The Devil is Six

Raze the city. I don't really see any more viable spots nearby and since we can build more settlers, we might as well just resettle on the correct spot.

City specialization: Commerce in cap and Iron city, the rest can focus on production.

Shyuhe made a good point: please sell Meditation to Nappy and always check for some spare gold as we'll need lots.

I wouldn't mind keeping the city. It's not that bad and a city is a city after all. :)

Unfortunately can't say much more without seeing the save.

Just realised that we will get Gold after a border pop in Jute. (we would need 2nd border pop in the other city) Not sure what I was thinking :D Nevermind, keep the city.

PPP
Cities:
New York: Build worker before the granary
New Jersey: Finish chariot, build warriors
St Pete: Library > Market
Carthage: Walls > Barracks
Iron City: Monument

Workers:
Chop + mine forested hill at New Jersey
Farm rice near Utica
Cut forest and farm near St Pete; proceed to cut jungle (do we really want this as a production site? it has the hills, but we're going to need commerce more then production IMHO).
Get workers to Iron City for a quick chop into the monument.

Tech:
CoL > (trade for Math, unless it requires breaking our currency monopoly) > Philo/CS
Do we want the first GS for a Philo bulb or a academy in our Cap?

Misc:
Sell Med to Nappy
Do we want OB with the other AI's?
Do we want to join the war if the AI comes knocking (I'd say no)?

I'll play tonight, time permitting.

Academy in our cap can't be bad. ;)

And I suppose we're not in any position for wars when asked yet.

Played a short set, until CoL was in

Turn 0:
Dial up Nappy to sell Med for cash
Spoiler :

Turn 1:
Out of anarchy, check all cities
Set New York to Worker instead of Granary, this is the last we can build and I want him running around asap.
New Jersey is fine as is, after the current chariot it will put out some warriors to get our six up.
St Pete: won't be doing much for the next 9t, except for popup a scientist.
Carthage: Walls will be done next turn, needs some worker love before being able to contribute much, but all of our cities have a lot of to be improved tiles.
Set research to CoL, Maths is hopefully up for trade soon enough.

Turn 2:
Nappy ask to cancel deals with the Dutch, no thanks.
Spoiler :

New Jersey: Chariot > Warrior
Carthage: Walls > Barracks

Turn 3:
New Jersey: Warrior > Warrior

Turn 4:
IBT a barb archers thinks it's a good idea to attack our chariot across a river. It isn't (for the archer that is).
OB with Justy and Nappy
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

St Pete: Granary > Market
Iron City founded, starts a monument; worker are on the way for a chop.
Scenic view of the barb cities
Spoiler :

Turn 5:
Nappy and Willem make peace.

Turn 6:
The barb cities are mirroring each other: 3 archers + 1 worker, except the northern one has a CG1 archer

Turn 7:
New Jersey: Warrior > Warrior (this is the last warrior we're allowed to build).
CoL in, set tech to Philo

Stop here as I'm unsure about whether we want Math/CS first, or rather Philo, and because the following offer is on the table:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• The Devil is Six BC-0300.CivBeyondSwordSave
    153.2 KB · Views: 68
I wouldn't do it either, even less in this game as we need the gold for upgrades, but I thought I'd post it as Willem offered it the turn I'd stop anyway, as I was unsure whether we wanted to go for Philo or CS next. I'd take Philo, as the religion hasn't fallen yet and CS is being researched by the AI at this point (Sally is teching it IIRC).

Philo sounds like a plan while we wait for a better deal for maths. :)

Looking forward to giving this a good look when I'm back home on Tuesday... Meanwhile shyuhe is up, Cam on deck.

Is anyone around for playing this?

I'd like to get some more chariots out asap. I'm seeing 3 dutch swords and I think they may be heading towards Jute. Jute should become ours at all cost, so we need some units standing by. I think it will be worth even the sacrifice of some units. However, hopefully WvO will just soften up the defenses for us. :please:

I'm wondering, if we get the northern iron, It won't be connected to the rest of the empire, will it? Before sailing it obviously won't, but even if we have it I'm not sure. Jute right now blocks the river connection, and not sure if we may have it connected through some other (foreign) city. All this to say that sailing would be nice to get in a trade.

