1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Deity Challenge Line-up #29 - Dido's swimming pool

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Acken, May 10, 2015.

1. beetle

beetle Deity

So much faster than me, so I have no business criticizing, but is that Japan or was it Arabia that all but owns Carthage?

Sure, I am looking for tips! MotG let me start earlier than I would usually, and I was running in-bound food cargo ships for the most of the game, so it must be something else I am doing wrong.

2. consentient

consentient Domination!

What is MotG ?

3. Olodune

Olodune Emperor GOTM Staff

Messenger of the Gods pantheon. +2 beakers per city connected to the trade network. Is the capital included? I can't remember. It is nice with Carthage on watery maps because of those free harbors (activated with the wheel).

4. consentient

consentient Domination!

2 beakers seems like not a lot. It would work if you ICS-ed but that seems unlikely on Deity and on a water map, no?

5. Acken

Acken Deity

It's pretty substantial for the first 100turns especially with a wider game. Can easily get 10% more bpt before universities. I tend to preffer the other pantheons though either to found or get more culture/food.

But since the problem is usually to get the connections fast enough (which rarely happen before T60) it's mostly a Dido pantheon.

6. beetle

beetle Deity

It is 2 beakers per expo, so 8 bpt in my game. But only with city connections, normally roads. Roads come too late, but Carthage has the free harbors. Carthage is probably the only civ that can use MotG to any effect.

7. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

It was a Turkish city that I paid Japan to attack and take over. Since we all went Freedom that game and Japan the only Autocracy, he was hated by all, and hated all. He also bombed a total of 4 generals but it all happened in the last 10 or so turns, it didn't matter

8. beetle

beetle Deity

Sure it matters. Your cap is wrecked, hardly feels like a win. That is probably just me.

9. stormtrooper412

I suppose you do have a point, what was I supposed to do, nuke him back to the stone age?

*has nukes anyway*

Holy advanced ballistics, I definitely should have nuked him back to the stone age!

10. consentient

consentient Domination!

I think it's really annoying when they citadel bomb you without a DoW. It feels like an exploit. Especially when they don't acquire new lux or strategics, just a few more hexes. Honestly, I think that it could actually be that their algorithm tells them that if they have a hostile neighbour and they have GGs laying around, they MUST use them, or something.

Whenever I've gone OCC and had a neighbour, they have GG'd me, except this time, because I kept him at war and reduced him to nothing.

11. stormtrooper412

Well in that particular occasion, he did steal my oil and my marble and in different circumstances, I might have done something about it but the vote was just around the corner anyway

12. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

Turn 329 lost - was aiming for a SV was 6 turns away. Honestly I deserved to lose I played a shoddy game. Too much focus on trying to get some early wonders which just delayed me from getting more important later era wonders.

Spoiler :
    I got bogged down in an early war with the Ottomons after I stole a worker. Then I settled on the faith mountain so they kept the war up until about turn 150 so I had no early trade partner. So in this case a worker steal was as very bad choice.
    Japan attacked me in the industrial era and took my 2nd largest city when my navy was dealing with the Ottomans in the Western coast, That was a real sore blow. I took it back but with 1/4 of the citizens left, they stole all my art works in the museum I had waiting to go to the hermitage and I lost a great scientist that was almost ready. Japan had really severe unhappiness from ideological pressure so that saved me I was soon able to beat them back as they had a minus 30% combat penalty but the damage was done.
    I also had to quickly change ideologies so that was a major setback as it resetted my culture. To make matters worse I put 2 policies into Exploration for maritime infrastructure that meant I was unable to get to SpaceShip Procurements in time. That in turn delayed me from getting the much needed Universal Suffrage so I made the choice to put a 3rd policy into exploration for the happiness from lighthouses, harbors etc. That compounded the mistake and I didn't have enough culture left to really use my ideology.
    So yeah on the whole sloppy gameplay. Tried to get some early wonders that delayed other more important things, I left my Eastern flank exposed to the Japanese, bad policy choices.

13. beetle

beetle Deity

So you had an AI winning that fast? Crazy! Did they win by SV, and who was it?

14. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

Gaah! Thanks for catching me out on that one. Simple Typo I'll fix that up. Should be 329 turns. Anyway at least thats proof that people read my posts:)

And I should also add one smart move I made when I saw my dearly beloved autocratic neighbour to my East moving a massive fleet off my coast was to borrow 2000 gold from the AI and rush buy a Nuclear Missile. That move saved me from a very premature demise. Nuke's really are the best deterent to war.

15. stormtrooper412

yeah, that was a lot of stuff to happen in just 229 turns. At first I thought it would be 299

16. consentient

consentient Domination!

I've seen Sejong win that early on a few occasions. Full Tradition, Patronage 2/3 and Full Rationalism and salt etc means Sejong can completely snowball. In one memorable H-C-A game I was trying to get to him, and on T140 was getting ready to spam cannons and he hit ideologies and opened Freedom. By the time my canons got to his door he had infantry. I cried.

17. stormtrooper412

Has anyone ever tried to IGE himself the Deity AI starting condition and see how it plays out

18. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

What is that exactly? On my next game I'll try it out in the ahem name of research.

19. stormtrooper412

20. beetle

beetle Deity

Phew! But did you loose to an SV or CV?

Did you get to use the nuke, or was just buying it enough?