deity game as the Americans. I had never played them before but I couldn 't pass up those traits they had for a high level game.

I play PTW, Regent/Monarch and America is my favorite civ. Ision hit the nail on the head- it rewards a more sophisticated playing style and can be very powerful in the right hands. In PTW Industrious is probably (is there consensus?) the most powerful trait, and I think Expansionist is the most underrated. I personally prefer it over Militaristic for sure, and probably Scientific and Religious as well. It's only really useful in the first half of the AA, but that is the most critical phase of the game. You won't wipe out a neighbor with an archer rush, but if you can make contact with two groups of civs that are isolated from each other, the tech brokering opportunities can put the game on ice while you are still in Despotism.

There are plenty of other civs with an inconvenient UU -- either early ones that trigger a despotic GA, or defensive units that don't always let you start a GA on your own terms. I've never been very good at incorporating a GA into my game strategy; I tend to treat them and Leaders as a pleasant bonus that I can live without.

Ision-

After reading your review I decided to give America a try again. I first used them when I got Civ III but rapidly worked with the French, and then the Germans> I wandered through the other cultures but came back home, so to speak.
I agree with everything you say after playing a few games and getting high scores on my chart. Nothing compared to what I see here, but it was a challenge to work out production, science and exploration with America. I think the scout can be one of the most powerful tools in the early game and it's use to find the terrain, plot and plan cities and map resources gives a powerful leg up on non expansionist cultures. The downside, I feel, is the lack of bargain basement city improvements, but that would probably unhinge the game too much.
Bravo on the reviews! Are you going to do more cultures soon? :goodjob:

America if often my main problem and enemy, always in good position in score and in the tech tree

If the Americans are giving you problems, there are several things you could do. First of all, play with no barbs. No barbs = no goody huts. Second, play on an island map. They won't get enough huts to really pull ahead. Third, if their scout shows up at your border in the early game, kill him. Losing their scout will slow down that hut-popping that they do.

Top Bottom