I'll continue philo, GS will make academy in our capital. I presume we keep St Pete on 2 scientists for now?

We can still build 2 settlers. Does anybody see a remotely worthwile spot to settle? Maybe 2N3E of capital for the iron and some riverside grass?

As long as we don't build a road to the northern iron, it won't connect to our empire. We can improve the tile and just not connect it until we're ready to make metal based units.

I would run a 0% science for couple of turns (perhaps until Academy is built) to get more research for the same price :)

2N3E of capital looks decent to me. It's not going to cost us too much maintenance and in long term it will surely pay for itself.

We only need one more warrior IIRC, which is being build atm, so we can hook up Iron pretty fast. There are two chariots near the barb city for stealing the city. Hopefully WvO gives us a chance (if he attacks with just those three we've got reasonable odds). Another unit in the vicinity might be worthwhile.

I went ahead and played, it's been a week since last set and we have to get things going again. Holidays and SGOTM can't be the excuses forever. :)

Ended up playing 15 turns. A number of trades where made during the course of the set.

Spoiler :

As suggested by Ororo, went 0% research on philo until our GS was born and had built an academy in the capital. Then went full throttle, only to see Taoism founded by Justinian about one or two turns into researching it seriously. At that point decided it was better to go directly for Civil Service, as we obviously have a nice bureau cap. CS was also known already by the way, this time by Saladin.

In any case, I ended the set by researching CS and revolting to HR+bureau (note I traded for monarchy). As I hand it over we're just out of a 1 turn anarchy.

However, the biggest prize of the set was this one of course. :D

Between WvO and a wandering french sword, only 1 fully healthy archer was left in Jute. It cost us a chariot, but it is luckily ours now. And we got a precious worker as a bonus.

In other news we also founded the little dwelling 2N3E of the capital, which is aptly named Doolittle. Well, it will actually eventually do something with enough farms and mines. Note that I renamed northern iron city, the former barb city and the south eastern city all to Pixies albums as well. :) My brain has difficulties if somebody talks about "Carthage" when it's not the capital. I'd appreciate the other barb city when we capture it, or our last normal city to be called "Trompe le Monde" to complete the discography. :D

Here's an overview.

We got a level 4 unit. ;)

That other barb city has various single units from various nations around it, so keep alert. Surfer Rosa (iron city up north) will pop its borders finally in 2 turns which will give access to metal units (after mining the iron obviously, 2 workers are near). Good thing all warriors have been built. Last chariot is in the queue right now.

We should also start to think a bit more of which buildings to build in each city with our limits of 6 of each type. I queued a library in Come On Pilgrim (former barb city) because I think it won't really need a monument, which can be saved for Doolittle and other newer cities for instance.

You'll note above that 3 AIs are red fisted, while none is at war. :eek: It's good we'll shortly have metal units. I think New Jersey and Bossanova should start pumping those asap. We are WE of Justinian so he might target us. I don't hink WvO or Izzy is targetting us, but you never know. Anyway, axes and spears will be good. Cash for emergency upgrades too. :mischief:

Relations:

We have some health issues, so we should hook up the rice in the east. The first sugar plantation just got built, should also be hooked up (never remember though if sugar gives happy or health or both :p).

I cancelled the gems we were giving Izzy for free and instead traded them to WvO for spice.

That's all. :)

shyuhe is up, Cam is on deck.

Attachments

• The Devil is Six AD-0075.CivBeyondSwordSave
    169.4 KB · Views: 50
nocho,

Just read the report at this stage, but looks good. Great to get that Barbarian city without bad losses.

Could I possibly cut in front of shyuhe? As anticipated my time is very tight for the next couple of weeks, but I have much of Saturday and some of Sunday free, so I could squeeze in my turnset then if that's OK.

Fine by me. I don't have much time to play until next week anyways.

Do we want to identify commerce vs. production cities? That will help us figure out what cities should get what buildings.

Top Bottom