The fact this release is so polarizing tells you something is wrong

civhawaii

Chieftain
Subject.

If it was great, we would all be able to agree. Well maybe not ALL, but there surely wouldn't be the same number of posts with name-calling and arguments going on now.

not really, this is exactly the same as it was 5 years ago when Civ 4 launched. It turned out to be a pretty nice game in the end.

I think the name calling says more about the individual users than the game.

I'm too historically minded to buy into the idea that polarizing means something is not great. A lot of great things are/were polarizing.

My standard response to that would be that the forum is a vocal minority, and the people who don't like the game are the ones complaining. That being said, the game hasn't quite lived up to my personal expectations. Many of the bugs / polish issues will be resolved through patches, but there are also a couple design decisions that I disagree with. It's still a good game, just not quite what I hoped it'd be.

Subject.

If it was great, we would all be able to agree. Well maybe not ALL, but there surely wouldn't be the same number of posts with name-calling and arguments going on now.

Some people think Civ 5 is great, some people think Civ 5 bad.

Therefore, Civ 5 is bad.

:crazyeye:

Most people don't think it's all THAT bad. There's 44,000 people playing Civ5 right this very minute, and there's what, a couple hundred complainers?

Seems the majority is quite enjoying themselves in the game. ;)

I would be too, but I'm at work. Civ tonight. :)

:) I wonder if Jon Shafer was ready for this. Its just so funny how much the Civ5s changes can upset some people.

I love Civ 5 more than I loved civ 4 when it first came out. Civ 5 with patches and mods are going to rock the socks of civ 4.

not really, this is exactly the same as it was 5 years ago when Civ 4 launched. It turned out to be a pretty nice game in the end.

My thoughts exactly. I'm totally unsurprised to see drama on the forums after the game is released.

Well you can divide issues into two groups;
1) things that are designed differently (that some don't like) because it is a different game.
2) pointless changes that have no real purpose such as not revealing the number of turns for worker completion when holding the mouse pointer over the unit.

But also there is a new issue because civ5 is carrying a little Steam parasite,... cogh cogh, ahem i mean a little Steam 'symbiosis'!

I wanted to believe this is true but if you go back and read this forum during the week of Civ 4's release it was nothing like it is now. Everyone pretty much knew it was going to be game of the year.

I agree with the original poster completely. It dovetails nicely with my similar theory on politics: "Because [politician] is not universally-liked, he/she MUST be bad".

Civ 5 with patches and mods are going to rock the socks of civ 4.

This is why so many games these days suck - it's become acceptable by a large enough segment of the consuming public to pay for unfinished/buggy/low-quality games because of "patches or mods" that will fix them. And I'm not talking specifically about any Civ game, but all games in general.

This is why so many games these days suck - it's become acceptable by a large enough segment of the consuming public to pay for unfinished/buggy/low-quality games because of "patches or mods" that will fix them. And I'm not talking specifically about any Civ game, but all games in general.

In principal it is a good idea to get public feedback before doing the final patches.... however i do feel sometimes game companies use it as an excuse to be lazy, honestly, how many times have i encounted an issue in a game and thought to myself "how can any reasonably minded person possibly think this is a good thing??" so then how is it possible for the developers building and testing the game did not notice?? Of course they noticed!

Some people just don't like change. That's understandable, after investing so much time intimately learning one rule set, being faced with a game that has different rules must be daunting.

I really enjoy Civ V. I imagine most people do too, because it's consistently the most played game on Steam, and any game being more popular than Counterstrike 1.6, Counterstrike Source, Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and Team Fortress 2 is something that's not been seen yet on Steam since MW2 hit the top of the chart last November. Of course the people who have complaints are going to voice them online, but most people are probably just enjoying the game oblivious of these or any forums.

Some people just don't like change. That's understandable, after investing so much time intimately learning one rule set, being faced with a game that has different rules must be daunting.

I really enjoy Civ V. I imagine most people do too, because it's consistently the most played game on Steam, and any game being more popular than Counterstrike 1.6, Counterstrike Source, Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and Team Fortress 2 is something that's not been seen yet on Steam since MW2 hit the top of the chart last November. Of course the people who have complaints are going to voice them online, but most people are probably just enjoying the game oblivious of these or any forums.

Ditto

Well you can divide issues into two groups;
1) things that are designed differently (that some don't like) because it is a different game.
2) pointless changes that have no real purpose such as not revealing the number of turns for worker completion when holding the mouse pointer over the unit.

But also there is a new issue because civ5 is carrying a little Steam parasite,... cogh cogh, ahem i mean a little Steam 'symbiosis'!

Completely ignores the long-loyal users that have refused to even buy the game because of its forced 3rd party software bundling.

Completely ignores the long-loyal users that have refused to even buy the game because of its forced 3rd party software bundling.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I don't buy any game that comes out on DVD-ROM because it's corporate fascism to force me to buy a DVD-player. I'm on to your game, corporate fat cats!

No, don't you get it? Those people - all of them - are idiots, and not True and Honest CivFanatics like us. WE are the only true diviners of ultimate strategy, and Civ V is not worthy.

So I have said it, so it is the case for everybody else in the world. That's how it works, right? I slept a lot during logic class.

Moderator Action: Trolling - warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Yeah, I feel the same way. I don't buy any game that comes out on DVD-ROM because it's corporate fascism to force me to buy a DVD-player. I'm on to your game, corporate fat cats!

No, don't you get it? Those people - all of them - are idiots, and not True and Honest CivFanatics like us. WE are the only true diviners of ultimate strategy, and Civ V is not worthy.

So I have said it, so it is the case for everybody else in the world. That's how it works, right? I slept a lot during logic class.

Nah, setting aside your Moderator Action: *snip* , there are issues besides the gameplay itself that could suggest a rushed release/incomplete game. Small graphical issues like pyramids and other buildings being built in the ocean, red spots appearing on tiles, an error filled Civilopedia, technical issues with DX11.

Look we all love Civilization; we wouldnt be here if we didnt. Some of us just expected more, and in my belief rightfully so.

Most people don't think it's all THAT bad. There's 44,000 people playing Civ5 right this very minute, and there's what, a couple hundred complainers?

Seems the majority is quite enjoying themselves in the game. ;)

I would be too, but I'm at work. Civ tonight. :)

44,000 peak for the day. Not bad at all. Wait until the game is released world-wide, I'm willing to bet on a typical Saturday that number will climb close to 100,000+.

Top Bottom