Republican Bidens and the Failure of the Democratic Party

And if US pilots working on standard maintenance schedules prove unable to prevent hitting more bridge pylons in the future, I’m sure you’ll find excuses for that too.

Really speaks to the poverty of general understanding and sense that people don’t get why the Baltimore bridge collapse is in fact a maintenance disaster.
Not jumping blindly into your BS false equivalency speaks actually positively about general understanding. Baltimore was a maintenance disaster about lack of protective measure of the pillars (which had only a bunch of rotten wooden beams to deflect incoming ships), which is pretty different from building bridges that collapse on their own.

You want to make a less idiotic comparison, use rather the Genoa bridge collapse.

Really speaks to the poverty of general understanding and sense that people don’t get why the Baltimore bridge collapse is in fact a maintenance disaster.
I think we will find that it is a ship maintenance issue not a bridge maintenance issue. Who owns the ship? Who is responsible for keeping it "ship shape"?

The pendulum swings. There's been incredible liberalization all over the board in many ways. The war on marijuana is not over, but it's winding down. Cashless bail gets used, that's a new thing and it seems to be getting at least some pushback. There was federal prison reform, it goes on and on. But the end of judicial fiat of what is protected human life and the reintroduction of the issue into legislative discourse, after 50 years of medical advancement no less, does seem to have the fire and brimstone frothing in the discourse.
Indeed. Three steps forward, two steps back. The reason I'm not building the proverbial bunker in the back yard yet is because I think we still have some ability to prevent total catastrophe. The extremists and authoritarians have made some terrible gains, but we haven't seen the unraveling of all the progress made in the last 60 years. Not by a longshot. Not yet, anyway. If people don't pay attention, they could do more damage. So while alarmism is bad, but I think a certain amount of alarm is warranted, and maybe even helpful.

For what it's worth, it seems to me that we're paying less attention than we should to the ship side of the incident. I don't doubt there is a backstory similar to the East Palestine "let's put one engineer on each train and make them work 18 hour shifts, what could go wrong?" backstory.
I think the answer is probably in the maintenance history of the vessel and engine in themselves, and the truth such as it may be behind the ship’s “clean bill of health.” Power failures aren’t super uncommon but for it to choke the entire engine like that too kind of suggests to me that the fuel pumps weren’t able to pump. So why is that? Probably cutting corners.
Baltimore was a maintenance disaster about lack of protective measure of the pillars (which had only a bunch of rotten wooden beams to deflect incoming ships),
So you admit it isn’t different at all. If I build the best bridge in the world designed for use at the giant turtle river crossing and the giant turtle hits the bridge and knocks it down, I failed to make an adequate bridge and the penalty for my failure is I don’t have a bridge, and everyone who wants to blame me for my negligence can just point to the fact I didn’t make it giant turtle proof. It’s literally no different to making a bridge handle a certain amount of weight or a certain volume of traffic. You make it adequate to the tasks that’ll challenge it. In Russia’s case it was handling road traffic (which is more than “falling down on its own” but I think you might not grasp that?) In America’s case it’s checking that fuel pumps aren’t filled with gunk during the inspections but that might cut into the shift supervisor’s nineteenth coffee break so I don’t blame you for being OK with allowing ships to hit bridges, but I do blame you for not understanding why it’s bad for bridges.
I think we will find that it is a ship maintenance issue not a bridge maintenance issue. Who owns the ship? Who is responsible for keeping it "ship shape"?
I mean, yeah, and I think it’s a pretty silly hair to split in the context of “which formerly great power’s infrastructure is crumbling?” Either way the answer is “both” and the reason is “much leaner maintenance schedules.”

And the war on marijuana may be “over” but the war on people’s health is not and the war to keep modern day slavery certainly is not.

50 years of medical advancement making possible a historically unprecedented regime of surveillance and policing of women, yes.
The surveliance is across the board. Everything. Everyone.

I've never seen children so neurotic and well behaved. Let's hope it doesn't break them too badly on the rocks.

