The 'Anarchy Bucket'

One basic decision would be, if the effect of negative happiness is nationwide or city specific.

In CivV happiness is a per-nation value, not a per-city value as in former versions. Therefore I would prefer only nation-wide effects of negative happiness / dark ages.

If we want city-specific effects like city becomes a city-state or some of the pop turns into rebel units, we also need city-specific happiness (displayed in each city), so that the player knows upfront which cities are in danger. That would be a big change for CivV.

I think we had that in former Civ-Versions so we are used to it and it seems natural to us, but in CivV Firaxis had decided that happiness is nation-wide, I think we should give that idea a chance.

I propose to reduce the population (-1 pop in each city, -2 in annexed without courthouse) in the first dark age, maybe more in subsequent plus -75% production for all but happiness-buildings + puppet cities concentrate on happiness-buildings.

That could be an idea, although I would think that the cities making demands to secede would be a better way of doing it. You could either agree to the demands, and hope to woo them back later, or you could refuse the demands, and a civil war would ensue. This would seem to be a more realistic mechanism than giving you control over possible secession of cities.

What you said, is what I meant. (If you were responding to me).

I also think that large amounts of population should become barbarians. Better yet a new class of barbarian ("rebel"). They should start off with the same, or a little lower, in terms of military-tech and perhaps should also inflict war weariness the longer it drags on... tick enough people off, they take up arms; if that carries on for too long, it becomes civil war.

One basic decision would be, if the effect of negative happiness is nationwide or city specific.

In CivV happiness is a per-nation value, not a per-city value as in former versions. Therefore I would prefer only nation-wide effects of negative happiness / dark ages.

If we want city-specific effects like city becomes a city-state or some of the pop turns into rebel units, we also need city-specific happiness (displayed in each city), so that the player knows upfront which cities are in danger. That would be a big change for CivV.

I think we had that in former Civ-Versions so we are used to it and it seems natural to us, but in CivV Firaxis had decided that happiness is nation-wide, I think we should give that idea a chance.

I propose to reduce the population (-1 pop in each city, -2 in annexed without courthouse) in the first dark age, maybe more in subsequent plus -75% production for all but happiness-buildings + puppet cities concentrate on happiness-buildings.

Yeah, true. But you can still think of the effect of cities (I mean, see the total empire happiness if you got rid of one city, and that's the "net" effect of that city). True, if you do add this in, then you would need to add the "city's effect" to happiness somewhere in the game. It would be a slight departure from global happiness, but if it only impacted this revolution mechanism, it wouldn't be that much of a departure overall.

What you said, is what I meant. (If you were responding to me).

Yes I was, and apologies for the misunderstanding. :)

I also think that large amounts of population should become barbarians. Better yet a new class of barbarian ("rebel"). They should start off with the same, or a little lower, in terms of military-tech and perhaps should also inflict war weariness the longer it drags on... tick enough people off, they take up arms; if that carries on for too long, it becomes civil war.

I agree with this idea, but a slightly modified version of it (I believe I suggested it in one of the threads I linked to earlier on- Post #16). I think that if cities break off, some of, or all of their military units, should become these 'rebel' units, rather than new ones spawning.

i propose quite large happiness rework:
1. introduce dark age as the opposite to the golden age.
2. symmetric levels of happiness/unhappiness:
2.1. (-1..+1): content
2.2. (-5..-1): displeased, (+1..+5): pleased
2.3. (-10..-5): unhappy, (+5..+10): happy
2.4. (-25..-10): very unhappy, (+10..+25): very happy
2.5. -25: instant dark age, +25: instant golden age
3. scale happiness with number of cities. e.g. if you have 2 cities, content level will be at -2..+2 (modifier should be equal to some function f(numCities))

what should be levels effects?
i think it should be some smoothly increasing effect.
like persentage of something, e.g. happiness*4%, with 100% at +25 (-25). plus some bonuces for hitting certain levels.

any ideas?

i have one for "unhappy": on this level emigration should begin.

I would prefer a smooth scale, rather than a number of levels that each have graduating effects. There should be a difference between -10 and -25 unhappiness, for example. There shouldn't be some lower or higher limit where going any further doesn't make a difference (using some sort of function (think a parabola, with the x-axis being the level of happiness, for a possible example), you'd get an effect with every movement, rather than changing effects only at the boundaries of levels).

TBH I think people overestimate the "ignore happiness" strategy. It only occurs in a really really fast horseman rush, and is almost always inferior to a puppet campaign. When the simple horseman patch inevitably comes, it won't be a viable strategy at all.

Top Bottom