1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Battlefront 2 saga

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by sherbz, Nov 18, 2017.

1. civvver

civvver Deity

The bethesda thing seems dubious considering how they keep trying to introduce paid mods into skyrim.

2. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Very true. Its encouraging though that publishers themselves are either trying to consolidate what they have, or making a point about not being like that at all (Red Hook studios - who said they will leave "Greed to others"). It should also serve as a stark warning about what can happen should that type of system be employed. It woudlnt surprise me if some games in development are currently being "tweaked".

In some ways ii understand why Disney would go to a publisher like EA with an exclusive. They have access to probably the widest selection of talent when it comes to designing types of game: Mobile games, shooters, sports etc. But a small part of me would yearn for a star wars title published by red hook. If they were given the rights to KOTOR or something similar, they could create something magnificent.

3. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

The sad thing about Bethesda and paid mods is that it is actually a great concept in theory. Imagine giving mod creators who have proven to have great ideas access to resources and professional game designers who can help them put their ideas into a framework that can properly be implemented. If you can actually bring those mods up to the standard of the actual game (which isn't very high for Bethesda games :p), that would surely be something worth paying for, a semi-professional, curated alternative to free mods.

Instead, Bethesda first attempts to just turn a medium that was free before into a cashgrab without taking any responsibility for the quality of the products, and then in the second attempts pushes out the Creation Club which is just a collection of mini-Payments, worthless garbage that adds little to nothing to the game, and most of it has already been done better by free mods.

4. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

I'm bumping this, as things are now getting interesting. 1 year on, and the battle front 2 fiasco is still felt by the gaming community. And reprocussions are now afoot.

Belgium, the Netherlands, and a reported 16 other EU countries are now examining the issue (and Washington). And EA, with it's golden goose of FIFA on the chopping block, is fighting the decision the Belgian authorities have taken - which is to classify loot boxes as gambling (or a form there of). So these are interesting times indeed. I sincerely hope they rule against EA. I've never played competitive online games really. But I can certainly see that loot box inclusion, if implemented here, would be a very bad thing for gaming as a whole, and it's a worthy cause to fight against. I myself have contacted my member of parliament, met him on a few occasions, and discussed the issue.

Anyway, I think EA will lose, and I also think their entire business model is wrong - along with 2ks. Something like 70% of their revenue is generated by this horse ****. Mostly as a result of their sports franchises - NBA2K and FIFA. And you cut that off, then what's left? A mediocre company that doesn't actually make good games.

For the sake of the industry, and for the sake of gaming, I think it's high time gaming moved from silicon valley to other shores. Money corrupts, and too many American companies are quite literally taking the piss. 2k even had the audacity to ask it's Belgian "fans" to lobby their government to turn the ******* things back on.

No to loot boxes! No to micro transactions in premium games! And no to their bull ****!

5. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Im bumping this:

:bump:

Mostly as it marks what i consider to be the beginning of the end of 3 years worth of work. When this story first announced itself - i was angry - very angry. I went to go and see my member of parliament. I wrote letters and emails to politicians. I complained and argued. Seems as though they may have listened. And that is in many ways a beautiful thing. I shall put my letter i wrote to the BBC up here, merely for closure, but i think it important to offer hope that things can be changed (or given the option of) if the right course of action is taken. It might not always be easy, or fast, but usually its the best way of making a difference.

6. sherbz

sherbz Emperor