Indeed. Three steps forward, two steps back. The reason I'm not building the proverbial bunker in the back yard yet is because I think we still have some ability to prevent total catastrophe. The extremists and authoritarians have made some terrible gains, but we haven't seen the unraveling of all the progress made in the last 60 years. Not by a longshot. Not yet, anyway. If people don't pay attention, they could do more damage. So while alarmism is bad, but I think a certain amount of alarm is warranted, and maybe even helpful.
The bigger worry is how long the current "zeitgeist" will last, and whether it continues through the next generation, or longer. It came to the fore for me again was because of some parts of an article in Politico today, e.g.
State and local governments across the country are scrambling to find new strategies to slow an epidemic of kids’ mental illness that exploded during the pandemic.
But there’s a problem: No one knows what’s causing the spike. Even after the isolation and fear Covid wrought dissipated, levels of anxiety and depression remain sky high.

I don't pretend to understand the major causes for the above, (it seems to be due to a myriad of different reasons, and possibly different reasons in different parts of the US), or even if they are legitimate concerns.

But the social unrest during the latter part of the Vietnam War dissipated fairly quickly. From my remote outpost on the other side of the world, the US state of affairs doesn't look like it will fade as quickly. As you said, some level of alarm is warranted. I wouldn't let your guard down for quite a while. Good luck!

The surveliance is across the board. Everything. Everyone.

I've never seen children so neurotic and well behaved. Let's hope it doesn't break them too badly on the rocks.
They are neurotic. They're not well behaved, so much as emotionally repressed. At the same time, they're spoiled and entitled, just like every generation supposedly is compared to the generation before it. But some differences is how addicted they are to screens, and how medicated they are. Another difference is that the lack of patience, constant surveillance and hair trigger consequences that comes with a lack of patience have conspired to supplant parenting. Parents have their hands tied, teachers have their hands tied and the kids are being left to screens and meds.

On a related note, I read an article the other day about a girl who stabbed her parent because they confiscated her cellphone. There was a prior incident of a boy shooting his parent for the same reason. The article about the girl in Pennsylvania had a telling line, which gives some insight into the atmosphere of the home.
Investigators said they found padlocks on the kitchen cabinets and drawers in the home, the outlet reported.
That suggests the dynamic between the girl and her mother was already fraught and spiraling out of control. Obviously we can't know all the details, mental states, etc., but there was something troubling going on there.

Meanwhile, the teachers are getting pressure not to educate the kids on politics and current events. We used to learn about politics, elections, etc., in school, but that is being discouraged by administration because of parents' complaints about "indoctrination." I forget who it was (@Lexicus ?) that mentioned a little while back (maybe in this thread?) that part of what the Democrats are screwing up, is being too focused on the POTUS election to the exclusion of the smaller, local issues. Fighting to make kids politically aware and literate from early on is one of those small issues that does not get enough advocacy and instead gets condemned, wrongly.

Last edited:
You're welcome. You substantiated my claim almost immediately by slogging back through your whole exchange with Gorbles, identifying the post that started the weird fruitless back and forth, admitting to and apologizing for a phrasing that could have elicited it.

On the whole, most posters here are fairly responsible. It's a tightly moderated site, so only that sort can survive / bother sticking with the place.

But you read posts carefully, don't read into them, ask clarifying questions if it seems like a person might be saying something extreme before assuming they are, and never simply duck out of a conversation.

So you get my gold medal on that front: :trophy::hatsoff:

Also, best use of smileys: :trophy::hatsoff:

Fighting to make kids politically aware and literate from early on is one of those small issues that does not get enough advocacy and instead gets condemned, wrongly.
If we don't educate and laud The Accord in the schools of The Accord, it will break down. Like any relationship that doesn't invest in the relationship. A crisis of maintenence, it was said? But time and effort are not infinite. We really can't fix everything at once. What has taken the place of "middle school American social studies?" If you're saying that doesn't seem to happen so much?

