The combination of 2 mods

Chingis

Chieftain
Note: Yes, I know that this is in the wrong place, but I don't know where the proper place is, if the admins have time, maybe they could move it.

I had recently got the Starting points mod, which gives a bunch of maps and puts the civilizations where they should actually go. Rather simple. And I know that mods exist that allow more than 18 civs, but I was wondering if there was a way to go into the game files, edit the game to allow all 34 civs, and play a game of civ in a real world map with every civ starting where they should. Is there a way I could possibly find where the game says: MAX_CIVS=18?

It's in the dll (CvDefines.h). Find one in the downloads database that allows more than 18 civs. Merging it with an existing modified dll means that you would need to be able to re-compile the dll.

When you have one, you will have to adjust your WorldBuilder/Scenario saves accordingly.

It's in the dll (CvDefines.h). Find one in the downloads database that allows more than 18 civs. Merging it with an existing modified dll means that you would need to be able to re-compile the dll.

When you have one, you will have to adjust your WorldBuilder/Scenario saves accordingly.

Great response, although you made one incorrect assumption.

That assumption being that I know what the f*** I am doing.

So could it be possible for you to provide me a more neckbeard skrublord friendly approach to this?

To be rather frank, I have no experience whatsoever with code compiling, and I just thought one day, "Hey, if I combined these 2 mods, that would be awesome!" and so I got a code compiler, started looking, found nothing, and turned here for some help. Compared to most people, I am very skilled with Windows (7 to be particular).

Let me put it differently: if you don't play with a custom/modified dll, then just get one in the database that allows 50 civs for example or, better, just 34 civs.

Then, in the WB/Scenario file, you just have to open the positions for the extra number of civs. This tutorial will help you.

On the other hand, if you want to play with a custom/modified dll and incorporate yourself the very simple change to allow more civs, you will need to be able to re-compile the dll. This tutorial will help you.

Otherwise, you're screwed... :p

Let me put it differently: if you don't play with a custom/modified dll, then just get one in the database that allows 50 civs for example or, better, just 34 civs.

Then, in the WB/Scenario file, you just have to open the positions for the extra number of civs. This tutorial will help you.

On the other hand, if you want to play with a custom/modified dll and incorporate yourself the very simple change to allow more civs, you will need to be able to re-compile the dll. This tutorial will help you.

Otherwise, you're screwed... :p

Well this helped me a lot more, Thanks.

I found that I need to change something in the file Cvdefines.h

What's the file path for that? I can't find it anywhere.

If you have the source files of the mod you're playing with, it should be in there. If it isn't and thus was not modified by the mod, you should indeed get the original one which is in the Beyond the Sword/CvGameCoreDLL folder.

You might not have this folder if you're on Steam. In this case, the original files are in the database. Note: it was uploaded by Asaf and referenced in his guide, so it looks like you still have to read it.

Spoiler :
You don't say if actually you are using a modified dll or not. If not, this process is not necessary as you could just use one of the two dlls mentioned in my previous post.

2 more problems now...

1. I don't actually know what a dll is

2. I checked the mod I was trying to mod (Starting Points), and all the files that were there are just the stuff the mod needed, not anything that came with vanilla civ, should I just modify the base civ files?

CvGameCoreDLL.dll, about 5MB, is located directly under the Assets folder. It's an important part of Civ4 and contains a huge amount of codes for the game (in C++, then compiled into a dll). It's an extension of the EXE executable file of the Game. Some Mods have modified this file and propose their own version of this dll. In this case, you would find it directly under the Assets folder of the Mod.

Could you provide a link to your "Starting Points"? Most probably, it doesn't have a custom dll, which would make your life easier...

should I just modify the base civ files?

No.
Never do this.
Not ever.

There is no reason to do so.

If you do it, it will change the base game and every mod that does not have a custom version of the same files. Amongst other things this will make it impossible for you to play multiplayer games except with mods that do have custom versions of everything you changed, unless you can convince somebody else to do the foolish thing of changing all those files too.

If you want to change things in more files just pull those files into the mod just like the ones that were already changed.

Of course, I may have misunderstood - you may have meant bringing them into the mod, rather than modifying them where they are. In which case: Yes, bring them into the mod.

CvGameCoreDLL.dll, about 5MB, is located directly under the Assets folder. It's an important part of Civ4 and contains a huge amount of codes for the game (in C++, then compiled into a dll). It's an extension of the EXE executable file of the Game. Some Mods have modified this file and propose their own version of this dll. In this case, you would find it directly under the Assets folder of the Mod.

Could you provide a link to your "Starting Points"? Most probably, it doesn't have a custom dll, which would make your life easier...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356237

No.
Never do this.
Not ever.

There is no reason to do so.

