The Complete Guide To Map Creation (image heavy)

Wow... don't tell me how tedious it must have been to put up such a post...

Very good job indeed, much much appreciated and useful

Great guide.

But I was surprised when playing a Oasis map that there was no Aluminum on the whole map. I was forced to finish the game with WWII level tanks and planes (was playing Warlords expansion, going for a Time victory).

Is this true for all Oasis maps? Any other maps missing a certain resource?

Edit: Also in the description for Oasis, you might mention that there are several (number dependent on size?) north flowing rivers. The south tended to have more ore's while the north had horses.

Great guide.

But I was surprised when playing a Oasis map that there was no Aluminum on the whole map. I was forced to finish the game with WWII level tanks and planes (was playing Warlords expansion, going for a Time victory).

Is this true for all Oasis maps? Any other maps missing a certain resource?

Edit: Also in the description for Oasis, you might mention that there are several (number dependent on size?) north flowing rivers. The south tended to have more ore's while the north had horses.

Alright, I might add this although I'd like to take a quick look at it myself in the editor as well, just to make sure you didn't get some rare thing going.

About missing resources, Donut maps might lack oil under certain conditions. I mentioned the details under that map section.

Thanks for the heads up however! :goodjob: I'll look into it as soon as I have some time. Need to finish up some studies first since I have 3 exams in the next couple of weeks among other things, and then have to reinstall Civ since I formatted my drive a while ago. :(

mmm i cant seem to open the spoiler tabs... anyone know why??

There's some technical problem with the forums atm. It says that the images on my account are unavailable. I suppose if you try again later it should be fine.

Ummm... Bad news people.

The uploads server was hacked over Saturday night IIRC, and everything was deleted.
The most recent backup came from July 07.

My best guess is they uploaded a virus in upload system, and ...
So they aren't sure if CivFanatics will keep an uploads system or not, since people could upload viruses again...

You aren't the only ones affected. I had to create a Photobucket account and re-upload everything there and re-link.

First Report:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=265792

Official Response:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=265861

Ummm... Bad news people.

The uploads server was hacked over Saturday night IIRC, and everything was deleted.
The most recent backup came from July 07.

My best guess is they uploaded a virus in upload system, and ...
So they aren't sure if CivFanatics will keep an uploads system or not, since people could upload viruses again...

You aren't the only ones affected. I had to create a Photobucket account and re-upload everything there and re-link.

First Report:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=265792

Official Response:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=265861

That's bad news indeed. It always amazes me what lengths some people will go to only to destroy for others.

fantastic thanks :goodjob:

I assume all the maps shown are standard size, I wonder if and how other sizes affect the most complex maps like Hemispheres.

I also really want to see how different sizes affect the map, especially on big and small (my new favourite).

Excellent guide!!! This really makes choosing the right map a lot more easier. :goodjob:

any chance this gets updated with the new "tectonics" map script ?

I read the posts about the hacked server several months ago....WTF!!!

As of today, some of the images opened and some did not....has this been other's experience, or are some of the images missing, or....?

I read the posts about the hacked server several months ago....WTF!!!

As of today, some of the images opened and some did not....has this been other's experience, or are some of the images missing, or....?

well, as your post is quite new and as i found out this thread today, yes you're right. but only a little amount of images (most of the last ones) are missing.

by the way, great guide indeed !

@ mortac. hey 1Q i have;
did you find out any differences about the amount of jungle within the popular (the oens you placed up) map types?
for ex; pangaea maps seem to have a boring amount of them. do i have a similar amount of jungles if i generate maps below (maps similar to pangaea)
* big & small / low sea
* fractal / low sea
* terra / low sea (old world side)

any chance this gets updated with the new "tectonics" map script ?

I've been really short on time in the last months due to studies and being abroad. I will have the guide updated sometime during the week and it will include the new map types.

well, as your post is quite new and as i found out this thread today, yes you're right. but only a little amount of images (most of the last ones) are missing.

I have checked all the images and they should all load properly. The most likely reason you are having problems is because it takes a while for all of the images to load, especially if you're not on a fast connection, so if you try to open one of the spoiler-tags that has an image that is yet to be loaded, it won't display. This guide is very heavy on images so there's a lot to load, so if you open the page and let it sit for a little while before actually using it, then it should work just fine. If you're still having problems, then please let me know, however there should be no problems unless they were temporary.

@ mortac. hey 1Q i have;
did you find out any differences about the amount of jungle within the popular (the oens you placed up) map types?
for ex; pangaea maps seem to have a boring amount of them. do i have a similar amount of jungles if i generate maps below (maps similar to pangaea)
* big & small / low sea
* fractal / low sea
* terra / low sea (old world side)

Jungles are normally placed in the equator line (i.e. middle) of the map regardless of which map type or sealevel that you use. This means that if you have a lot of landmass around the equator, you'll end up with a lot of jungle. Pangea maps have a large centralized continent and thus get a lot of jungle, while Big & Small might give you less jungle if the equator line consists of a lot of ocean. Chosing a tropical climate will also give you more jungle.

Top Bottom