1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Future of CIV III GOTM

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

I also do not think that we should even try to get new beginners into this game. It is not realistic.

The difficult task is to design spoiler dates or requirements that make discussing the game interesting even if we have one guy going for 100k, one for 20k, two for space, one for Diplo and four for Domination, but two of them failed because time ran out. Also two of the players finished the game on the day it was published, whereas three struggle to meet the deadline at all and one funny guy only started in the last week because wifie decided to go visit her parents.

2. Più Freddo

Here's an idea for a little cohesion without too much compulsion:

A heptathlon tournament running over the whole year. Not the heptathlon in winning games, of course, but e.g. the sum of the total number of turns. (Average victory date for a heptathlon.) First heptathlon, so to speak.

We could have a table with the current standing. With eight games we could have one spare for each player.

One parallel tournament each for PTW and C3C, or we could mix them for more chances and options.

3. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

With "one spare" you mean one bye? And the VCs are not fixed, so everyone can decide for himself, in which game he's going to attempt what VC, right?

4. Più Freddo

I mean VCs are not fixed. If we have eight games and seven are needed, then the eighth is spare, it can be used for a missing VC.

Or we can have sixteen games per player, half C3C and half PTW, for more chances. We can weigh the victory dates according to our earlier best dates for each game.

Or we can have four each of each kind, one game each per quarter, and really only one game to spare for a heptathlon.

What say you, is this game a HOTY?

5. Lanzelot

Don't know what a HOTY is, but the Heptathlon idea sounds good to me. 16 games, so that the players, who design some games, also have a chance at competing.

6. Più Freddo

Heptathlon Of The Year

7. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

That sounds like a fun idea. Although I know I would stand no chance of the top spot, it's still a nice way to encourage participation in more of the games, while having flexibility in what each player aims for in each game.

8. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain Supporter

I am going to try to be a new player starting with the present game. I think it is due in January 2019, and I can complete it by then.
    In fact, I expect it to be quickly eliminated so I should be able to post sooner. I am getting better though...

9. Più Freddo

We do compensate slightly and design the games on harder levels to be survivable and winnable also for players who might not always survive a randomly generated Deity or Sid game.

10. Captain_Jack

I am trying to become a new player in the Civ3 GOTM competition, but I expect to be dead last in the rankings by a country mile. I am finding it quite difficult to download the game; I have trouble getting the exact copy of Civ3 that is needed, I have trouble opening the GOTM after it is downloaded, I have trouble understanding all the acronyms used. I have many troubles...
    I am trying to work it out and Thunderfall has been a big help, but it's too bad that the bar to entry is so high. There might be many other low-level Civ players that would participate if it were easier to join up. I'm sure the obstacles are unavoidable and I'm extraordinarily impressed that there is such a well organized group of players dedicated to such a good but old game.
    Jack

11. CKS

CKS Chieftain

When I started playing GOTM, I was really bad. After submitting my first effort on the first game (on monarch or maybe regent), I tried the same game over and over, and I never made it past gunpowder in about 10 tries. I thought I'd never be able to win. I have an impressive collection of red ambulances (the award for the lowest scoring loser). Other players were really helpful in teaching me how to play better.

We are really happy to have you here. Ask about anything - it can seem overwhelming at first, but you'll catch on pretty quickly, at least so far as knowing what people are writing about. Maybe we can come up with a "How to get set up to play GOTM" guide for new players, so as to make it a bit easier on other new folks.

COTM - the Conquests game of the month - should be playable by pretty much anyone without too much hassle. The only thing that might be an issue is the pediaicons.txt file if the game has Austria in it. GOTM - the Play the World game of the month - is trickier, since modern copies of the game don't have PTW.

12. Più Freddo

I think the best way to use the friendly Game of the Month (soon Game of the Quarter) competition is to write spoilers detailing not only what you have done, but also why you have done it. Since other players play the same game, you can either simply read their spoilers and compare or hope for (or solicit!) comments on your game. There is also a replay facility allowing you to compare overall development such as city placement and important events between your submitted game and others.

One more tip is to search the forum for spoilers by SirPleb. He was one of the best players ever and certainly the one who wrote the most instructive spoilers. You can in many cases download the corresponding game and compare notes.

At the moment, we are playing a Deity game in GOTM and the upcoming game for COTM is at Sid level. These are perhaps not very suitable for beginners, even if we traditionally make difficult games easier (and easy games more difficult) by map design.

13. Lanzelot

SirPleb is one of the legendary players, and many strategies and tricks that are today part of every experienced player's arsenal, have been invented by him.

Another tip I can give you: read the articles in the War Academy: https://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/
    Especially Cracker’s Opening Plays Site. When I first came to this site here in 2007, I spent one or two Sunday afternoons studying this article in detail, and it changed my game forever.

14. Captain_Jack

I have casually looked at the Cracker's Opening Site pages but not in any detail. I will do so this weekend. Thanks for the tip.
    This will be fun, IF I can get the GOTM eventually opened.