If we don't educate and laud The Accord in the schools of The Accord, it will break down. Like any relationship that doesn't invest in the relationship. A crisis of maintenence, it was said? But time and effort are not infinite. We really can't fix everything at once. What has taken the place of "middle school American social studies?" If you're saying that doesn't seem to happen so much?
Geography it seems. What I remember from my school days was that "Social Studies" changed from year to year depending on your age. It would be called "Social Studies" some years, "Civics", "History", "US History", "World History", "Humanities", but it was understood that "History" and "Social Studies" were the interchangeable generic names for anything in that category, then included in that class would be geography, current events, politics, ancient history, archaeology and so on. We would always discuss politics and current events in Social Studies including any Presidential elections going on. We would even hold mock elections in class. I remember being a little surprised at how badly Mondale lost, because he won the mock election in my classroom. :lol:

Now as I understand it, teachers get a lot of flack if they discuss anything related to the news, current events or anything that a parent might complain is "political". Even if such topics are not banned outright, they are still discouraged and you have to be a little bit of a renegade as a teacher to teach students about them in spite of the pressure not to.

Teachers have their own political opinions and it is quite difficult for them not to let those influence their teaching.

Teachers have their own political opinions and it is quite difficult for them not to let those influence their teaching.
Civil servants have their own political opinions and it's quite difficult to not let those influence their jobs.

Right?

No offense, but how do you feel about the idea that these feelings and this realization is only happening to you because you used to be a well-coddled member of an imperial army that considered itself the most moral in the world, and now you’re still that middle class soldaten but you’ve started feeling a little nervous about the “victory to Christ’s armies and may nuclear light overtake the enemies of heterosexuality and manhood” rhetoric which comprises 90% of the political awareness in the voting population.

No offense taken, despite what seems like a complete lack of effort to avoid offense, the first two words notwithstanding.
That idea is kinda dumb. I'd be reasonably okay with the likes of Romney or McCain or Kasich or even lord help me Jeb Bush. My concern is explicitly about Trump's erosion of democracy. The fact that he happens to be scapegoating transgender folk, and that I'm transgender folk, is why plan D involves leaving. If I wasn't trans, my plan would more likely be embracing more of Comrade Ceasefire's post (yes I'm already plenty well armed for self-defense, but not for civil defense yet). But a Jewish person in Nazi Germany didn't have any chance of doing much of anything proactive, and I don't think I will if things go that way here, either.

Yeah, he's a moron. But the people that doomsday that hardest on him do misread and misquote his speeches, frequently enough, as if he wasn't full of it enough to begin with, and then usually go on to gush about record polarization on the other side. As if we didn't have students and cops fighting with sticks in the street in my dad's time. I guess that may show a type of uninformed polarization?

If you're saying I'm misreading him and misquoting him to come to my conclusion, say so. But I don't much care about the polarization, really. As you and others say, that's been around before. But we've never (in my memory at least) ever been worried about the loser of an election not only not conceding it but doing illegal things to claim victory in it anyway. Sure, Bush-Gore but that was one state, in an incredibly narrow margin. Now there's a Trump-inspired push to get election deniers at all levels of state election controls. This is different.

No offense taken, despite what seems like a complete lack of effort to avoid offense, the first two words notwithstanding.
That idea is kinda dumb. I'd be reasonably okay with the likes of Romney or McCain or Kasich or even lord help me Jeb Bush. My concern is explicitly about Trump's erosion of democracy. The fact that he happens to be scapegoating transgender folk, and that I'm transgender folk, is why plan D involves leaving. If I wasn't trans, my plan would more likely be embracing more of Comrade Ceasefire's post (yes I'm already plenty well armed for self-defense, but not for civil defense yet). But a Jewish person in Nazi Germany didn't have any chance of doing much of anything proactive, and I don't think I will if things go that way here, either.
Oh so you don’t actually have a problem with the genocides but it’s the “rights” you think will get taken away from you under Trump where you draw the line. Well. To the victor shall go the spoils eh?

I also find it interesting you talk about Jews in nazi germany to like hypothetically put your self in their shoes, even though that was the same Holocaust that annihilated millions of German queers and their allies. Like you could have said “a queer person in nazi germany” and it would have meant like… exactly the same thing.

I actually specifically pointed how it is. Not that I expected any sort of honest reading from your part, but whatever.
Yeah, I think you critically misunderstood your own post. Which is only a little embarrassing really.

Top Bottom