The Buildings of Civilization - Dissecting Districts

Hospitals can easily fit with aqueducts and sewers. They look different, but they all have the same overall goal of improving the health of the population. Aqueducts do it by providing clean water, sewers do it by transporting dirty waste away from water & food sources. Hospitals do it by healing injured or sick people. But the result for all three is longer average lifespans (reduced mortality), and hence more opportunities to procreate. In a word, Growth.

But then why call it the Aqueduct District rather than, say, the Health District with the Aqueduct being the first building you make?

But then why call it the Aqueduct District rather than, say, the Health District with the Aqueduct being the first building you make?

they want 3 buildings in addition to the aqueduct

(And I do hope the 3rd building has at least 2 options; Recycling Center/Medical lab... that is a concept that I hope extends to all the Districts... Maybe you can get a public School OR Research lab)

Have the choice to build one of them would be most interesting!

and it would fit with what Ed has said about avoiding automation.

If all I need to do in a city is place the districts, and after that I'm just filling them all with the same things, then I could automate that (and should be able to).

BUT if every district has at least 1 building choice (like Barracks v. Stable) I actually have to manage those decisions.
(although hopefully they will let you put in a queue with buildings you can't currently build.... when I build my Campus in 2000 BC, I might want to put
Library
[University]
[Public School]

in the queue (since I know this city should have a Public School and not a research lab ahead of time.)

the England reveal lends itself to speculation that there are museum sub-types, or specializations, at least. Perhaps Archaeological museums are for Artifacts, Art Museums are for great works of Art. Seems plausible, though unconfirmed.

This would lend itself to idea that within each district, at least one of the buildings can serve a specialized purpose; much like the barracks and stable specialize the encampment district. If my speculation on the 3rd Industrial district being the power plant proves correct, then that could certainly allow for the trend to continue by having the option to build Coal/Hydro/Nuclear/Solar Plants, dependent on the surrounding resources/terrain.

Which would mean each District could have 3 slots, one of which determines a sort of "specialization" for the district itself; Does the Encampment provide better mounted units or better soldiers? Does the Theater District focus on collecting great works from artists or unearthing Archaeological sites? I can already think of specialization differences for the commerce district; A building that enhances trade yields, versus a building that enhances tile yields; a bit of a Mercantilism/Free Trade split.

If this doesn't already exist in some form in the game. I expect it will be modded. I sounds like a natural direction to take districts.

I also think there may be different types of museum, where the archaeological one is the one with the dinosaurs bones on the outside, while the version without it is a different kind of museum.

Wasn't an SDI defence system in civ IV, or did you not include it because it was a project (I believe, I don't always play to the modern era so I'm not quite sure).

The Aqueduct must be near fresh water, so it must be a District. Anything else would be confusing as hell. Better awkward than confusing, imo (and, so it seems, Firaxis').

Don't look like there are different kinds of museums. Most likely museums are for archaeology only.

How do you figure? Presumably Museums will come in 3/4 flavors. Art, Archaelogy/Paleontology, Holy Relics.

Don't look like there are different kinds of museums. Most likely museums are for archaeology only.
The fact that it's called "Archaeological Museum" instead of just "Museum" implies that there are other kinds of Museums. Art Museum seems like a obvious alternative.

This may be like Barracks vs. Stables in that you have to choose which to build.

edit: you can see the slight difference in the two museums; one has dinosaur bones, the other some kind of sculpture:

Holy Relics probably go in a religious building in the Holy Site, not in a museum.

The fact that it's called "Archaeological Museum" instead of just "Museum" implies that there are other kinds of Museums. Art Museum seems like a obvious alternative.

This may be like Barracks vs. Stables in that you have to choose which to build.

edit: you can see the slight difference in the two museums; one has dinosaur bones, the other some kind of sculpture:
Spoiler :

Holy Relics probably go in a religious building in the Holy Site, not in a museum.

I don't see why they couldn't also go in a museum if you were trying to maximize your faith.... I imagine a "Natural History" (paleontology) museum might yield some science, and a "Relic" Museum could yield some faith... in addition to either culture or tourism (of which art and archaeology would produce both)

I could imagine excess works of writing going in a Library or University (and yielding some culture from their existence there)

Holy relics were a huge deal in medieval Europe long before museums existed. They will almost certainly go into Cathedrals or whatever the worship building is for your chosen religion, as they did in real history.

You could also have a "Faith Museum", but that would be redundant.

Holy relics were a huge deal in medieval Europe long before museums existed. They will almost certainly go into Cathedrals or whatever the worship building is for your chosen religion, as they did in real history.

You could also have a "Faith Museum", but that would be redundant.

Well I'm talking about in Addition to the Holy Sites/Cathedrals.. Those would be where Relics would go for players that don't want to have a 'Faith Museum'.

Well I'm talking about in Addition to the Holy Sites/Cathedrals.. Those would be where Relics would go for players that don't want to have a 'Faith Museum'.
Again, I don't see the need for the duplication, especially since Holy Sites are available much earlier.

Holy Relics are not intellectual curiosities. They are the centerpieces of sites of worship.

Again, I don't see the need for the duplication, especially since Holy Sites are available much earlier.

Holy Relics are not intellectual curiosities. They are the centerpieces of sites of worship.

And a "Faith museum" would be just that...a site for worship in the cultural district because faith is an integral part of culture in that city.

And a "Faith museum" would be just that...a site for worship in the cultural district because faith is an integral part of culture in that city.

Are there examples of places like "faith museums" in real life, i.e., museums that people worship at? I know the opposite (holy buildings that people visit for cultural reasons) are pretty common.

These choices between two buildings are really reminding me of Beyond earths choice of two building quest solutions.

I wonder if they'll be a lot more building choices for each slot besides the two we know. Like lighthouse vs Seawall or something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom