The cossacks conversion collection

grenedeir came before riflemen by far, they were an elite unit know for their bravery and hieght (in the prussian army you had to be over 6ft tall). They came about with the 18th century musketer or fusilier. im sure others can expand on my explination

Originally posted by Knight_Bond007
anothere question : difference between riflemen and grenadier?
wich come first? can grenadiers be used instead of riflemen? are they different?

and pikes come after pikeman, right?

Grenadiers came about the same time as fusiliers. "Officially" they would use hand grenades that would make them shock troops but actually they rarely used them in battle.
They became a special part of the army not because of their weapons but because of would-be skills they were supposed to have as shock troops : meaning they were representing the elite for instance in size. The same way they would make the bulk of foot guards of most countries. It is a way of evloving from a real military difference (grenade) to a prestige thing (well, don't misunderstand me, this prestige was not given to anybody : ex the Napoleon guard grenadiers needed 5 years in the army, at least two campaigns, moral (courage,...) and military qualities and a minimum size).

Riflemen followed them and the fusiliers alike.

Originally posted by Knight_Bond007
anothere question : difference between riflemen and grenadier?
wich come first? can grenadiers be used instead of riflemen? are they different?

and pikes come after pikeman, right?

Well, it's not very easy to answer, as the name 'Fusillier", "Musketeer", or "Rifleman" may be similar.

In terms of CivIII, I use the following historical path and definition.
First comes the Harquebusier : heavy cumbersome low rate weapons. Then the musket (cossacks 17c unit): matchlock to increase the rate of fire, lighter weapon, but not efficient at close combat. Next, with the bayonet, the musketer (cossack 18c musketer), the pikes disapperar. Then, the fusillier (= Napoleonic infantry), then the rifleman (civIII unit, circa 1850). The rifleman is the first one to have a breachloading rifle, all the previous unit have muzzle loading weapons.
The first grenadier appeared circa 1670. They were selected among the tallest and bravest soliders, and formed an elite infantry. In fact, the grenade was not used very long, but the grenadiers kept the name, and a small funny device on their uniform. But this is another story...

often they had a badge of a bursting grenade decorating the Trunback on their coat

that is aslo why the wore the tall miter hat. so they could sling their musket over their shoulders to throw(ever try slinging something over a Three cornered hat?) and oddly enought the southern catholic nations wore a fur cap, while the northern protstant nations wore the cloth nightcap style hat. in fact in one battle between austria and prussia it very dark and foggy so the soldiers had to feel eachothers hats to see wich side they were on :lol:

so, civ3 speaking : grenadiers should be before or after fusiliers? but defitnely before rifleman? because on civ is almost useless to have 2 units so similar on the same time(fusilier and grenadier.)

sorry if i annoy asking this much, but i have still lot of things to do and i wanna make them as accurate as possible....and my weapon knowledge before ww1 is not pretty wide......:confused:

I make grenadier available at the same time as musketeer, with better stats but a lot more expensive.
Then guard (upgrade of grenadier) available at the same time as fusillier (upgrade of musketeer), then rifleman is an upgrade of guard.

ok..i think im gettin it...but i'll make grenadiers appear along with fusiliers..since that way they will be around napoleonic-era....but also with better stats and far more expensives......

gotta search now for those extra units(guard)....where can i find it, since search option hasnt been working(at least for me) lately?

In the British army, Grenadiers were elite units comprised of men 6' or taller and armed, in addition to their muskets, with primitive, fuse-lit grenades (i.e., like any other grenade, it's effective range was rather shorter than that of the firearm it supplemented).

Given that -- at least in the British case -- they were elite units, specially trained with a unique weapon (the grenade) I'd probably give them a higher attack value, more hit points and a higher cost than regular musketeers.

Also, because -- as I mentioned -- the grenade's range is shorter than the musket's, I certainly wouldn't bother (as I think I saw suggested somewhere) with a bombard strength etc.

-Oz

Originally posted by Johann MacLeod
often they had a badge of a bursting grenade decorating the Trunback on their coat

that is aslo why the wore the tall miter hat. so they could sling their musket over their shoulders to throw(ever try slinging something over a Three cornered hat?) and oddly enought the southern catholic nations wore a fur cap, while the northern protstant nations wore the cloth nightcap style hat. in fact in one battle between austria and prussia it very dark and foggy so the soldiers had to feel eachothers hats to see wich side they were on :lol:

Lol. that last fact is very interesting. Can you provide me with more information or possibly a link as to the details of this or what battle this was. I never heard of this.

Progress is stopped until I reach the second era for my mod. I plan to release a beta version including the first era only this week endm and should start working again on Cossacks the week after.

It was to hard to work on everything at once!

People this thread is unbelievable.. I thought it was too good to be true.. But this ROCKS!

Please MORE muslim units to fill in the gaps??

Please please?

There are so many western units here, but we defintely need more muslim units to fill in the gaps, so that every civ can have its own line of development.

Thanks!

Well Steph, nonetheless I am thanking you for this great effort :)

But if I may comment... I have the COssacks game myself.. There are lots of Ottoman and Algerian units to convert.

If you can show me a txt file on how to convert units, I will do it myself if you don't want to convert muslim units from the cossacks game for us.

Greetings!

Top Bottom