If you do it, it will change the base game and every mod that does not have a custom version of the same files. Amongst other things this will make it impossible for you to play multiplayer games except with mods that do have custom versions of everything you changed, unless you can convince somebody else to do the foolish thing of changing all those files too.

If you want to change things in more files just pull those files into the mod just like the ones that were already changed.

Of course, I may have misunderstood - you may have meant bringing them into the mod, rather than modifying them where they are. In which case: Yes, bring them into the mod.

Okay, but how do I add custom files instead of editing the base ones?

Okay, but how do I add custom files instead of editing the base ones?

Obviously some confusion going on here. What this means is make a copy of the base files into your own mod folder and then you can edit them there.

For XML files you should only copy over files (using the same directory structure) that you wish to change.

For the DLL you need to make a copy of all the files in the CvGameCoreDLL folder and then just edit those you need to. You need all the files, even those you are not changing, as the compilation process needs them all there.

The "Starting Points" mod does not have a custom dll. So, as I thought, you can skip the whole dll modification process and forget about the Cvdefines.h file.

All you need to do about it is to download one of the "already modified for you" dll as I refer to in post #4 and put it directly under the Assets folder of the mod.

Still, you will have to modify the Scenarios/Maps to allow the extra Civs/Players/Teams in game, with the assistance of the tutorial linked in post #4. Just make sure to keep a clean copy of these files, just in case.

The "Starting Points" mod does not have a custom dll. So, as I thought, you can skip the whole dll modification process and forget about the Cvdefines.h file.

All you need to do about it is to download one of the "already modified for you" dll as I refer to in post #4 and put it directly under the Assets folder of the mod.

Still, you will have to modify the Scenarios/Maps to allow the extra Civs/Players/Teams in game, with the assistance of the tutorial linked in post #4. Just make sure to keep a clean copy of these files, just in case.

Okay, I have the 34 civs file downloaded, but I can't figure out anywhere in the tutorial where it says what to do with it. All I can find is what all the stuff means and how to edit it, so I have the file, how do I turn it into a scenario?

Also, I feel bad for dragging 4 people now into this and I still have no idea what I'm doing, sorry for all of this.

It's OK! :)

Just leave the 34 Civs - dll file as it is under the Assets folder of the "Starting Points" Mod, nothing else to do about it.

To change the scenario as per the tutorial: right-click on the file you want to play (located in PrivateMaps) with a text editor (Notepad or better Notepad++ which is free). The file will have an extension *.CivBeyondSwordWBSave.

The idea is to expand the number of Teams, Players to 33 (from 0 to 33 means 34 slots). Look at how it is already done in the file for 18 Teams/Players and fill the file accordingly with the new Civs.

Remember that the 34 Civs dll will only work with an edited/extended scenario file.

You will have to find their starting location from the Map file (their X and Y coordinates).

Also, remember that if you don't play with starting teams, Team 0 is for Player 0, Team 1 is for Player 1, etc up to 33.

Good luck! Try it and come back if you have more questions.

It's OK! :)

Just leave the 34 Civs - dll file as it is under the Assets folder of the "Starting Points" Mod, nothing else to do about it.

To change the scenario as per the tutorial: right-click on the file you want to play (located in PrivateMaps) with a text editor (Notepad or better Notepad++ which is free). The file will have an extension *.CivBeyondSwordWBSave.

The idea is to expand the number of Teams, Players to 33 (from 0 to 33 means 34 slots). Look at how it is already done in the file for 18 Teams/Players and fill the file accordingly with the new Civs.

Remember that the 34 Civs dll will only work with an edited/extended scenario file.

You will have to find their starting location from the Map file (their X and Y coordinates).

Also, remember that if you don't play with starting teams, Team 0 is for Player 0, Team 1 is for Player 1, etc up to 33.

Good luck! Try it and come back if you have more questions.

I feel so stupid. I tried this, tediously copied, pasted and typed out for all 33 other civs, tried it, it didn't work, and then I realized it was for the wrong map. I am brilliant.

After I had fixed the proper file, nothing had happened, I might as well have done nothing. This might have been because I didn't even pay attention to what you had said here: "Remember that the 34 Civs dll will only work with an edited/extended scenario file.", can you elaborate?

After I had fixed the proper file, nothing had happened, I might as well have done nothing. This might have been because I didn't even pay attention to what you had said here: "Remember that the 34 Civs dll will only work with an edited/extended scenario file.", can you elaborate?

An edited Scenario/Map for 34 Civs will only work with a 34 Civs dll (not with the standard dll).

A Scenario/Map for only 18 Civs might work with a 34 Civs dll though as the game might fill in the empty slots with "NONE" players. I'm not sure about this, never tested it.

In the meantime, you might have seen the answer made by God-Emperor on a similar request here.

Top Bottom