The Buildings of Civilization - Dissecting Districts

Sort of... they're called Cathedrals, Churches, Mosques, Synagogues, etc.
Yeah. That's what I meant by the opposite being true. In Civ terms, that means cathedrals providing culture. That makes sense from a real world and possibly game perspective.

But then why call it the Aqueduct District rather than, say, the Health District with the Aqueduct being the first building you make?

But then isn't it weird, if you focus on the name, that the museum is on the theater square? While if you go beyond the name, it works because the museum is a culture building and the theater district is the culture district.

If you leave the district name aside, as chazzycat said a hospital does fit a growth district.

It's important to note that the word "district" isn't in any of the names of the districts. The "Commercial hub" houses economic buildings, the "campus" houses your educational institutions.

Most of the time the naming conventions make sense. I for one think "Theater Square" should be changed. Interestingly enough, I think the new name should actually have "district" in the title because "Cultural Districts" are actually a thing that exist; which happen to contain the 3 types of buildings we've seen placed in the "Theater Square" so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_district

As for the Aqueduct, if the Aqueduct is a building in addition to being the name of the district that'd be very redundant. At least the theater square has an amphitheatre. An alternative would be "Waterworks" or "Utilities".

So we know Nuclear Plants are the tier 3 Industrial Zone building.

Presumably this building would require Uranium. Could it be assumed that there's a resource-free alternative to this building? Solar/Wind farms perhaps? Or buildings that require an alternative, dirtier, resource, like Oil Power Plants? Should Uranium be a "mandatory" resource like Coal has always been?

Personally I'd like to see every district have a few either-or decisions at some point. Do I want to stick a Barracks here or a Stable? An Opera House or a Museum. A Customs House or a Boatyard.

That would make the most sense. They have a lot of options to work with; District being placed near river = Hydro plant. Flatland no resources = Solar plant. Coal/Uraniam = Coal/Nuclear.

However, we don't necessarily know the name of that building - It's entirely possible it's merely a generic "Power Plant" without alternatives or resource requirements. That said, this would certainly be the simplest spot to provide the "either or" option that the Encampment and Holy site appear to get.

Another thing I've become curious about is if the first building that you can place within a district is unlocked at the same time of the district itself. For example, discovering writing allows you to construct a campus. Does it also unlock the Library? Or would you have to say (by comparison to older versions), Discover Alphabet?

I can see both options making sense. I'd prefer the latter, but I'm betting it's the former.

It's important to note that the word "district" isn't in any of the names of the districts. The "Commercial hub" houses economic buildings, the "campus" houses your educational institutions.

Most of the time the naming conventions make sense. I for one think "Theater Square" should be changed. Interestingly enough, I think the new name should actually have "district" in the title because "Cultural Districts" are actually a thing that exist; which happen to contain the 3 types of buildings we've seen placed in the "Theater Square" so far.

As for the Aqueduct, if the Aqueduct is a building in addition to being the name of the district that'd be very redundant. At least the theater square has an amphitheatre. An alternative would be "Waterworks" or "Utilities".
Dont you mean theatre hexagon?

That would make the most sense. They have a lot of options to work with; District being placed near river = Hydro plant. Flatland no resources = Solar plant. Coal/Uraniam = Coal/Nuclear.

However, we don't necessarily know the name of that building - It's entirely possible it's merely a generic "Power Plant" without alternatives or resource requirements. That said, this would certainly be the simplest spot to provide the "either or" option that the Encampment and Holy site appear to get.

Another thing I've become curious about is if the first building that you can place within a district is unlocked at the same time of the district itself. For example, discovering writing allows you to construct a campus. Does it also unlock the Library? Or would you have to say (by comparison to older versions), Discover Alphabet?

I can see both options making sense. I'd prefer the latter, but I'm betting it's the former.

It may depend on the district. Writing seems to unlock both campus and library. On the other hand, doesn't seems like any Aqueduct district building is unlocked earlier on?

To be fair in Toronto we have a "Discovery District" where almost all the hospitals/research labs/university/library are located. So naming everything by "District" shouldn't be too far fetched. Maybe preferable even for new players to know if a tooltip says "must build 'campus'" that they know this is a district and not a building? :think:

On that subject we also have a Distillery District for +1 happiness per pop :beer:

Civ V had the Public School building.

I'd guess that the University could be said to represent the school system in other versions.

Well wouldn't University represent a framework for providing specialized education to a select few, whereas public school would represent the framework for providing a generalized education to everyone?

I could see The Research Lab and Public School competing for the third tier. Public School could provide a science that scales with population, & Research Lab could confer more of a flat science bonus. That way both cities both small and tall could be competitive in science.

Well wouldn't University represent a framework for providing specialized education to a select few, whereas public school would represent the framework for providing a generalized education to everyone?

I could see The Research Lab and Public School competing for the third tier. Public School could provide a science that scales with population, & Research Lab could confer more of a flat science bonus. That way both cities both small and tall could be competitive in science.

I like this. Research Lab should cost more gold somehow too (even though it looks like maintenance is gone).

I always wished I could sub-specialize the buildings somehow. For example, a university can be an Arts focused one (+ culture bonus) or a Philosophy (+ science) or Engineering (+ hammers)..etc. I realize that choosing the techs sorts of mimics that but I always felt the tech tree is too connected that you end up unlocking everything anyway and you never get the feeling that two civs can be really good in
"science" but one produces some high-tech weapons and the other some growth inducing buildings/upgrades to the city. I suppose separating the civics tree is a good start, but "science" still seems too general to me.

Top Bottom