The Combat better be overhauled

Given it's a total conversion, I'd assume the combat will be pretty similar to Civ4's....

That would be a disaster. I just quit playing a game of Civ4:BtS because the combat system absolutely stunk! It's the worst I've seen since the Civ early days of a phlanx beating a tank. :spear:

Nobody seems to recall that revolutionary troops had an advantage over the loyalist troops if they attacked a loyalist unit in difficult terrain, such as forest or a hill. That's the same advantage an Indian enjoyed against your troops.

The trick was to keep a good supply of horses; buying horses from the Indians was one good way. And, of course, keeping at least one gunsmith busy in an arsenal is also a must.

One thing I *really* hope they have removed is the way you could enlarge your army before the revolution by simply capturing enemy troops, equpping them and sending them into battle. Inane.

The real trick was to pick the colony with the best defensive terrain adjacent to the sea and then move all the soldiers out of that colony. The kings forces would think it was underdefended and land on the mountain, hill or rainforest next to your colony. If they chose to land on a mountain, your forces had a 150% ambush bonus and could kill the redcoats without any trouble.

One strategy that made artillery very usefull in colonization was having only 1 coastal city. All the king his landing forces would attack that city, inland cities would only require a few troops. This coastal city can then be supplied with artillery produced in inland artillery colonies(colonies who produce a lot of hammers and a small amount of tools), even cash crop cololonies who produce hammers(like quite all my colonies did) can eventually produce artillery after they have build all the rest they need.

Producing artillery, producing horses/muskets, buying units with cash good profits, buying troops with aztec/inca conquest profit or any mix of them can all be good and effective strategies in colonization. That was exactly one of the things I loved so much about colonization: There where many roads to victory in the original colonization.

One strategy that made artillery very usefull in colonization was having only 1 coastal city....

That is a very effective strategy and one that I used more successfully than any other. :agree:

That was exactly one of the things I loved so much about colonization: There where many roads to victory in the original colonization.
Even though general I would agree I also think the war of independency created such bottleneck for strategy that in the end it was about gathering muskets and horses and artillery and repairing your country to the war.

I think I found that problematic so even though you could choose anyway to prosper in the game (example more peaceful means) in the end it always was only going for military decision in the form of war with the motherland.

I find it strange that there won't be other victory conditions, maybe they can be modded in since I find it a problem in otherwise very free and marvelous game.

Top Bottom