The Final Wonder Thread (at least for a while..)

Ashburnham

King
Over the past week or two, citizens have been having piecemeal discussions and polls on when/where/if we should build Wonders. The purpose of this thread is to reach a final consensus in time for the next Turnchat.

First, let's review what we've got so far..

- This poll suggests that the people would like to see 2 Wonders built sometime soon.
- Amoung the Wonders we have to choose from, this poll shows that the people choose Smith's as the Wonder they'd most like to build, with no clear choice for second. (This opinion is also evident in this discussion)
- There has been no consensus as to which city (or cities) we'd like to build Wonders in.

Other things we know..

- Almost all the other civilizations are building Sistine Chapel, so there's little chance we'll be able to build it before them.
- Almost every other civ is also building Sun Tzu's, so that's off the list as well.
- Babylon is building Leo's Workshop, so if we want to build that we'd need to start soon.

So, it's pretty clear that we'd like to build Smith's in the next Turnchat, but where has yet to be determined. Let's look at when it could be done depending on what city it's in...

Fanatikku: 26 Turns if we interrupt the University being built (2 Turns away from completion). 38 Turns if we wait for the University to finish.
Zojoji: 36 Turns. A Bank is being built, but no shield have been put in it yet (10 Turns away).
Shorin-Ryu: 30 Turns if we interrupt the Bank being built (6 Turns away). 38 Turns if we wait for the Bank to finish.
Odawara: 33 Turns if we interrupt the University being built (10 Turns away). 46 Turns if we wait for the University to finish.
Immo: 39 Turns if we interrupt the University being built (8 Turns away). 55 Turns if we wait for the University to finish.
No other towns are viable Wonder sites.

These times are the same for any other Wonder we want to build except Copernicus' which is 200 shields less.

There's also the issue of the second Wonder we want to build. Our choices are Sistine Chapel, Sun Tzu's Art of War, Copernicus' Observatory, Leonardo's Workshop, and Magellan's Voyage (I'm assuming we won't research Free Artistry or Music Theory). Of these, I would suggest Leo's Workshop. Sistine is out because there's no chance we'll build it before another civ, and I think Leo's is the best Wonder on the list after Sistine.

In conclusion, we have 2 Wonders needing to be built and 5 possible cities to build them in. One of the Wonders will definately be Smith's, the other is still uncertain but I think Leo's is the best bet. As for cities, I suggest building Smith's in Zojoji (fast production without having to interrupt anything) and Leo's in Shorin-Ryu (we'd be interrupting a Bank, but we need to to get Leo done before the Babs).

Those are my suggestions, but I'm open to others. Please discuss..

With a couple pre-builds going isn't it wise to research other techs leading to wonders (like music theory)? Or are we so far advanced that we need not fear competition?

(Please note I do not look at the save and don't have all day to pan for gold in the forums looking for little nuggets of information. Well, I do have all day since I'm on vacation but I'd rather spend it playing the GOTM. :D )

Donsig, it's not that we can't research Wonder techs. It's that we're most likely not going to. I think JS Bach is a great Wonder, but the chances of getting the WOTP to choose to research a deadend tech whose only benefit is a Wonder are pretty slim.

If you think I'm wrong, I'll gladly add JS Bach's and Shakespeare's to the Wonder list. But, I just don't think it's worth it. :(

Well now, there are other ways of getting techs besides researching them. Again, I don't know if we've got these other wonders locked up or not. If not then perhaps it would be wise to try to trade for music theory and / or free artistry somewhere down the road.

Now is the time to start thinking about that (and start ascertaining the WotP). We should not wait until we're about to lose shields (again) before discussing these other two wonders. Backup plans are not bad things to have.

donsig said:
Well now, there are other ways of getting techs besides researching them. Again, I don't know if we've got these other wonders locked up or not. If not then perhaps it would be wise to try to trade for music theory and / or free artistry somewhere down the road.

Now is the time to start thinking about that (and start ascertaining the WotP). We should not wait until we're about to lose shields (again) before discussing these other two wonders. Backup plans are not bad things to have.

I agree, donsig. Perhaps a list of Wonders in order of their priority to the people would be in order. Thus, if one of the Wonders is completed by another civ before we do it, we can go on to the next one.

(note: this list is simply my feelings on the matter at this particular moment and doesn't necessarily mean anything)

1. Smith's Trading Company
2. Leonardo's Workshop
3. Sistine Chapel
4. JS Bach's Cathedral
5. Copernicus' Observatory
6. Magellan's Voyage
7. Sun Tzu's Art of War
8. Shakespeare's Theatre

If anyone has a different list, please post it.

I think we should build now only 1 wonder and NOT in Fanatikku. That means Zojoji or Shorin-Ryu.

Don't forget cascading, When one AI builds Sunz Tzu, Next turn another will complete Sistine's and 3rd Leo's. We can already say goodbye to those wonders and hope to build a wonder that other civs can't yet (i.e. Smiths or later wonders).

Its better to build wonder outside of capital because we can make palace switch if needed.

while i dont think we should be hogging wonders, a few wont hurt
and the only one i think we should get right now is the observatory

Were unable to do much, because our leaders don't seem to work together to well. A govonor should have started pre-building by now.

Strider said:
Were unable to do much, because our leaders don't seem to work together to well. A govonor should have started pre-building by now.
*BH senses reforms*

Strider said:

Sure.... blame it on the governors..

Strider said:
You're right, I haven't started a prebuild. :rolleyes:

Seriously, however, the WOTP regarding where to start the prebuild was not clear for the last turnchat, and I'm not sure it's clear now. I'm not really sure why. It does seem Shorin-Ryu should get a prebuild.

donsig said:
So are we pre-building any right now or not?

As of right this moment, no we are not prebuilding anything. There's been quite a bit of confusion/absences/restructering here at the culture ministry in the past few weeks. Luckily, we're getting back on track and should have a prebuild and a Wonder started by tomorrow (the next TC). It looks like Smith's is going to be built in Shorin-Ryu (where we already have a bit of a prebuild with the bank they're building). The site of the prebuild has yet to be determined, but Zojoji seems to have a lot of popular support.

I think the plan for next TC will be to start Smith's in Shorin-Ryu and start a prebuild-- for what we're not sure-- in Zojoji. However, if anyone has any reservations about this, please let me know.

Ashburnham said:
As of right this moment, no we are not prebuilding anything. There's been quite a bit of confusion/absences/restructering here at the culture ministry in the past few weeks. Luckily, we're getting back on track and should have a prebuild and a Wonder started by tomorrow (the next TC). It looks like Smith's is going to be built in Shorin-Ryu (where we already have a bit of a prebuild with the bank they're building). The site of the prebuild has yet to be determined, but Zojoji seems to have a lot of popular support.

I think the plan for next TC will be to start Smith's in Shorin-Ryu and start a prebuild-- for what we're not sure-- in Zojoji. However, if anyone has any reservations about this, please let me know.

Just a question, with the prebuilds are we taking into account how long it will take to get some of the techs?

Ashburnham said:

Please, instructiong starting prebuilds/wonders in TCIT thread. I'll post current queue for Shorin with option to override it to prebuild. But its ultimately culture ministry decision.

TimBentley said:
You're right, I haven't started a prebuild. :rolleyes:

Seriously, however, the WOTP regarding where to start the prebuild was not clear for the last turnchat, and I'm not sure it's clear now. I'm not really sure why. It does seem Shorin-Ryu should get a prebuild.

It does not matter if it was clear or not, you should have had something ready to change just incase one of your cities were chosen for the pre-build. You can always switch it to something else.

Top Bottom