The Conquests

I'm definitely following this truly epic tale, and looking forward to the final victory of the House of Orange and the beginning of the Japanese campaign soon! :goodjob:

Chapter 50: The Treasure Fleet

In the immediate aftermath of the Battle of Lisbon, most of the men and ships that had fought there stayed there. They didn't have enough Galleons to take them elsewhere, and they needed to heal and quell the remaining resistance. Most reported it was a pretty nice city, at least if you ignored all of the destruction from the decade-long battle. So the few treasures that had been carried there were, for the moment, left there.

But those were not all of the ships the Dutch owned, nor were they all of the treasures the Dutch owned. And the large treasure fleets that contained massive amounts of wealth in the things produced at the Caribbean Plantations and Mines could still bring a few things home.

One such fleet arrived in Amsterdam in 1605, with 3 Infantry-carried "Treasures" on board. It was one of the larger shipments that had arrived up to this point, but larger numbers would arrive later. Each treasure was met with great celebration, and was greatly appreciated by King William and the rest of the Dutch Government, as it brought them 200 gold and 1,000 of some intangible object called "Victory Points" that they got for doing a lot of things. It had been foretold that something would happen if they amassed 35,000, but they weren't sure what. Thanks to the combination of wars, treasure, and technological research, they had a total of 22,115 of these "VPs" at the end of 1605. Most of the total that had gotten them to 22,115 that year had come from the Treasures, but not all.

They had also gotten a few when the Privateer PS Scourge encountered a Portuguese Galleon near the Canary Islands, and decided that now looked like as good of a time as any to go sink said Galleon. Just because the war with Portugal was over didn't mean Privateers couldn't still harass them.

A bit later on in 1605, the English started noticing all of this extra wealth the Dutch were getting, and both wanted some for themselves and were kind of annoyed that the Dutch had left the war against Portugal.

They came to Amsterdam and requested some of the Dutch's Gems in return for their own survival.

William and his advisors thought about this. Their first thought was to reject it immediately, as they normally did with demands that large. However, after giving it some thought, they realized that they needed to get all of their treasures home to amass lots of gold and Victory Points, and a war with England would make that much harder, both because England has an even bigger navy than the Dutch do and because sailing from the Netherlands to anywhere or vice versa requires going through the English Channel. Plus, England was giving them lots of money right now. It would be bad to give the English Gems, but worse to not give the English Gems and watch them declare war over it.

So they gave the English what they wanted... this time. The English proved that yes, they did have a big navy by sending a large part of it to go bombard Ceuta. It wasn't accompanied by any land units, but so what?

This apparently let the rest of the world know that the Dutch were willing to entertain requests, and started asking for some, although none demanded anything like the English did. In 1606, the Mayans requested a reasonable request, a trade of maps so that both the Mayans and Dutch could get to know things. William decided "sure, why not" and was pleasantly surprised to see how much the Mayans knew, probably by trading for other people's maps.

The Spanish and Portuguese, meanwhile, wanted help in wars, against the Aztecs and Iroquois respectively. William's reply to both was "No, I don't want to get into any wars, especially not to help two countries I just fought long wars against!" along with, under his breath, "and go fornicate with yourselves"

Everyone that had fought in the Battle of Lisbon had healed from their wounds by 1607, the ships repaired, and the resistance quelled. All in all, it was a very nice couple of years, and some were sad that they had to leave so soon. But, they had to leave, for they were carrying several treasures, and those needed to get back to Amsterdam, now. The Dutch units that weren't carrying treasures headed into Africa and the Caribbean to go pick some up.

The HNMS William was sent to go watch the English continue bombarding Ceuta, just because it had nothing else to do. It reported that they kept bombarding it, and it was poorly defended, but didn't have any land units, which mean the bombardment was good for nothing aside from intimidating Portugal.

Speaking of which, Portugal finally signed peace in 1607... with the Inca. It was certainly true that the Inca could now sail the oceans and, theoretically, attack Ceuta, but come on, was Portugal really afraid that they'd have to deal with a bunch of Chasqui Scouts and Archers coming across the Oceans to hit them with sticks? Well, that would have been funny, but come on.

The Mayans, meanwhile, still used ancient Curraghs that were slow, weak, and easy prey for Dutch Privateers like the PS Albatross, which ran into one in 1608.

A bit later in the year, a bunch of other ships arrived in Amsterdam, carrying with them the largest treasure shipment ever. No less than 7 were brought to Amsterdam in 1608 by Knights and Infantry, granting 7,000 Victory Points and 1,400 pieces of gold. The citizens of Amsterdam had so much stuff they didn't know what to do with it anymore. Celebration seemed like a good way.

The celebration continued on into 1609, when 3 more treasures were brought home, bringing the Dutch Victory Point total to 32,125. And William knew there was reason to continue celebrating further. 2 more would arrive next year, and with them, some technology. It was certainly possible that they could finally reach the 35,000 VP threshold as soon as 1610, much sooner than expected.

Just as expected, the Dutch scientists put the last finishing touches on their new Milling technology in 1610, which would let the Dutch build lots of Windmills in their cities to both improve production and provide cool places for tourists to take pictures of Windmills.

