The Asia Mod

Silkworms -> Silk -> Clothing

Tea Plants -> Tea (Green Tea for a more oriental feel)

Poppies Seeds -> Opium

Soybeans -> Soy Sauce XD (China and India used it WAY before America)

Salt can be find anywhere, so i don't think it be a good commodity. Now since it's going to be a bit Asian, replace the Corn to Rice, as it is the most used food in the eastern area. Replace the Church Crosses with the Buddha Statue, also make sure the temple is a Buddhist Temple. We need new looks on the people to make them look Asian, make the farmers wear them straw hats and the Soldiers look historically close (Meiji?). Asian Leaderheads as well and different movies as well (it's funny to declare independence in America when your not in America...).

We also need a change to a more oriental music as well to replace the tracks of the original. There Alcohol is not rum, it's sake. Did you forget the Mongols? They thrived in these lands as well.

If you want an Asia mod, you got to re-graphic and change everything, might replace the UI looks if you can. To make it look somewhat realistic to the colonization in Asia.

@Verenti

Yes you're right it should be Great Britain. My thoughts of naming the thing where a few centuries to early, when the Isles weren't together yet (Scotland, England and Whales being different countries and all) And about colonizing the natives peacefully I'm thinking about ambassies and trade contracts with the greater powers of the area.

About Japan being a fantasy option, I agree actually. But since the colonial development in Asia had a different chronological order we have to expand the timeline which just might put Japan in place.

@i. diavolorosso
Yes, they did. And as you said they did it in WWII. But isn't that time span a bit to modern, seeing as that after that 60&% of all African/Asian colonies got their indepence in the 15 years after it.

The prime-time of the Asian colonization period is in the 19th century, so I believe that when we talk about Asian colonial development, we should stick to that time.

Also, before anyone asks, the reason why I didn't put Portugal (Timor) and Germany (Papua) on the list is because well, their colonization wasn't really that great/influential in that area. At all.
I guess you're right.Doesn't notice that before ;)
BY the way, may i know your progress??
Like i said before, really interest with this one;)

I guess you're right.Doesn't notice that before ;)
BY the way, may i know your progress??
Like i said before, really interest with this one;)

Theres no actual progress, I only offered to help mr. sirsnuggles. Haven't heard anything about that actually. I may start this mod all by myself, just have to figure how to do the map and rescources an all.

Even if I weren't doing an Asia or Africa mod I would want to figure out those things actually, for my own secret project. It has something to do with Colonization and the title of a Nintendo game:p.

You may consider the Germans for entry into this mod, as I seem to remember they had colonies in Papua-New Guinea

Theres no actual progress, I only offered to help mr. sirsnuggles. Haven't heard anything about that actually. I may start this mod all by myself, just have to figure how to do the map and rescources an all.

Even if I weren't doing an Asia or Africa mod I would want to figure out those things actually, for my own secret project. It has something to do with Colonization and the title of a Nintendo game:p.
:p
Ouwch, so i'll just wait the good news from him
:)

You may consider the Germans for entry into this mod, as I seem to remember they had colonies in Papua-New Guinea

Not everyone reads all the posts I noticed:lol:.

As you read a few posts back you I said that, although they had Papua (not the New Guinea part) colonised, there influence in the area wasn't big enough. If in the original they would add countries with the same amount of influence, we would have had Denmark, Scotland and Prussia/Germany allready in game:D.

Still wonder why they left Portugal and Russia out actually.

Well, other than Alaska, which is hardly in Asia, Russia didnt really make any significant oceanic based colonisation. Their "colonisation" was more in middle asia, as they didn't really change the face of the far east or south and south east asia.

Where Germany didn't colonise much other than Papua-New Guinea, Japan in comparison colonised nothing, and their colonisation in the area corresponded to taking over other countries, which in good conscience was only really Korea. Plus Japan is less suitable as a player country because it's motherland is on the gameplay map, especially if Russia is included. Even taking in the acquisition of Indochina from Vichy-France as Colonisation, which I don't, or the capture of Malaysia, which I really don't, The territorial gains weren't that great and sure weren't held for a long time.

