1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Conquests

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by choxorn, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Toxicman007

Toxicman007 Custom User Title

Been a while, Chox. Starting again soon :) ?

2. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Eventually, yes.

I planned to get to it a month ago, but then stuff happened, and stuff led to things, and well, here I am, still not having started on the next Part.

Hopefully, I can start it soon.

3. Toxicman007

Sounds good mate!

4. A.Caesar

A.Caesar Warlord

good story

5. choxorn

So, soon might finally be now, as I finally don't have a million other things to do. Yep, I'm down to 999,999 now, so I can add this as my millionth thing.

I'll ask for suggestions of who I should be, but there didn't seem to be much consensus 6 months ago.

6. Toxicman007

I'm sticking with my Miyoshi suggestion. The crowded starting area makes for some tasty early wars, and the fact that it's very central means you'll possibly be fighting on two fronts later on.

7. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Oda, mate.

8. choxorn

I ended up going with the Miyoshi, and have officially started the scenario. I'll have a snazzy intro post containing all of the usual things I do on turn 0 up soon.

9. choxorn

Prologue: The Miyoshi Warriors

Daimyo Miyoshi Nagayoshi had vowed to accomplish three things: Bring the Miyoshi clan to greatness, unify Japan and end the centuries of war among the clans and the barbaric Ainu, and seek vengeance upon all who laughed at his rhyming name. Okay, it was kind of funny, maybe, but... no, no, it really wasn't funny at all.

Right now, though, all of those goals were far away from becoming realities. The Miyoshi clan consisted of him, some of his family and advisors, some Ashigaru Swordsmen, and a bunch of peasants who were trying to organize into a city. There were many other clans in similar positions he would have to defeat. And he couldn't even count all the people who had laughed at his name.

Their current location seemed like a decent place for a city, with a few resources and some hills, but it was uncertain how near fresh water was.

Though he doubted he would decide to move before building a city, Miyoshi decided to look at some more of the surrounding area anyway. The Ashigaru went into the hills to the West and saw some more hills and a bit of the coast. The Peasant Workers headed to the Wheat to the Northeast. A clearer picture, but not a complete one, so Miyoshi Nagayoshi himself ascended the Mountain to the Southeast of their position, and took in the surroundings. They were mostly more mountains and hills. Seeing no better location, the Peasant Settlers started work on building the city of Kyoto, and had finished establishing the city in the month of January, 1450.

There wasn't really much more the clan could do that month, but they could plan for the future with their funding of science and what they would research.

Miyoshi's science advisor recommended that they figure out how to write. Miyoshi considered that, but also considered other options. He ultimately decided that learning how to store food would be a better use of their resources in the short term, with the Alphabet being something that might be more useful when they were larger. So they decided to put their efforts into researching Pottery, for now.

With that done, there was nothing left for the Miyoshi to do but wait for things to happen, and hope that Daimyo Miyoshi's goals could eventually be realized.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  10. Toxicman007

Aw yiss! Good luck Chox.

11. mythmonster2

mythmonster2 BEC NOIR! RUN!

Indeed, the best of luck on this new adventure, chox.

12. choxorn

Thanks. Looking back, I notice that the two scenarios I did the best at were Mesopotamia and Mesoamerica, where everyone starts with the same exact almost nothing, so I hope that holds true for this one. :lol:

13. Toxicman007

Although I love this scenario, I've only ever managed to finish it once. It lasts for 540 turns, and I usually get to a point where there are 3-4 civs left (including me) who all have insane armies. Nobody wins a diplomatic victory because everyone hates each other, and wars take forever because of the sheer mass of units.

When I won, I was like 10 and playing on Chieftain. Somehow I got a Conquest victory.

14. choxorn

I think I just sent a bunch of Ninjas at people.

Also, it's only 450 turns.

15. Pieman

Pieman Prince

Huzzah, new story! Good luck with it.

16. Toxicman007

Have you got an update schedule, chox? Or are you just going to play when you have time?

17. choxorn

I'll play when I have time. I actually have had one more update played through for the past month, I just haven't had the time to write a story because of the amount of crap that's been piled on me this month.

18. Toxicman007

Okay mate, cool. If you need a hand with anything, give me a shout. I love this series and I don't want to see it die :D

19. Lord Bigfoot

Lord Bigfoot King

Are you ever going finish this?

20. choxorn

Yes. I'll try to get working on it again fairly soon.