But William was far more interested in the VP's, which brought the Dutch up to 32,485 with the finishing of the research. Not enough, but William could get some more by trading with England, who had had their new Scientific Methods available for trade for years. They still were unwilling to let go of Protestantism, but they would trade Scientific Method... and much more... for Milling.

Even so, this still only brought the Netherlands to 32,785, which became 34,785 when two more treasures were brought to Amsterdam that year.

They were so close, but they weren't there yet. They could perhaps get there now by fighting a quick war- but that seemed pointless. It would be easier to just wait for more treasure to arrive.

And thanks to some fast ships and clever use of the way they moved, two more treasures arrived in Amsterdam in 1611. One was added, the Dutch VP's went above 35,000, and massive celebration was at hand. They didn't even really notice when the second one was added just because.

All throughout the next year, the Netherlands was in celebration. They had won. They had done it. The many agencies in the Dutch Government attempted to figure out what having all this treasure and VP meant, in the meantime. Finally, in 1612, after many attempts, they figured out that all of the Victory Points, when combined in the right way as according to the prophecy (or something stupid like that, nobody really knew what was going on), it displayed the following message, which for some reason appeared in the sky all around the world:

Similar messages had supposedly appeared for others at points in the past, but whatever? This was awesome.

Last edited:
The usual postgame stuff:

Spoiler :

The replay, and the final map. England's North American colonies are scattered everywhere.

Some things that are interesting: The AI, between all of them, returned about 5 treasures the entire game. To be fair, I controlled most of the parts with the treasure resources, but come on, the AI was barely even trying! :lol:

Right at the beginning of the French-Spanish War, they both got Golden Ages, and France got the only MGL anyone got in the entire game. The Iroquois and English got theirs a little bit later, probably when they were going after Spain's North American cities, or the Aztecs, or in England's case, some ships somewhere. The Inca got one during the war against Portugal. The Aztecs and Mayans never got GA's, which is a bit surprising, considering all the wars the Aztecs were in.

Aside from that, the Replay didn't show me many useful things that I didn't already know.

The Victory Status Screen. Apparently England passed France for 2nd place in the last few turns. Also, the Aztecs got a lot of culture in Tenochtitlan- which again makes me wonder how they managed to never win a battle with Jaguar Warriors.

The Histographs:

Victory Points. Nothing surprising here.

Power. Spain and the Mayans declined slowly, while Portugal was good for a while and then fell apart. At the end, it was all me, England, and France. Go Northern Europe!

Culture. For a Mesoamerica civ, the Inca did surprisingly poorly; for a European one, Portugal did surprisingly well.

Amsterdam even beat Cuzco in culture! :lol:

My empire leads in pretty much everything, except, to no surprise, military service, where I'm last. I'm also doing poorly in disease, probably due to the jungle in Africa.

I'm okay in Literacy- apparently a rate of 16% is average in the 1600's. And a Life expectancy of 46 years is better than average. And 1 child/family is the best, which means either I'm tied with everyone else or the citizens of some civilizations aren't reproducing.

Lastly, the highscores, since some people like to laugh at these:

So, now that's done. Like I said earlier, it might be a while before I can start the Japan scenario, so don't be mad at me if it isn't up next week or anything.

In the meantime, go ahead and talk about stuff, congratulate me on being awesome, and tell me what you want me to do and what civ I should play when I head off to Medieval Japan.

They're all exactly the same, they just start in different places.

Good grief, 27 hours... what's your average? I rarely play past 6 or 7...
Anyway congrats and all, t'was well played. With regard to Japan, play as the... Date or the (light-blue clan, can't remember the name). They have the best colours :p

I think some of it was that I take a lot of pictures, but some was just that I take a long time to do some stuff.

Nicely done Chox. I still vote for the Miyoshi, by the way. I also vote for a Conquest victory, because it's only fair that you destroy all your puny enemies.

Why go for Conquest when I can go for Domination? ;)

Anyway, I think I'll just play it out and see what I can easily win by. In most of the scenarios, there was only one real VC to go for, but this one has 3.

I won it Diplomatically first time I played it, but Conquest would be fun too. I suggest the Mori. I like them a lot.

Oh, and congratulations on rocking that entire game!

Hey, one scenario at a time. :lol:

I'm gonna come out of lurking and say something for once. I like playing as the Uesugi just because they have all the luxuries nearby (I think a lot of civs are like this though) and once you take out the nearby enemies you can just fight downwards. I don't really care much about who you pick though.

Well, I can't give an exact date, so I'll just say soonish. I've spent the past month being busy with college stuff and adjusting to said stuff.

Don't worry, I'll get to this eventually, and probably fairly soon.

Hi, everybody!

So, once again, sorry it's been two months since the last one ended and I haven't bothered starting the Sengoku scenario right now. I'm dealing with finals in a couple of weeks, so I don't think I'll have time in the immediate future, but I can probably get started on it after them during my winter break, which should be mid-December. No promises on the exact date I'll start, but I will start it at some point around that time.

Totally understandable, chox. Finals are annoying as hell. Here's hoping this continues!

Top Bottom