The Cult of the Firevulture

Diamondeye

So Happy I Could Die
OOC: Please, before interacting in this thread, think your post through. I would like you not just to bust in and do a "Then my character steps out of the darkness and cuts them all down"-reply. Before replying, I would like you to PM me and see if I can blend your character into the story.

The Cult of the Firevulture, Part I

Yao stepped out of the small wooden shack. His clothes were normal, but dyed black to avoid the gazes of strangers. He heard the two others behind him. They headed down the main street of Babylon. Yao was carrying the equipment in a small bag, the two others carried nothing but knives in their belts. They walked to the destination where The Prophet had told them to wait, and started whispering with each other.
"Are you sure about this Yao?"
"Sch! Don't use my name! Yes, I trust The Prophet and the gods. We wait here."
The others mumbles complaints but stayed.

After what felt like atleast an hour, a guard came towards them. The others signaled Yao that they would very much like to get away, but he smiply ignored them and thus they stayed. The guard came closer and asked them:
"What are you doing outside this late, citizens?"
Yao replied: "Looking for vultures in the sky, sir."
The guard nodded and answered: "Follow me, brothers. I know where the vultures will feed tonight."

They moved quickly through the streets until they reached a small cabin. The lights inside were still burning. "The target is in there with his mistress. He is a local trader and will be returning home soon."

They waited in silence, only the torch from the guard revealed them. After some minutes, a small man sneaked out of the door and began walking down the street towards them. The guard stepped foward and yelled with authority:"Halt, citizen!"

The man blushed and his gaze swirled around the street, but he stopped and looked at the guard at last. "Yes, officer?" He replied.
"Your wife has been the victim of a terrible accident. I need you to follow."
The man looked shocked, but followed. He tried to ask the guard what the issue was, but only got a "You'll find out when we get there" for reply.

Yao and the two others followed them to the outskirts of town in silence. They stopped at the city wall, where a small pile of firewood lay arranged against the wall.

The man looked questioningly at the guard. "What is the issue officer? What happened to my wife?" The guard quickly jabbed his hand inside the mans shirt and pulled forth a necklace carrying a small Tao symbol. "She is about to become a widow." He then struck the man straight in the face, resulting in him collapsing on the ground. He turned around to Yao and the others.
"You know what to do."He handed them the torch and ran back to his guard duty.

Yao and one of the others lifted the man onto the pile of firewood and tied him to a cropping on the wall with the ropes rom his backpack. They then emptied the amphoras of incense and oils on the man and the wood before stepping down from the small pyre. One of the others handed Yao the torch.
"Are you sure about this, Yao?"
"Ocourse. It is the will of the Fire Vulture. He does not accept heathens." With those words, he threw the torch onto the pyre, which caught fire immidiately. They stood and stared at the pyre for some seconds beore making a run for it.

The Prophet looked at the men before him. All orthodox, pure of faith. Eight of his best warriors and activists. A few of them had gotten hold of rifles or muskets, but all of them still carried their katanas.

Yao caught his gaze. This young man had shown a strong belief and trust in the gods during the executions they had performed until then. He would be perfect for the next assignment. But he needed a partner.

"Ishida, take Yao with you and go to the northern part of town tonight. Use the rooftop we talked about earlier. I want you to kill the Tao named Raku. He is a guard and is relieved of his duties one hour after sundown every day. Kill him, but most important, make sure everyone knows he died because of his heathen origin. I trust you two to do the job without any accidents on the way."

Yao and Ishida bowed and backed out of the room. Yao heard the prophets voice as he followed Ishida, the rifleman, through the narrow corridor.
"I've gained information on a local Tao praying location, hidden from public..."

Yao and Ishida exited out into the streets.

Yao and Ishida sifted through the streets back towards the hideout. The execution had been flawless. The body of Raku was hanging from the city wall, bullet in the breast and his body was decorated in Hindu symbols painted in his own blood.

