The Americans

Yep we are more powerful than any other civilization has ever been, and our culture and military simply dominates.

I agree with necrosmith, leaving America out would have been unforgivable. :p

The UU is a problem. By that time in the game, the is often won (or lost) and if it is still competitive, Bombers and Tank Armies are more useful that the F-15. The traits arent bad, if you are playing the lower levels. Expansionist civs on the highest levels don't give you much except empty huts, for the most part.

And pottery from the start......

The traits arent bad, if you are playing the lower levels. Expansionist civs on the highest levels don't give you much except empty huts, for the most part.

Actually, the traits are better the HIGHER the level you play. It is usually the higher-level players that appreciate this CIV the most. As for expansionist - the traits advantages become more pronounced the higher the level you play and the greater the skill level of the player.

Ision

I think that this was a well thought out and written review. Your insight and comments were very cool....someone mentioned that they missed the "exotic" aspect the other civs have that america does not...and to this i agree- but that kind of goes with your contention of the "subtley " that one needs to work with america-
i suspect Korea will be very similiar in this regard- and i eagerly await your reviews of India the English and Japan-the much derided Hittites (whom i really like) and Spain (my fav)

I think that this was a well thought out and written review. Your insight and comments were very cool....someone mentioned that they missed the "exotic" aspect the other civs have that america does not...and to this i agree- but that kind of goes with your contention of the "subtley " that one needs to work with america-

Thanks for your kind remarks, and yes I agree to your observation of the subtlety aspect to the American CIV.

Ision

Great work also I. :goodjob: Looking forward to Celts, Iroquois,
and Vikings. Thanks again for your time and effort.
:thumbsup:

Ision would the American in general be the 3rd fastest expanding civ behind the Maya and Inca's? I was a newb when I 1st played this civ long a while ago- I was winning but abandoned the game as the turns were taking to long, I didn't know holding down the shift key made the AI units move faster.

Zard,

It is very difficult to pinpoint it in that fashion, so much depends on a players style and focus (war or building). That said, I would say 'yes' but approximately so. It would be far more accurate to say , in the tradition of my 'tier' system, that the Americans are in the top 3rd.

Ision

@ision
I'm not deity yet. I play several emperors random civs, random huge map and as many civs as allowed on C3C1.0, CivIII 1.29f and PTW 1.27f. Randomly I was assigned as Germany, Japan, India and Roman (I have no problem with them). Once I was assigned as American, and got a pangea with 24 civs on a continent. I was strugling to survive, no more room to expand, only a little huts I could get. Although I finally won by domination, but among other civs, it was the hardest emperor game I ever played. Someone told me (very respectful player, and for some reason, I better not to mention his name) that for American Civ the more the AIs the worst it would be. Then I follow his advice, American, Huge Map, and total standard civs (12?). The random give me archipelago and I was with Japan. Sure, this time playing as American was one of the easiest Emperor Game, I got several techs from huts. After I found all civs (I got Sci Leader and Rushed Great Light House), trading, soon, they were very backward, then I abandom the game (too boring).

1. American Civ would be better if we play with less civ and bigger map (expantionist )?!?
2. I'm not SID level yet, not even deity (still like enjoying monarch and Emperor Level). But what I read on SID level, Expantionist is quite useless. AI would outexpand u,

I hate having them as enemies. They're always so good and kill me every single time.

As another quote from a US election race states, the most important thing to the Americans?.... "its the economy, stupid". That throws some light on them in itself.

@Ision:

So far you've described most of these civs you've reviewed as "2nd tier," implying they're average-to-good but not the "best." I know these reviews take time, but in your opinion (i.e. just a list), what are the "top tier" civs, the "middle tier" civs, and the "bottom tier" civs?

I view India as a top civ. The americans would be in between top and middle but closer to the top. Russia is sometimes top too. I view France as a top but that may just be because that is my new fav civ.

one question: why do u built granaries? i allways feel this is a waste of shields. once a city is up to 6, it will not grow unless u built a aquaduct. being there fast is not a big issue for me.

It makes newer cities grow faster too which is imperative to have metropolises in a communism too support your army

It's very strange that you state that newbies tend to dislike America. The first day I played civ3 I went the Americans, and I've only tried another civ once. Generally I play by using my expansion against the enemies. With only 1 unit defending each city but having 3 times the amount of cities then my enemies, I am the most powerful nation. Generally, I start the game and no matter where my settler starts that is where Washington ends up. Then I move instantly onto building a granary. The reason for this should be seen in the goody hut percentage guide. If I have no units, am not building any settlers then I am likely to find a warrior or settler in a goody hut. This small chance is worth it.

Top Bottom