Not particularly good reasons for the inclusion of Germany, but it's not much worse than Spain included, and better than Russia and Japan.

Well, other than Alaska, which is hardly in Asia, Russia didnt really make any significant oceanic based colonisation. Their "colonisation" was more in middle asia, as they didn't really change the face of the far east or south and south east asia.

Where Germany didn't colonise much other than Papua-New Guinea, Japan in comparison colonised nothing, and their colonisation in the area corresponded to taking over other countries, which in good conscience was only really Korea. Plus Japan is less suitable as a player country because it's motherland is on the gameplay map, especially if Russia is included. Even taking in the acquisition of Indochina from Vichy-France as Colonisation, which I don't, or the capture of Malaysia, which I really don't, The territorial gains weren't that great and sure weren't held for a long time.

Not particularly good reasons for the inclusion of Germany, but it's not much worse than Spain included, and better than Russia and Japan.

All you say is true, but this is an Asia mod, not a south-east Asia mod or East Indies mod. I believe the plan is the mod also includes major parts of the mainland. I'm talking Siberia untill Manchuria. (Hence Russian influence)

And what you say about Japan is true, most of their colonies were conquered. Yet they did colonize some lesser places (Colonize, not conquer) like the Ryuki-Islands and other small patches of Islands. Thus leaving their mark outside their mainland. But yeah, the place is on the mothermap, thus not all that suited.

But in order to make a nice mod, we have to make choices, because, if we look to colonization, and colonization only. Only the Dutch and the Brittains would make this mod work. And I'm not even that sure about the Brittains because India and all it's subdivision were pretty tight, none tribalised societies. Hence another conquer not colonize thing.

So the choice is all yours, a mod with your criteria including only the Dutch, or a bit looser criteria and having none Asian countries with a big influence in the area :D.

I think there may be something to not having Japan and China as simple native civs. I would also say that this should really break with the "colonization" model and should focus on more of a conquest model because, as has been noted, Asia had large, dense populations by the time the Europeans arrived and there was never really an opportunity establish colonies from scratch on largely unused land.

Also, the early period of the exploration of Asia by the Europeans was dominated by the Portuguese and Spanish. If you're going to set this later, then you can get away with leaving out the Portuguese. Otherwise, they should be included.

I agree with Dom Pedro, any mod focusing on Asia should have asian civs with full civ status, then add some minors indian-like in colonizable places. Dont know if its possible to create such a mod but it would definitly be very interesting!

That was one of my ideas too, and I believe it could be made possible. Not yet sure how. But from what I could understand from the code something can be done;)

That was one of my ideas too, and I believe it could be made possible. Not yet sure how. But from what I could understand from the code something can be done;)

Given the amount of code they've exposed (if Civ4 has been any experience), damn near anything can be done. You can have pink flying horsies if it suits you. I'm compiling a list of things I'd like to see added right now... some of which will be drastic changes to the game. Such is the beauty of Civ.

Well that mod is not quite the same I think. That is about the Asian Colonisation of the New World, whereas this is about the European Colonisation of Asia. Should be interesting to watch how the two develop and reflect/differ from each other! :)

One thing to note: the Asian colonisation of Asia, in terms of territories, did not really progress much until the 1700s (India) and 1800s (elsewhere). Before this European companies competed with Asians and each other for control of trade routes and their presence on land is limited to trading posts/coastal fortresses (partly because Europeans were never in enough numbers and never had the military edge to overcome Asian empires). Perhaps this mod could model the changing nature of the Asian-European interaction, and the opening, closing, and reopening of Asian countries throughout the period of 1500 - 1900.

Don't know if anyone is still working on this, but I'll be stealing some founding-father ideas from you ;)

Top Bottom