They entered the Hideout of the Prophet. He was alone, staring out a small cellar window. He still had his black hood thrown over his head, hiding his face. He turned around and faced Yao and Ishida. They bowed and Ishida spoke:
"The mission was a resounding success, my Lord. Raku is dead and covered in the language of the gods, written in his own blood. He will not avoid some attention before the guards get the corpse down."
The Prophet nodded.
"A job well done. I have something to show you - both of you. And a favour to ask of you."
The two acolytes remained kneeling as the Prophet faced them and pulled off his hood so his face was revealed. Yao looked at the man he had come to love as father and a god. The young face looked a bit like that of The Enlightened, leader of the Orthodox Hinduists, but wore signs of both greater pain, endurance, and authority. Although the Prophet was almost a child, his face was that of a man. He was balded and his left eye was blind and deprived of all color.
As if interfering with Yaos thoughts, the Prophet spoke.
"It is through that eye that I see the Gods. And I see them speaking to me. I have a mission to fulfill."
Yao nodded, respectfully.
"But in case some of the more... Earthborne authorities deprives me of my life before that mission is fulfilled, I want you two to take over the Cult. On the table behind me is an envelope for each of you. I want you to open it if you are sure that I am dead. When you see my dead body with your own eyes. Not before. And don't let anyone else get their hands on it. What is in it is for your eyes only."

Yao and Ishida could not grasp what mercy had just been bestowed on them. They bowed in silence and left the Prophet to his thoughts.

The Prophet looked at Yao and Ishida. They both kneeled before him. He took a deep breath before speaking:
"I need to leave the Aretanian continent for a while. I may not return. I need someone to run the cult while I am away. I have decided that it be one of you two."
The men looked at The Prophet. Since their last visit he had grown about an inch height, but was getting even thinner and he looked feeble. His skin around the blind eye was red and rough. He looked at them before finding two katanas from the stand behind him. He threw one to each of them. "The survivor will succeed me. Prove your dedication to the cause."

Yao caught the Katana and raised it, ready to block any attack from Ishida. The man was larger and stronger than him, but slower and, perhaps, less likely to actually attack. They had known each other for quite a while. He looked into the eyes of Ishida and saw doubt.

Yao lowered his katana half an inch. He saw the resignation in Ishidas face as he, too, lowered his sword. Yao enjoyed the second of shock in the eyes of the old man as Yaos attack caught him completely by surprise. His throat was cut clean and Ishida managed only a feeble attempt to raise his sword before hitting the floor, dead.

"Very well. So be it. Yao Hiroto, you are now officially my successor. I wish you luck and may the gods be with you. You may open the envelope I left for you earlier."
The Prophet took the sword from Yaos slain foe and exited the room.

Some time had passed since the Prophet had left the cult, and Yao had led the Cult with firm hand. He was beginning to feel comfortable with the power that came with his position. What he did not know was that The Prophet had, for reasons yet unkown, informed the state of the adresses of all the Cult hideouts as well as Yaos name. So he was ofcourse surprised when the door was kicked in.

The guard captain, a young aspiring man by the name of Tamura, entered first, flanked by several of his riflemen companions.
"Well, what have we here? The legendary Prophet - or should I call you Yao?"
Yao was shocked and reached for his sword - the one that he had killed Ishida with. Before he could lift it, he was however penetrated by several bullets. He was dead before the sound of him hitting the floor reached Tamura.
"Search the building, men. Any evidence will be needed. This katana, per example, would do fine."
Tamura picked up the katana. He smiled at the succesful entry. He knew his collegues in Babylon and Arete was doing the exact same at the moment. With their superior knowledge of the enemy they had crushed the cult in one massive downbringing. The adresses would be guarded, so what cultists remained would know that they had been defeated.

Meanwhile, the Prophet was sitting in a small rocking boat, heading away from the aretanian continent. He smiled despite the vague seasickness he felt as he lay in the bottom of the boat. He looked into the sky, and right now he felt as if he could see the gods. For the first time in his life he did not have responsability for anyone but himself. And soon he would reach land and begin his search for the gods, in the land of the Mayans.

Top Bottom