The basics of Armies

Thanks for the answer, that was a question I've been having for awhile (whether special abilities such as the amphibious attack could be used in armies).

Related question:

If you are using an elite amphibious unit to attack from a ship, and the ship is full, can a victory generate a MGL? And if so, where would the MGL show up? Since the ship is full, would it show up in your capital, or would this condition just disallow any MGL generation from the victories?

I've seen it stated that the leader treads water until picked up by a ship with spare capacity.

Camber said:
Thanks for the answer, that was a question I've been having for awhile (whether special abilities such as the amphibious attack could be used in armies).

Related question:

If you are using an elite amphibious unit to attack from a ship, and the ship is full, can a victory generate a MGL? And if so, where would the MGL show up? Since the ship is full, would it show up in your capital, or would this condition just disallow any MGL generation from the victories?

I believe that if all the units have amphibious capability the Army can already invade in Conquests. That's why I was disappointed with the all para Army being grounded -- it's good to know it can be turned on.

I'd be interested to see if the AI would drop an army much less a mixed unit one. I would just limit my army drops to all paratroop armies.

Thanks for the answer regarding paradropping.

SewerStarFish said:
I believe that if all the units have amphibious capability the Army can already invade in Conquests.(...)

Under stock rules you might only run into this problems if you play the Vikings, but mixing different amphibious units will prevent the army from using "amphibious".

Camber said:
Related question:

The leader will remain at the square it was created even if the boat moves away. If an enemy ship comes by it will be abel to destroy your MGL. It can picked up as in a city by moving empty ships to the tile and load it.

In patch 1.22 of C3C, using Vikings, I loaded an Army with all Berserks. It was unable to mount an amphibious assault.

With the newest patch, if I load a ship with a berserk army it has no problems making an amphibious attack. Are you sure the army is not a combination of berserks and marines? And are you using any mods?

No mods. Berserks only. Didn't have Amphibious Assault tech at the time. I do play with the no CD crack. I suppose that might affect the game mechanics.

A few comments about armies (3C3):

- I think that armies CAN generate MGL.

- I believe all units can gain experience, but the first one has a higher probability as it will fight more.

- I've placed 4 marines in an army and it could make amphibous assaults.

- I've placed 3 assassins in an Army and it was not able to choose which unit to attack.

I have some questions related to armies:
* What is the order of battle inside an army?
* What is the upkeep cost of an army?
* If all the army units are "invisible", is the army invisible?

Armies can not produce MGL.
All units may gain experience.
OB is best to worst attacker when attacking, defender when defending.
I don't know
No.

An Army with consisting of one unit that has hidden nationality will retain hidden nationality. I haven't tested yet with multiple unit armies. This obviously only applies to modded games.

Roxlimn said:
No mods. Berserks only. Didn't have Amphibious Assault tech at the time. I do play with the no CD crack. I suppose that might affect the game mechanics.

Techs doesn't have any impact on if you are able to or not. Could you post the save file where it doesn't work?

Luthor_Saxburg said:
- I think that armies CAN generate MGL.

A test I made was:
an elite army unit filled with elites kiled about 200 warriors without generating any MGL's. Furthermore no one has ever reported such a thing.

Luthor_Saxburg said:
- I believe all units can gain experience, but the first one has a higher probability as it will fight more.

Yes they can. The unit fighting at the point the army wins will have a chance of promotion, but never the army unit itself.

Luthor_Saxburg said:
- I've placed 4 marines in an army and it could make amphibous assaults.

Yes that's possible as long as there is only one type of amphibious unit in the army.

Luthor_Saxburg said:
- I've placed 3 assassins in an Army and it was not able to choose which unit to attack.

That's right. No rule without exceptions. Some special abilites will not be transfereed to the army.

Luthor_Saxburg said:
I have some questions related to armies:
* What is the order of battle inside an army?
* What is the upkeep cost of an army?
* If all the army units are "invisible", is the army invisible?

* the strongest unit first descending down to the weakest, with each unit taking fighting equal to their percentage of the total HPs.
* one gpt for the army unit itself plus one gpt for every unit inside. Each army also requires four cities as support.
* not sure, it might be one of those that is not transferred to the army

Theoden

I have A Lider on my city, but cant find the create arme icon. Where should it be?

Thanks

It should be in the second row from the button, the same row that workers have their road etc. commands. Or you could just use 'B' which is the hotkey for 'build army'.

It does not appear. I press B, and nothing.

You need four cities. How big is a town to be a city?

I'm a big empire, predominant, with espionage technology, factories, etc.

I don't think '4 cities' means 4 cities bigger than pop 6. I believe any size will do.

Is this Conquests? If so, are you sure the leader's a Military Great Leader? If he's a Scientific Leader then he can't build an army.

Armies also have a zone of control (ZoC) which means if a hostile units moves past them there's a chance they will lose 1hp.

I can confirm that in a recent CGOTM the AI attacked my army of 3 MDIs which retreated when it had 1hp left.

AIs will attack an army in the open if it's the only target they have available.

I landed a stack of troops on another continent, covered by a Cavalry army, and the AI attacked it (with a Longbowman :lol: )

I'm not sure but I think the army has to be the only target on the entire continent, not just within AI's LOS, to get the AI into relentless attacking (unless of course that they really want the army's tile).

I'm not sure but I think the army has to be the only target on the entire continent, not just within AI's LOS, to get the AI into relentless attacking
Even that's not enough. In my SAW game, an army (or multiple armies) were the only target on the entire continent, and they weren't attacked. I've started doing some preliminary testing on when an AI will attack, and it's really REALLY odd, to the point where I don't think I can ever really formulate it concisely.

@eldar, do you have a savegame to show that? I've heard/seen of the effect, but it's very hard to reproduce...a save would help immensely.

Arathorn

Top Bottom