The Dutch

NickSD

History nerd
What're some good strategies to win a game with the Dutch?

Beeline optics, adopt caste system and generate great people, settle Indonisia and the north east coast of South America (for the spices) and send a settler in a galley round to found a city in Oz right at the start of the game. As your ships can travel through enemy territory its easy to do. Some people would probably advise sending a settler in a Galleon later but its unecessary and takes longer than the galley method.

Hamburg should flip to you if you have enough culture a wee bitty into your game and then you can also found another city in Denmark if you like which helps. Really though your powerhouse will turn out to be Australia and if you settle enough of it England doesnt seem to bother with it.

If you want to play in a different way to going for the UHV then America is your target for sending your settlers. The West coast is especially nice for strategic resources as the Americans spawn on the other side and take awhile to reach you. South East Africa is also a target (and historical) thats quiet productive. Providing you send workers to develop the areas fast.

thank you so much! I love your advice!

should I always avoid wars with Germany? those bastards won't let Hamburg flip!

I try to avoid wars with France, England, Germany and the Vikings as much as possible. I dont mind war with Spain or Russia so much (although France and Germany often let them through their territory to Amsterdam) but generally as the Netherlands I try to avoid wars. Thing is though I always go for the UHV.

If I was playing it for domination or something else I dare say I would war with France and Germany but only after I had built decent colonies in the Americas and Africa to support them (with Galleons its a short hop of 3 - 5 turns to supply troups from America or Africa to Europe).

I havent had any major wars on the occasions I have played the Dutch and the ones I did have I ended by paying off the aggressors with 50 - 100 gp and a map.

I will build an overseas empire, just to crush the Germans. They must die

I havent seen it if hes posted it anywhere.

Now if he would post them on the Wiki I could find out how to do Ethiopia before I have to hunt him down like a crazed net stalker and make him tell me...

Any success using spies, sabotage against Hamburg to make it flip?

Hamburg eventually flipped after a few centuries.
I disbanded it.

Is it better to keep it or scuttle it?

I crushed Hamburg out of spite.

I just accidentally conquered Aztec cities; should I keep them as well?

Hamburg eventually flipped after a few centuries.
I disbanded it.

Is it better to keep it or scuttle it?

I disband Hamburg and build city in Denmark(under pigs). If there isn't Oslo there wouldn't be any border problem with vikings, if there is Oslo then pigs would be probably in Viking's borders.

Aztec cities are part of my strategy in every game I am playing as European nation:) , they are realy good.

As Netherlands there is another reason to keep them when you are going for UHV, because there is spice;) .

Keeping or razing depends on the time ... in the early game, you do not really need all tiles of a cities surroundings because happiness and health stop your growth.

Later on, you can need them.

Early: Keep.
Late: Raze. (Of course, it is too late to raze a city you already kept. ;-) )

Nobody seems to go for south africa with the dutch?? I ussually send my second settler there to grab all those resources there. Kill the zulus when they spawn, and use it as a staging area to colonize asia and australia. While Amsterdam focus on colonizing america.

Top Bottom